Breakthrough!- 'The 'Pandora Gene'

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
Recent research in environmental biology threatens to overturn the whole survivalist basis upon which evolution theory is based. Dawkins and Darwin may simply be relegated to technician status by the new revelations:

Scientists have discovered a group of genes amongst animals in specific environmental populations that do not serve the individual animal, but serve the total species population * itself. They found that if one of these genes, called the Pandora Gene(s) is eliminated then certain physical characteristics of each creature may change for the better or worse, as it is judged by breeding success, but which inevitably leads to a collapse, partial or total, of the total species population in that specific environment.

Astonishingly, this leads us to consider the idea that a creature's identity is found scattered among the total species population, which leads us to conclude that 'survival of the fittest' is no longer tenable.

* (The 'total species population' refers to all creatures, plants and animals, found in a specific environment.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,681 • Replies: 114
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
Got any citations to this breakthrough work? Every science site I've looked doesn't seem to have heard of it.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
But this is a survival trait. Survival of the individual means nothing. The species is everything, John. You might want to take a look at Robert Ardry's "Social Contract."
0 Replies

babylonian

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
i think one of natures most beautiful quality is the fact that in her generation of things, she ought not make anything perfect.
for if any creation becomes perfect, in the first change, it will cease to exist.

an example are self replicating plants. in the event of a climate change that is unsuitable to the specie, it is in danger of becoming extinct.

so its in natures favour to ensure, while holding things together in a workable pattern, not to go making it a branch too far from the common tree.....

so much for living forever.......
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:42 am
roger wrote:
But this is a survival trait. Survival of the individual means nothing. The species is everything, John. You might want to take a look at Robert Ardry's "Social Contract."

But I said 'the total species population', not 'the species'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
You've still not provided any evidence that this is more than the product of someone's fervid imagination--and it reeks of ID pseudo-science. As was the case with Jespah, i could not find anything about this through online searches.

Apart from demonstrating that you just don't get it about the selection mechanism, you've given us nothing here. A link to a reputable source would do wonders for your credibility.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
You've still not provided any evidence that this is more than the product of someone's fervid imagination--and it reeks of ID pseudo-science. As was the case with Jespah, i could not find anything about this through online searches.

Apart from demonstrating that you just don't get it about the selection mechanism, you've given us nothing here. A link to a reputable source would do wonders for your credibility.

Before I get hold of the source again, think this through: It is only by the arbitrary moral distinction typified by phrases like 'the selfish gene' and 'survival of the fittest' that we attribute 'survival' to a species. There is no reason why we should not interpret the data from evolutionary biology as promotion of the total species population - indeed there are good reasons why we should. In which case, 'survival of the species' goes out the window, and Dawkins gets dumped.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:45 pm
"Survival of the fittest" is a Spencerian construct--and it is a misconstruction of the natural selection mechanism--which is why i've said that you don't understand the selection mechanism. Any creature which survives is by definition fit--the crucial element is breeding opportunity. The ability to exploit one's environment for sustenance, and thereby enhance one's reproductive opportunity, and the viability of one's offspring is the determinant mechanism. I suspect more strongly than ever that this is just more ID pseudo-science.

I await your provision of a source with breath abated.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:50 pm
John Jones wrote:
roger wrote:

I'm not quite sure just what you did say, John. One of the features of a2k is the "edited" notation. Your original post has been edited three times in total at this time. The last edit was performed at 11:46.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
"Survival of the fittest" is a Spencerian construct--and it is a misconstruction of the natural selection mechanism--which is why i've said that you don't understand the selection mechanism. Any creature which survives is by definition fit--the crucial element is breeding opportunity. The ability to exploit one's environment for sustenance, and thereby enhance one's reproductive opportunity, and the viability of one's offspring is the determinant mechanism. I suspect more strongly than ever that this is just more ID pseudo-science.

I await your provision of a source with breath abated.

I already know that 'survival of the fittest' is a tautology, and that there is no mechanism there. I also know that 'mechanism' is created and dependent upon the objects we choose to function within it, and this choice is dependent on theory. The fundamental ground of evolutionary biology is found in the status of the object it chooses to populate its mechanisms, and this choice has, until now, remained unacknowledged. Suffice to say that the object of the evolutionist's concern is not what it should be. It should be of a materialist concern -the object as a chemical, that reproduces itself, drawing on raw materials around it. But no, there are flaws with that object, there are non-life objects that fulfill that definition. So Dawkins provided us with another definition of life when he tried to better define a life object as a selfish chemical. However, this definition is not materialist, but it does bring in the spiritual aspect of life, which he obviously believes is the distinguishing factor, or sufficient condition for a life object.

Until I get hold of my mate, you should, nevertheless, be able to see whether the Pandora gene fits available evidence. So you should make an effort to do that, and not just wait for sources.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:04 pm
You haven't provided an adequate description of this putative "pandora gene" with which to make a reasonable construct. So far, you've done nothing but make a vague contention about evolution, and provided insufficient evidence with which to judge your assertion. Furthermore, the use of the term "evolutionist" once again reeks of ID propaganda.

Again, i await your "mate's" information with breath abated. I'm getting blue in the face, here, Bubba . . .
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
John Jones, do you also write for the National Enquirer?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:08 pm
roger wrote:
John Jones wrote:
roger wrote:

I'm not quite sure just what you did say, John. One of the features of a2k is the "edited" notation. Your original post has been edited three times in total at this time. The last edit was performed at 11:46.

The edit I made was to supply a definition of total species population, which seems to have been necessary. The other edits, as is my habit, were minor changes to spelling and grammar.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:09 pm
stuh505 wrote:
John Jones, do you also write for the National Enquirer?

No, but send me a job description and salary.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
Setanta wrote:

Make no mistake, I can distinguish science from its pretenders, and I have a marked ability to reveal the foundations of a science with or without its technical details.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
Marked my whom, pray tell ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
Re: Breakthrough!- 'The 'Pandora Gene'
John Jones wrote:
Recent research in environmental biology threatens to overturn the whole survivalist basis upon which evolution theory is based.

What research?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
Yet another "breakthrough" that will disprove evolution. Did we ever get a citation for this?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:38 pm
Re: Breakthrough!- 'The 'Pandora Gene'
John Jones wrote:
Scientists have discovered a group of genes amongst animals in specific environmental populations that do not serve the individual animal, but serve the total species population * itself. They found that if one of these genes, called the Pandora Gene(s) is eliminated then certain physical characteristics of each creature may change for the better or worse, as it is judged by breeding success, but which inevitably leads to a collapse, partial or total, of the total species population in that specific environment.

Astonishingly, this leads us to consider the idea that a creature's identity is found scattered among the total species population, which leads us to conclude that 'survival of the fittest' is no longer tenable.

* (The 'total species population' refers to all creatures, plants and animals, found in a specific environment.)

That all sounds really cool, until you start to think about it, at which point it pretty much falls apart like a house of cards.

Either you've stated this idea very badly, or it's simply meaningless. Hmmm, which could it be?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:38 pm
Been askin' for one since the beginning . . . apparently, we have to wait for JJ's "mate" to arrive with the goods . . .
0 Replies