Quality of life in Mississippi compared to that of NYC

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:02 am
What is the quality of life in Mississippi campared to that of life in NYC? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 983 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:33 am
I have a feeling this would depend upon what you are looking for and who you ask.

New York City may indeed have more restaurants, museums and the such however it also has a crush and achieve mentality which permeates the air. In Mississippi there is in general and easier attitude, more of a take the day as it is and just hope the critters don't go on the attack.

Musically both places have quite a few options (work with me folks you can hear classical music in Natchez and bluegrass in New York). The whether of course has an effect on both places. In Mississippi of course there are long extremely hot summers and a fair amount of humidity. In New York there are briefer summers with a fair amount of humidity. Of course in New York there is also a ton of concrete which absorbs the heat and holds it like a precious commodity whereas in Mississippi the trees and other fauna release a cooling action at night. Mississippi coast-hurricanes, New York-occasional major snowstorm.

New York-people from all walks of life and cultures always around you.
Mississippi-people from all walks of life and cultures often around but at a much more leisurely pace and not near as often in most towns.

Mississippi is an entire state and New York City is precisely that-a city. Much smaller and compact.

New York City approximately 8 million persons in an area smaller than even the entire State of Rhode Island, in fact all 5 counties making up the City of New York are combined smaller than almost any other county within the United States.

Mississippi as of 2001 census had 2,858,000 persons living in 47,689 square miles.

New York City you can always hear your neighbors and often smell them, Mississippi, you may go weeks without seeing your neighbors.

Bottom line is it is all about what you are looking for and quality of life is a personal matter. Safety is an issue; however, it also becomes a matter of what type of safety? Crime safety or natural disaster safety?

Try them both and see which one suits you best.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:52 am
It does depend on what is important to you.

Parts of Mississippi are very beautiful with a rural quality that seemed to date to the 19th century. Parts around the larger cities or university towns have excellent restaurants and cultural events.

The only problem I had was the abundance of conservative christians. Everywhere we went people would ask "so what church do you go to?'' or little political digs were said when they heard I was from NYC. I didn't live in the state, but I had to travel there for business over a couple of years. I do know it seems like a very cheap place to live. Houses are a third of the price of anything in NY State. Depending where you are in the state, public schools are very inferior. I was in a few (my job was computer related) and I was shocked at how run down the buildings and equipment were.
0 Replies