Dirty language????

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:16 pm
This is an essay I wrote a few years back while I was writing an op ed column for a local newspaper.

There are some points I want to make about its thesis....but first...

...the essay:

Jack Garner, film critic for Gannett News Service, recently wrote an article discussing the abundant use of "dirty language" in today's movies.

As usual in articles of this sort, he honed in on one particular word to illustrate his point...mentioning that the word had been used 85 times in the movie "Good Will Hunting" and even more frequently in "The Big Lebowski."

Garner began his essay with, "This is a story about a word I can't write in this newspaper. It starts with 'f' and ends with 'k'..."

Well, when your name begins with '"f" and ends with "k" you tend to sit up and take notice of a sentence like that.

But, of course, it was not the name "Frank" he had in mind.

I also eliminated "fork" because I had seen that word in print just seconds earlier--in a Miss Manners' piece chiding people who use fingers when eating chicken in settings where "...a cultured person would use a fork."

And surely it couldn't be fink, flak, flank, funk, flunk, flask, fleck, flick, flock, folk, frisk, forelock, fetlock, flintlock, or fiddlestick--because those words are found in newspapers all the time.

Nope. I knew it had to be the word Phil Rizzuto used to call "the magic word" when explaining why a player or manager had gotten tossed from a ballgame after an argument with an umpire.

"Oops," the Scooter would say, "he musta used the magic word."

In any case, by the end of his article, Garner allowed that he and most of his fellow film critics are not especially offended by that kind of language anymore--nor does he think the viewing public is all that put off by it either.

"It's part of contemporary life," was his resigned observation.

I'd like to go him one better.

To me, someone using "offensive language" is often less offensive than someone over-reacting to it.

Language is language; words are words--getting into too big a snit over them is idiotic. They're essentially just sounds, for heaven sakes.

Certainly no one would get in an uproar over the use of the word "cuff." Right?

But pronounce it backwards and you'll see some people go ballistic. Why?

Wanna know how we can end this problem of people using "dirty language" completely and forever?

It's a piece of cake.

Let's all just agree that every word and phrase is perfectly acceptable in any context. Let's agree that no word used to describe body parts or physical activities will ever be deemed in any way to be offensive.

Let's all just agree that any word of that sort can be used interchangeably with any other words for those parts or activities.

And let's agree that words like "drat" and "darn" or any of those other slightly more forceful societal expletives--can be used anywhere and everywhere without offense being given or taken.

Poof! That'd be it.

The problem would disappear completely.

If we don't conspire to designate words as "dirty" or "offensive"--nobody would be able to use dirty or offensive language.

And make no mistake about it--that's all were doing. We are arbitrarily defining certain words or sounds as dirty or offensive.

As you might guess, folks, I don't really expect to get anywhere with this argument, but this essay is more than just an exercise in writing.

If there's ever been a good example of a problem that is a non-problem, dirty language is it.

Dirty language doesn't even exist, except that some go out of their way to cause it to be.

It is like insisting that eating chicken with one's fingers is impolite or offensive.

Let's just change that rule (who makes these rules anyway???) and the problem disappears.

Oh, yeah. One last thing.

My favorite part of a chicken or turkey dinner is a wing.

I'd love to see Miss Manners tackle a crispy, roasted chicken wing with a fork.

Now that would be offensive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,929 • Replies: 60
No top replies

Borealis

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:15 pm
Great essay, Frank.

Even with that, I myself still continue to choose to not use "dirty language". Why? I just believe there are more elegant ways to express your feelings and ideas without those words.

Simple as that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:42 pm
Fuuuuudgge.-
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
frank : great stuff - made me smile . we had a similar editorial in our local paper recently. we seem to get upset about words and find rather brutal acts more acceptable than certain words - we are living in a funny (?) world.
i wonder how borealis will express the word in an "elegant way" - can't wait. still smiling ! hbg
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
Frank,
wonderful bit of writing there, and if people disagree, I say "intercourse them."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:04 pm
this is getting better all the time . hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:09 pm
Good writing, Frank, er, Flick, er, Fetlock...

I couldn't agree more.

I do understand choosing elegant words, even a whole string of those. I understand deciding not to use inelegant words. I have many friends that don't use 'dirty language' for that reason.

But words do have some power in a cultural setting, and - while the power isn't from the combination of letters by themselves, a word's power is given in a usage grant by the society - as you've said. I personally think not using words deemed inelegant takes away part of my possible battery of choices. I like having all kinds of word power tools at hand, elegant, down and dirty, or mere simple words.

I am less interested in the matter of offense than I am in word play and communication.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Lenny Bruce said of one objectionable word (paraphrasing): "President Kennedy ought to go on television and repeat the word over and over for hours, until the word loses all meaning."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:03 pm
Rabshakah's taunt of Jeremiah makes interesting reading in the King James version. But what point is there in using words for shock value when their meaning is not otherwise appropriate to the proposition?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Plenty of point, re unsettling all encompassing smugness.

I'll have to add here the my ex just recently had a showing of his play that involved the trial of Lenny Bruce. He's done a series that make me proud in retrospect.

Naturally I won't promote the plays on a2k, as it is a personal association, but I am really happy for the direction he is moving in (as opposed some stuff that made me despair).
0 Replies

Borealis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:26 am
neologist wrote:
Rabshakah's taunt of Jeremiah makes interesting reading in the King James version. But what point is there in using words for shock value when their meaning is not otherwise appropriate to the proposition?

So agreed.

I don't mind "dirty language" so much as to how effectively does it enhance the proposition. Notice said I don't mind, but if it were my place to say this is exactly how the world should be runned, I would leave the "dirty language" out.

Nevertheless, to his/her their own.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:37 am
Thank you everyone so far.

One of the points I was trying to make (besides filling my commitment for a column) was: Society is arbitrarily deciding what is "dirty language." Society can just as easily "decide" no language is "dirty."

My question would be: Why not do so?

Alternately...those of you strongly opposed to "dirty" language" might want to expand it to include "darn" "drat" "heck" "sporkeln" or any other sounds you arbitrarily want to designate as "dirty!"
0 Replies

Borealis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:47 am
Frank, I love ya.

Just for being trivial. Yeah, I say expand it to all encompass "darn" "dart" "heck" and "sporkeln"!

No mercy and leave no prisoners!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:50 am
F***k - you couldn't have picked a better moment for this discussion.

I was reading my Saturday paper and f***kly they included the 'magic' word routinely. No attempt to **** it out and no coy [expletive] bits - I can't imagine that the editor thinks that anyone over the age of 11 won't be reading those bits. Can't be half as bad as "God has punished the sinners"..... No?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:15 am
In the dialects of my family language, an expletive can be simply the term
"dogs blood"

Say that to my grandmom and shed chase me with soap with which to wash out my mouth.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:30 am
Good editorial Frank. But I just can't let it slide when the 12 year old uses profanity. And he's using it more and more courtesy of his 18 year old brother.

When he was suspended from school for calling the sub. teacher a f***ing bitch we knew we had a problem.

Any ideas on curbing the torrent? Or should we just ignore it...as a sign of the times?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:46 am
money !! When my kids used profanity, they got fined . When they noted that me and mom didnt budge. They tried to curtail its use. Unfortunately, I have to admit that they didnt just get it from reading. Whenever my old biker buds would come over and spend a day or more, the kids would pick up a whole new layer of vocabulary.Such layers required immediate attention before relatives got wind.

Ya know"f**k is easier to handle than
Hey, suck on this" or
"Do me"
etc etc.
The complex layers of linguistic meaning require constant vigilance or our children can embarrass us quite easily.

My son, who will graduate HS next June,has lately taken up the phrase "fudge packer" from a thread thatdescribed kicky, gus, and that emu engaged in an unnatural act
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:55 am
Who'd a thunk. A2K disseminating profanity.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:57 am
Isnt that what this whole place is all about?

I mean, for ****'s sake
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:58 am
One of my threads with a high page view count is this one: Florid + typical swear words / expressions, around the world
0 Replies