RENDER UNTO CAESAR

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:12 pm
Yeah!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:13 pm
Lash,

Whew! So glad! Just have a few residual nerves sticking out there due to the RKK Syndrome (Resident King Kong).

And Setanta, if it was me you were referring to as being upset, I'm not. I just like to address immediately a perceived behavior on my part. That's how I learn to do things better! And, if it wasn't me, then I am sorry I assumed it was.

Momma Angel

P.S. And Lash, thank you. That was a very thoughtful thing for you to do and it is very much appreciated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
Lash wrote:
Setanta--

You have already used invidious too many times this week.

No snide comments of this character have appeared in this thread until you showed up.

Quote:
If you are concerned about Momma Angel's feelings, you may want to survey the extreme inhospitable manner in which Frank is attacking her due to her religious beliefs on another thread.

Note the crucial term "another thread." Momma Angel has responded more than once in this thread, and commented that she liked the thread. I have not directed a single remark to her, but had i done so, it would only have been to thank her for her participation.

Quote:
In the likely event you are not concerned, I will kindly and distinctly uninvidiously ask--

No comment, Miss Lettybettyhettygetty, i promised i wasn't here to ambush people, and i'm not. I will not comment with my thoughts on such issues.

Did that have meaning in reference to my post:

I copied this for reference:

Pay taxes.
Obey the law.
Where the government's laws conflict with God's laws, obey God's laws.

Sort of rules out civil disobedience (or worse) as a Christian option.
---------
Yes on pay taxes honestly--yes on obeying the law (although I have broken it on occasion--I paid my penance [speeding]).

However, I disagree strongly on the 'no Civil Disobedience'. Christians throughout history have been pretty high on the Civil Disobedience rolls.

If I feel something is wrong, and in conflict with what I believe to be a higher law than man's law, I would protest to the point of being arrested.
---------------
If not, I am curious as to what it DID reference, as an interested participant.

It had absolutely no reference to anything you posted. Had you been paying attention, you might have discerned that without injecting nastiness into a thread in which that had previously not appeared. I can only hope you haven't killed the thread altogether, because it was going well until you showed up.

Letty wrote:
Don't you find it interesting, Setanta, that Jesus had to borrow a coin to present a parable?

To which in immediate response, i wrote:
No comment, Miss Lettybettyhettygetty, i promised i wasn't here to ambush people, and i'm not. I will not comment with my thoughts on such issues.

Miss Letty's comment is an obvious reference to the biblical passage from which the title is taken, and i simply observed to her that i would not make comments on religious matters because that is not the purpose of this thread. Not everything is about you, Lash, you seriously need to get over yourself.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:04 pm
Yo, Momma!!

Smile

Setanta--

I will give you the benefit of the doubt--assume I was incorrect in my assumption and wait for the thread to perk up.

I will also for added astonishment forego the quips I keep deleting.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:19 pm
Look folks, I was raised in the Baptist church and schooled, and I mean schooled in the art of fear.(had nothing to do with my parents, either) There are still things that I must think through in order to set( if you'll pardon the pun) things right in my thinking, but there is still room for exploration. We all search for something, my friends, let's not forget that Shakespeare and the Christian bible are still the most oft quoted books in the world.

Hey, I like music, and I trace everything back to my love of the choir and the singing of songs. I was a voice in the wilderness, because I questioned everything, but soon learned that was NOT popular. Ok, I'll stop now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:26 pm
Letty,

Baptists don't have a good reputation on the whole, do they? It seems what is always remembered is the fire and brimstone. Frightening people away from God is wrong in any instance. Christ himself taught that in the Bible.

If I had to clarify my denomination, I would say I am a Baptist. However, I am a Baptist that believes the gospel is what is to be preached in the churches. And, there is a whole lot more in the New Testament about love than there is about fire and brimstone. Scaring someone into heaven just does not cut it. It merely scares them into the opposite direction.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:38 pm
I realize that, Momma. When I was a wee thing, and was spending time with my uncle and aunt, I happened to step outside and saw a very strange cloud formation. It looked as though two people were climbing the steps to heaven. It scared the hell out of me because I thought is was the rapture. My Mom was going to heaven without me and here I was stuck with my dad, who I felt for certain, was an non believer. I literally became ill and my dad had to take me home the next day to prove that my mom was still alive and well.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:49 pm
Letty,

Wow, that is a pretty traumatic experience for an adult muchless a child! I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Do you mind if I ask you a question? (Well, another question because that was a question. Laughing )

Did that experience turn you totally away from Christianity or any religion at all?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:56 pm
No, Momma, not totally. I just don't belong in mainstream religion, as a matter of fact, I no longer belong anywhere.

Ah, but do I still love the music:

Once to every man and nation,
Comes the moment to decide,
In the strife of truth with falsehood,
For the good or evil side;
Some great cause, God's new messiah,
Offering each the bloom or blight,
And the choice goes by forever,
'Twixt that darkness and that light.

Then to side with truth is noble,
When we share her wretched crust,
Ere her cause bring fame and profit,
And 'tis prosperous to be just;
Then it is the brave man chooses,
While the coward stands aside,
Till the multitude make virtue
Of the faith they had denied.

By the light of burning martyrs,
Christ, Thy bleeding feet we track,
Toiling up new Calvaries ever
With the cross that turns not back;
New occasions teach new duties,
ancient values test our youth;
They must upward still and onward,
who would keep abreast of truth.

Though the cause of evil prosper,
Yet 'tis truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold,
And upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future,
And behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow,
Keeping watch above His own.

Incidentally, I like the alternate tune to that one.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
Letty,

It saddens me to think you no longer belong anywhere. You do belong somewhere. You belong right where you want to be. It's not that you don't belong, it's that others behaviors and words make you feel that way? You have just as much right on this earth as anyone else.

That all goes along with the theme of my Are You Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution Thread.

So, it's nice to meet you!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Thank you, Momma, I must leave now as I am very tired.

Goodnight to you all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:19 pm
The history of the Anabaptists, from whom the Baptists, the Mennonites, the Amish, and a host of other sects are descended is rather ironic. Many contemporary scholars see them as having several rather than one origin. Without going into that, or the various rebellions against authority in which they took part, the irony is their image in the 1500's as dangerous radicals. They were called "Anabaptists," it was not a name they gave to themselves. Because they held that infant baptism was a bankrupt sacrement--the infant having no capacity to consent to the rite--they were called Anabaptists, or "re-baptisers." They practiced adult baptism. Because they were involved in several uprising against Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist authority, they began to assemble in certain towns or neighborhoods of cities for self-defense. This lead the the wildest rumors of communalism (and by extension, communism) and wild orgies, as well as a dedication to the notion of "free love." It always cracks me up to consider the modern image of Baptists, and reconcile that to the charges 500 years ago that they were practitioners of communism and free love.

Ahem . . . excuse me, do carry on.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
I have been reading a bit on this thread about fear. I take it that this fear is the fear of God. I know that some religions use god fear in a somewhat negative way. In my religion, we take God fear to mean the fear of doing something displeasing to Him. NOT the fear of Him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
Interesting perspective, Boss.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:58 pm
Intrepid,

Can you tell me which religion you consider "my religion?" I consider mine to be Christianity with the denomination of Baptist.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:41 am
neologist wrote:
Therefore, I say read with discernment.

AMMMMMMEN, Neo! Very Happy "Rightly handling the WORD of truth."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
Intrepid wrote:
I have been reading a bit on this thread about fear. I take it that this fear is the fear of God. I know that some religions use god fear in a somewhat negative way. In my religion, we take God fear to mean the fear of doing something displeasing to Him. NOT the fear of Him.
Setanta wrote:
Interesting perspective, Boss.
Exclamation
0 Replies

JAMESDG

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:45 pm
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ON THE MATER OF THE SUPPORT THAT A TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL GIVE THE GOV. IS IN FACT THAT A TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL FOLLOW THE LAWS OF MEN UNTIL THEY COME INTO CONFLICT WITH GODS LAWS, THEN WE WILL OF CORSE FOLLOW GODS LAWS SO THE FIRST PERSON TO ANSWER YOU IS RIGHT. BUT ALSO THE BIBLE REMINDS US A TRUE CHRISTIANS WE MUST STAY POLITICALLY NEUTRAL, JESUS TOLD HIS APOSTILS THAT I HAVE CALL YOU OUT OF THE WORLD, AND BECAUSE OF THIS YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE WORLD, AND ON ACCOUNT OF JESUS THE WORLD WILL HATE ANY ONE TRULY FOLLOWING JESUS.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
UhOh!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:00 pm
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. YOU WOULDN'T BE HARD OF HEARING, WOULD YOU?
0 Replies