Breakthrough!- 'The 'Pandora Gene'

John Jones

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:
life as 'chemical reactions' cannot differentiate life from chemicals in general.

Oh, I think life on the chemical level is easily differentiable from chemistry in general. Take photosynthesis for instance: carbon dioxide and water combine in the presence of sunlight to produce sugars and oxygen as a byproduct. It only occurs naturally within plant chloroplasts and cyanobacteria, as far as I know.

Yes, but then you have to say why you have chosen to look at plants and bacteria and what chemical reason makes them life-forms.

All representatives of the five kingdoms--plants, animals, fungi, protists, and bacteria--have complex, dynamic structures that are maintained by hundreds if not thousands of chemical reactions that can occur only within narrow ranges of environmental conditions, in the absence of which they rapidly decay.

I often use the example of the surface of the sun. Here we have an extraordinary complexity of reactions, typified by speed and the exchange of photons; it has a complexity on a par with the chemistry of life-forms.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
John Jones wrote:
I often use the example of the surface of the sun. Here we have an extraordinary complexity of reactions, typified by speed and the exchange of photons; it has a complexity on a par with the chemistry of life-forms.

Life-forms replicate, but stars do not. I deliberately omitted replication from my list of characteristics shared by living organisms since it's common knowledge. Further, stars do not adapt to changing, external environmental conditions, at least not in any ongoing, continual basis, as life-forms do; this adaptation characteristic was what I alluded to by using the term dynamic structure. Finally, the chemical reactions in life-forms occur in specific sequences, with many products of reactions forming material for further reactions, the most notable example being enzymes, which are proteins that serve to catalyze reactions that would otherwise occur too slowly to sustain an organism.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 02:58 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Life-forms replicate, but stars do not. I deliberately omitted replication from my list of characteristics shared by living organisms since it's common knowledge. Further, stars do not adapt to changing, external environmental conditions, at least not in any ongoing, continual basis, as life-forms do; this adaptation characteristic was what I alluded to by using the term dynamic structure. Finally, the chemical reactions in life-forms occur in specific sequences, with many products of reactions forming material for further reactions, the most notable example being enzymes, which are protein sequences that serve to catalyze reactions that would otherwise occur too slowly to sustain an organism.

I will answer all points. I have not copied and pasted old material here, it is all fresh.

Concerning adaptation: It is not clear what is meant by 'a creature is adapted to its environment'. The adaptations a creature 'possesses' already define a specific environment or they would not be adaptations. And if a creature is a list of attributes or adaptations, then it is certain that there will be an environment to which it is adapted. I think the error that creeps in here with the statement 'a creature is adapted to its environment' is made by falsely distinguishing between two definitions of 'creature' (one that is composed of attributes, and one that is not) and claiming a causal relationship between them. So in the phrase 'a creature is adapted to its environment', we refer to the physical presence as 'creature' and also to a creature as a list of attributes by 'its environment', and then claim that there is an 'adaptation'.

Concerning the sequences of chemical reactions in life-forms: It could be argued that any physical process has set sequences. It merely behoves us to define the steps. What objects we use to define our steps are our own constructions, wrought from theory, or use, for example. So we would still need to say why the objects constructed and typified by biochemistry are examples that specify a life-form.

Concerning replication: Replication is possibly the strongest claim for defining a life-form. It certainly seems to be a necessary condition for a life-form, but is it a sufficient condition for defining a life-form? The first thing I would note is that the definition, by virtue of being a chemical definition, is impoverished: we would not expect chemical descriptions to meet a definition of life-form that would satisfy us if we wished to encompass by it the breadth of human affairs, for example. This diminishes the power of the definition even if it is shown to be a sufficient condition for defining a life-form.

An argument against replication being a sufficient condition for defining a life-form can be raised. Replication is one type of chemical reaction; there are many others, such as substitution, elimination, reduction, oxidation, etc. All of these occur in life-forms. They also occur elsewhere in varying degrees. So we would still need to say why 'just this precise mix of chemical reactions' define a life-form.

A third objection can be raised against replication being either a necessary or sufficient condition of a life-form. While we may be able to describe objects as life-forms it is not the life-forms as material objects that inform us of their status as life-objects or life-forms. There is also no sound materialist reason for choosing the objects we commonly describe as life-forms. The claim that life-forms are 'found' in nature is not one that can be made by any materialist doctrine such as evolutionary biology. The objects that constitute life-forms can be described by a materialist doctrine but not pointed out by it. To point out a life-form we must turn to common knowledge held by life-forms in general, that knowledge being their ability to recognise life-forms such as themselves. What happens in evolutionary biology is that we map a life-form of common knowledge to the chemistry that accompanies it. A mapping does not constitute a relationship. Consequently, we cannot claim that chemical replication is either a necessary or sufficient condition of being a life-form.

Ta. I can respond, you see. People only have to ask.

(c) John Jones
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:23 pm
John Jones wrote:
Concerning adaptation: It is not clear what is meant by 'a creature is adapted to its environment'. The adaptations a creature 'possesses' already define a specific environment or they would not be adaptations. And if a creature is a list of attributes or adaptations, then it is certain that there will be an environment to which it is adapted. I think the error that creeps in here with the statement 'a creature is adapted to its environment' is made by falsely distinguishing between two definitions of 'creature' (one that is composed of attributes, and one that is not) and claiming a causal relationship between them. So in the phrase 'a creature is adapted to its environment', we refer to the physical presence as 'creature' and also to a creature as a list of attributes by 'its environment', and then claim that there is an 'adaptation'.

Yes, it's good of you to respond. Adaptation may have been a poor choice of words, so let me rephrase more simply and say that life-forms respond to changes in the external environment in order to maintain their internal environment within limits that allow each organism to survive long enough to reproduce. A few examples would be seeking food, sleeping, avoiding pain, reptiles sunning themselves, hibernation, deciduous trees shedding leaves in the fall, immune responses, salamanders regrowing limbs, and seasonal migration. So kindly provide an analogous example of the sun responding to changes in its external environment.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:50 pm
John Jones wrote:
Concerning adaptation: It is not clear what is meant by 'a creature is adapted to its environment' The adaptations a creature 'possesses' already define a specific environment or they would not be adaptations. And if a creature is a list of attributes or adaptations, then it is certain that there will be an environment to which it is adapted. I think the error that creeps in here with the statement 'a creature is adapted to its environment' is made by falsely distinguishing between two definitions of 'creature' (one that is composed of attributes, and one that is not) and claiming a causal relationship between them. So in the phrase 'a creature is adapted to its environment', we refer to the physical presence as 'creature' and also to a creature as a list of attributes by 'its environment', and then claim that there is an 'adaptation'.

I don't understand this last sentence. "... a creature as a lits of attributes by 'its environment', ..." Sorry, but I just can't parse it.

Quote:
Concerning the sequences of chemical reactions in life-forms: It could be argued that any physical process has set sequences. It merely behoves us to define the steps. What objects we use to define our steps are our own constructions, wrought from theory, or use, for example. So we would still need to say why the objects constructed and typified by biochemistry are examples that specify a life-form.

What's wrong with constructions? What description do we have of anything at all that is not a construction?

Biochemistry inherently is an applied science, though the applications may not benefit us in any tangible way. Generally accepted parameters for defining what is alive (order, reproduction, growth and development, energy utilization, active response to the environment, and homeostasis, to crib from the Campbell and Reece* textbook) were recognized before the chemistry of living things was explored in any real detail. Nonetheless, it is easy to recognize with even a little bit of study that the reactants and kinetics inside a cell are spectacularly different than the chemistry that takes place elsewhere in the environment.

Were we to find something that met all other criteria for being alive, we would have to amend the parameters by which we define biochemistry (and biochemists would be more than happy to do this -- think of all the grant money), not the parameters by which we define what is alive.

Quote:
Quote:
Concerning replication: Replication is possibly the strongest claim for defining a life-form. It certainly seems to be a necessary condition for a life-form, but is it a sufficient condition for defining a life-form?
The first thing I would note is that the definition, by virtue of being a chemical definition, is impoverished: we would not expect chemical descriptions to meet a definition of life-form that would satisfy us if we wished to encompass by it the breadth of human affairs, for example. This diminishes the power of the definition even if it is shown to be a sufficient condition for defining a life-form.

Of course it would be impoverished. A description of any object in purely chemical terms would be an impoverished definition.

Quote:
An argument against replication being a sufficient condition for defining a life-form can be raised. Replication is one type of chemical reaction; there are many others, such as substitution, elimination, reduction, oxidation, etc. All of these occur in life-forms. They also occur elsewhere in varying degrees. So we would still need to say why 'just this precise mix of chemical reactions' define a life-form.

I agree. Replication is not a sufficient condition for defining a life-form -- though modifying this to reproduction (which does, of course, require a great deal of chemical replication) goes some way toward remedying this problem.

Replication, by the way, is not a type of chemical reaction -- certainly not in the way that substitution, elimination, or redox are. Replication of DNA, for example, includes these (and many other) reaction classes; it is not comparable to them.

Quote:
A third objection can be raised against replication being either a necessary or sufficient condition of a life-form. While we may be able to describe objects as life-forms it is not the life-forms as material objects that inform us of their status as life-objects or life-forms. There is also no sound materialist reason for choosing the objects we commonly describe as life-forms. The claim that life-forms are 'found' in nature is not one that can be made by any materialist doctrine such as evolutionary biology. The objects that constitute life-forms can be described by a materialist doctrine but not pointed out by it. To point out a life-form we must turn to common knowledge held by life-forms in general, that knowledge being their ability to recognise life-forms such as themselves. What happens in evolutionary biology is that we map a life-form of common knowledge to the chemistry that accompanies it. A mapping does not constitute a relationship. Consequently, we cannot claim that chemical replication is either a necessary or sufficient condition of being a life-form.

Until we map a life form to some other sort of chemistry, it is very useful to us to say that such-and-such a chemistry is a feature of things that are alive. Whether it meets this or that philosophical criterion for "trueness" is neither here nor there: so far, this particular connect-the-dots puzzle presents a very useful picture of a what a living thing is like.

Quote:
Ta. I can respond, you see. People only have to ask.

(c) John Jones

Okay, I'll ask again: what does the "Pandora gene" that you mentioned at the beginning of this thread actually do? In what organisms is it found? What effect does a loss-of-function mutation have on the organism(s)?

In short -- what is it?

* The authors also include "evolutionary adaptation" among their "properties of life," which, in this context, begs the question more than a bit...
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:32 am
Quote:
I don't understand this last sentence. "... a creature as a lits of attributes by 'its environment', ..." Sorry, but I just can't parse it.

If a creature is a list of attributes and adaptations then they are adaptations with respect to a particular, named envirinment. Accordingly, we cannot claim that a creature, as a list of attributes or adaptations, 'adapts' to that environment. It could also be argued that the Sun adapts to changes.

Quote:
Nonetheless, it is easy to recognize with even a little bit of study that the reactants and kinetics inside a cell are spectacularly different than the chemistry that takes place elsewhere in the environment.

If we are going to widen our view of a life-form away from the definition of it as a replicating chemical to a point where we eventually meet surprising complexity we still need to say what it is about the complexity that surprises us into thinking that it is a life-form.

Quote:
Replication, by the way, is not a type of chemical reaction -- certainly not in the way that substitution, elimination, or redox are. Replication of DNA, for example, includes these (and many other) reaction classes; it is not comparable to them.

Replication is not a named type of chemical reaction, but if evolutionary biology maintains its stance that the essence of life is found in the chemical gene, then it must say that replication is a chemical reaction or outcome. I don't think the chemists would be put out by this addition to their repertoire of reactions.

Quote:
Until we map a life form to some other sort of chemistry, it is very useful to us to say that such-and-such a chemistry is a feature of things that are alive. Whether it meets this or that philosophical criterion for "trueness" is neither here nor there

Yes, it is useful to make mappings. A mapping is neither true nor false, however, as no relationship is created by a mapping.

Quote:
Okay, I'll ask again: what does the "Pandora gene" that you mentioned at the beginning of this thread actually do? In what organisms is it found? What effect does a loss-of-function mutation have on the organism

The pandora gene is an idea, put out by myself in the form of a spoof article. The pandora gene suggested a new way of perceiving genes. This was that genes do not belong to individual animals but to an ecosystem. Changes in the communal genes may make an individual animal more, or less, succesful at reproduction, but at the expense of the success of all animals in the ecosystem. If all genes were pandora genes then we can no longer regard individual animals as creatures seeking personal survival. And this is borne out empirically, for many creatures sacrifice themselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
john jones
Quote:
The pandora gene suggested a new way of perceiving genes. This was that genes do not belong to individual animals but to an ecosystem

Language is a tool john. We have assigned specific meanings to words, and these meanings do us fine. You, however, have decided to alter meanings and uses with your gibberish. A gene has specific properties, none of which include an extrinsic existence. .
Youre reaching for an extreme gaiast type of theoryhere, wherein all things feed back upon each other so that , even the physical surroundings are imbued with life -like properties. The misundesrtandings that you persist in pushing are based totally upon your (I assume purposeful) misuse of terms. For example , your use of "creature" AS attributes is a bit of purposeful erroneous miscasting A creature adapts to the environment presented it, or dies, or begins the process of evolution..
Quote:
It is not clear what is meant by 'a creature is adapted to its environment'. The adaptations a creature 'possesses' already define a specific environment or they would not be adaptations. And if a creature is a list of attributes or adaptations, then it is certain that there will be an environment to which it is adapted.

Youve gotta agree that this captioned paragraph that you put down is mostly devoid of meaning or sense. Its almost double-talk. You miss the context that the use of the word adaptations was presented you.
Im curious, why do you think that copywrighting your stuff is meaningful

1If you think its scholarly, then you would like it freely disseminated and quoted, based upon your ok

2If youre going to sell it , then youd have to find a publisher whod take on your worldview as important enough to "make a buck"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
Quote:
And this is borne out empirically, for many creatures sacrifice themselves.

If you're talking about animals that display what we would call "altruism," it is almost inevitably for another animal of its own species (be it a subordinate wolf helping to raise anothers pups or a worker bee stinging and dying to defend the hive). I can't think of an example of an animal making any sort of sacrifice for the good of its ecosystem.

Perhaps you could describe some sort of scenario (a parable, if you will) to make clearer what you are getting at. I can only guess where you're coming from, and I've no way to know if my guesses are right -- and, right or wrong, they aren't presenting me with a very clear picture.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:32 pm
Its clear to him dog. Im afraid we have a "not so parallel universe" thing goin on here.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
john jones
Quote:
The pandora gene suggested a new way of perceiving genes. This was that genes do not belong to individual animals but to an ecosystem

Language is a tool john. We have assigned specific meanings to words, and these meanings do us fine. You, however, have decided to alter meanings and uses with your gibberish. A gene has specific properties, none of which include an extrinsic existence. .
Youre reaching for an extreme gaiast type of theoryhere, wherein all things feed back upon each other so that , even the physical surroundings are imbued with life -like properties. The misundesrtandings that you persist in pushing are based totally upon your (I assume purposeful) misuse of terms. For example , your use of "creature" AS attributes is a bit of purposeful erroneous miscasting A creature adapts to the environment presented it, or dies, or begins the process of evolution..
Quote:
It is not clear what is meant by 'a creature is adapted to its environment'. The adaptations a creature 'possesses' already define a specific environment or they would not be adaptations. And if a creature is a list of attributes or adaptations, then it is certain that there will be an environment to which it is adapted.

Youve gotta agree that this captioned paragraph that you put down is mostly devoid of meaning or sense. Its almost double-talk. You miss the context that the use of the word adaptations was presented you.
Im curious, why do you think that copywrighting your stuff is meaningful

1If you think its scholarly, then you would like it freely disseminated and quoted, based upon your ok

2If youre going to sell it , then youd have to find a publisher whod take on your worldview as important enough to "make a buck"

You can't say a creature is adapted to its environment. The environment is defined by the creature, the creature defines an environment; you seem to think there is a common environment for all creatures.
If you also say that a creature has 'adaptations' which I am sure you will, then your definition of a creature is that it is a list of attributes. We can't say in that case that a creature is adapted to its environment because attributes are attributes with respect to an environment.

I think you should rephrase your idea that a gene has properties that are not extrinsic. It sounds either confused or an acknowledgemnt of a spirit in the gene.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:45 pm
John Jones wrote:

A crucial detail that distinguishes replication of life forms is the process of cell-division. Cellular organization is a defining characteristic of every known lifeform, and without reproduction based on cell division, the earth could only sustain a population of invulnerable organisms. So allow me to define life as replication in this sense, combined with cellular organization and interaction with the environment through complex chemical reactions. Should you produce a counterexample of an object commonly regarded as inanimate that satifies my revised definition, I will attempt to revise my definition further.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
And this is borne out empirically, for many creatures sacrifice themselves.

If you're talking about animals that display what we would call "altruism," it is almost inevitably for another animal of its own species (be it a subordinate wolf helping to raise anothers pups or a worker bee stinging and dying to defend the hive). I can't think of an example of an animal making any sort of sacrifice for the good of its ecosystem.

Perhaps you could describe some sort of scenario (a parable, if you will) to make clearer what you are getting at. I can only guess where you're coming from, and I've no way to know if my guesses are right -- and, right or wrong, they aren't presenting me with a very clear picture.

No living thing is naturally altruistic. Altruism is against life. A creature does not support its ecosystem with altruistic acts, and it is not necessary for it to be conscious if or when it does support its ecosystem. If evolutionary biology wishes to stick to physical facts, which it should do as a supposedly materialist doctrine, then we need only consider the effects on the ecosystem, and not states of mind of the creatures that populate it. Indeed, we should not even entertain the idea that a creature has a state of mind any more than the total ecosystem has a state of mind, for neither can be argued for. Anyway, there is no doubt that if one creature is given sudden advantage the ecosystem can partially collapse.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:10 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

A crucial detail that distinguishes replication of life forms is the process of cell-division. Cellular organization is a defining characteristic of every known lifeform, and without reproduction based on cell division, the earth could only sustain a population of invulnerable organisms. So allow me to define life as replication in this sense, combined with cellular organization and interaction with the environment through complex chemical reactions. Should you produce a counterexample of an object commonly regarded as inanimate that satifies my revised definition, I will attempt to revise my definition further.

I wanted to say that describing the complexity of an assumed life-form leaves the question of what defines a life-form unanswered. But I think that would be a bit stingy of me. So I will try this instead:
Many religions attribute a conscious spirit to inanimate matter. Volcanoes, partcularly are associated with a dynamic conscious presence which even the traveller may admit to considering.
Likewise with life-forms such as ourselves, we are quite well aware of our own bodies and consider them to be an integral part of who we are. We say that the human body and an active mind constitute life, human life. We can take this further and look at the cells of our body and consider them an integral part of human life. In other words, we can easily make the link between our body and our mind. Where we have no mind, as in the case of the volcano, we say it is superstitious to make a link by claiming that the volcano has a mind if it has a body. That may be so, but the point is that to define the cells of the body by linking them to mind is equally mysterious, or at least a non-materialist argument.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:25 pm
Quote:
The environment is defined by the creature, the creature defines an environment; you seem to think there is a common environment for all creatures.

Im having deja vu here. Check please.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:24 pm
Quote:
No living thing is naturally altruistic. Altruism is against life.

I didn't bring up altruism. You did.

Quote:
If all genes were pandora genes then we can no longer regard individual animals as creatures seeking personal survival. And this is borne out empirically, for many creatures sacrifice themselves.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:28 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
No living thing is naturally altruistic. Altruism is against life.

I didn't bring up altruism. You did.

Quote:
If all genes were pandora genes then we can no longer regard individual animals as creatures seeking personal survival. And this is borne out empirically, for many creatures sacrifice themselves.

I was responding to your last post which talked of altruism. And feed your bloody dog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:33 pm
I never brought up altruism until you said that "many creatures sacrifice themselves," quoted above. If you meant something other than altruism by that, I'm sorry. Otherwise, please keep the dog and your growing rancor out of it. I've simply been trying -- quite calmly, I think -- to figure out what it is that you're saying...

...Not that I'm getting anywhere, as you keep shifting the target whenever you are asked for something more concrete. You've wandered far afield without ever stating a thesis, and when asked for further clarification on your Pandora's gene idea, you've sidestepped and stated that it was merely a "spoof." (Excuse me if my memory on that particular word is not spot on.) When asked for clarification about this, you've gone back to definitions of life and talk about volcanoes.

Ah, well, what to do.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:36 pm
patiodog wrote:
I never brought up altruism until you said that "many creatures sacrifice themselves," quoted above. If you meant something other than altruism by that, I'm sorry. Otherwise, please keep the dog and your growing rancor out of it. I've simply been trying -- quite calmly, I think -- to figure out what it is that you're saying...

...Not that I'm getting anywhere, as you keep shifting the target whenever you are asked for something more concrete. You've wandered far afield without ever stating a thesis, and when asked for further clarification on your Pandora's gene idea, you've sidestepped and stated that it was merely a "spoof." (Excuse me if my memory on that particular word is not spot on.) When asked for clarification about this, you've gone back to definitions of life and talk about volcanoes.

Ah, well, what to do.

The 'pandora gene' suggested a new way of perceiving genes. This was that genes do not belong to individual animals but to an ecosystem. Changes in the communal genes may make an individual animal more, or less, succesful at reproduction, but at the expense of the success of all animals in the ecosystem. If all genes were pandora genes then we can no longer regard individual animals as creatures seeking personal survival.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
That brings up a few thoughts in my mind.

The first is that you're taking a mighty big step in moving from your supposition that it might be valid (that is, useful) to look at a particular gene as a Pandora's gene to the supposition that all genes might be such. You seem to assume that any ecosystem exists in a sort of unchanging equilibrium, and this is not the case. Habitats are always in flux, because of external influences (e.g., climate) and because of internal influences (shifting flora or fauna over time as a result of competition for limited resources, as has been noted as grassland gives way to scrub gives way to woods in an area that's been burned out). Even "old-growth" forests -- supposed climax communities -- are mere blips on an ecological time scale. Africa, for instance, has been de- and reforested a number of times over the eons.

Another is that you seem to consider the survival of the habitat as being somehow at odds with the survival of the individual animal. But the animal is only really in competition with its compatriots. The carrying capacity of a region for wolves, for example, is practically independent of which wolves survive. So the biological imperative in the wolf is not at odds with filling (or staying within) its niche. The creatures that will lose out are the other wolves. Granted, if all of the wolves become spectacularly successful hunters, they may decimate their prey population -- but then they'll either die out themselves or the prey population will develop new means of evading predation.

You seem to speak of "the ecosystem" as something that is static, that is an end in itself. But, in fact, enormous canges do occur, and selfish genes do win out and drastically alter things without any regard whatsoever for the status quo. Consider how different things were when dinosaurs were the dominant vertebrates and gymnosperms were the dominant form of plantlife. Now we've got mammals and angiosperms (though not exclusively, of course). Things change. And one of the reasons things change is that genes serve the species, not the ecosystem.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
Quote:
Changes in the communal genes may make an individual animal more, or less, succesful at reproduction, but at the expense of the success of all animals in the ecosystem. If all genes were pandora genes then we can no longer regard individual animals as creatures seeking personal survival.

youd better watch, youre getting dangerously close to preaching evolution here.
0 Replies