Image to PDF

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:14 am
Is there a good freeware program out there which I can use to turn multiple jpeg images into a PDF for easier printing?

You see, I've got a number of images that need to be printed out in order, utilising a printer that can do double-sided printing. If I can set al the images to one pdf file I can just print the whole lot out in one go.

It has to be freeware and easy to use.

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

P.S. I've already tried OCR convertor and it always creates a PDF file I can never open up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:10 am
PDF factory and PrimoPDF are both good. The free version of PDF factory does print out a tag line on the bottom of the page. PrimoPDF does not.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:45 am
Generally, I use Image Magick for converting the file format of images.

But if your only concern is printing them out in order, I don't see what's wrong with importing the images to Wordpad, and printing them out from there. Why go through PDF?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:15 am
Well, I've got so many that opening them up and putting them in Word becomes a hassle.

Wordpad, you say?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:44 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Well, I've got so many that opening them up and putting them in Word becomes a hassle.

Wordpad, you say?

On reflection, I don't say that anymore, because Wordpad has the same hazzle problem as Word does. One way you might try is to mark all the files in Explorer, then drag and drop them all into Word at once. If you can sort them into correct order in Explorer , Word preserves that order. (To mark several files in Explorer, press the "Control" key, and keep it pressed while you click on the files you want to print.)

Alternatively, I would use Image Magick's montage tool to produce a combined image. It's a command line tool, and you'll have to play around with wildcards ('*') before you get the desired result. I hope that does not fail your "easy to use" requirement.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:04 am
Thomas wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Wordpad, you say?

On reflection, I don't say that anymore, because Wordpad has the same hazzle problem as Word does. One way you might try is to mark all the files in Explorer, then drag and drop them all into Word at once. If you can sort them into correct order in Explorer , Word preserves that order. (To mark several files in Explorer, press the "Control" key, and keep it pressed while you click on the files you want to print.)

Alternatively, I would use Image Magick's montage tool to produce a combined image. It's a command line tool, and you'll have to play around with wildcards ('*') before you get the desired result. I hope that does not fail your "easy to use" requirement.

I've had a look at it and I'm confused as to how to install it (Image Magick). I might just try this drag and drop method you suggested. I never thought that was even possible, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Thank you for your help and I'll post again if I need to ask any questions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:11 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I might just try this drag and drop method you suggested. I never thought that was even possible, but I guess I'll give it a try.

In that case, maybe I ought to point out that you can also mark a whole range of files in Explorer. You press the shift key, then click on the first file in the range that you want to copy, then click on the last file of the range, then release the shift key. You can now drag and drop the files into Word.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:26 am
Thomas wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I might just try this drag and drop method you suggested. I never thought that was even possible, but I guess I'll give it a try.

In that case, maybe I ought to point out that you can also mark a whole range of files in Explorer. You press the shift key, then click on the first file in the range that you want to copy, then click on the last file of the range, then release the shift key. You can now drag and drop the files into Word.

I've just tried it and I've only ended up with the icons of the pictures in the Word file. The actual pictures themselves haven't appeared in the Word file at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Strange. It worked that way for me. Are the files somewhere on the web, or are they stored on your local hard disk? The behavior you observe looks as if they may have been on the web.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
Nope. Stored on my local harddisk. I tried it with tiffs, psd (those were way too big to fit on the file), jpegs and bitmaps.

Everytime I drag and drop, I end up with the icon and the file name underneath it. Though, the bitmap icon looked similar to the actual picture, but was too small.

The Word document keeps thinking I'm putting objects in the file, instead of actual pictures.

Microsoft Word 2000
Windows NT

However, on my laptop, it's Word 2000 and the OS is Windows ME.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
Word 2003/Windows XP here. One last variant you might try is to copy them all from Explorer (with Control-C), then paste them into Word with (Control-V). If that doesn't work either, I have reached the end of my wisdom.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:53 am
I too would be interested in this as the only way that I know to insert pictures in word is through the insert function. Otherwise they are just objects.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:55 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
The Word document keeps thinking I'm putting objects in the file, instead of actual pictures.

Does that mean that when you click on the icons in Word, the images open?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:55 am
Thomas wrote:
Word 2003/Windows XP here. One last variant you might try is to copy them all from Explorer (with Control-C), then paste them into Word with (Control-V). If that doesn't work either, I have reached the end of my wisdom.

Ah, that might be the problem then.

As for copying them from Explorer with control c and then pasting them, surely that's the same as dragging and dropping. Well, I'll try it anyway...

I've just tried it. It doesn't work.

Luckily, I found out that Open Office enables you to make PDFs, as well as spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoint presentations (which is good because I don't have powerpoint either and it would be nice to work on powerpoints outside of the lab's office area).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
I am very surprised that Thomas can actually do this. Word does not have a provisiion for making this work
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:07 am
Thomas wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Does that mean that when you click on the icons in Word, the images open?

I'm afraid not.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:08 am
The object should open in it's default program from the word document
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
Here's another wild guess: what happens when you do the same drag&drop job, but drop into Ms Paint, Photo-Editor, or some other utility that handles images natively? (Open Office also has a tool for image manipulation called Draw -- it may well work)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:22 am
Thomas wrote:
Here's another wild guess: what happens when you do the same drag&drop job, but drop into Ms Paint, Photo-Editor, or some other utility that handles images natively? (Open Office also has a tool for image manipulation called Draw -- it may well work)

Thomas,
It seems, from this post, that you are indicating that these are just guesses. So, you were not able to actually drag and drop pictures into Word?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
Intrepid wrote:
It seems, from this post, that you are indicating that these are just guesses. So, you were not able to actually drag and drop pictures into Word?

I was. But this is about Wolf's computer, which obviously works differently than mine. Hence, I can only guess what might work for him.
0 Replies