Thomas Friedman, Discovery Channel, Wednesday night

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:18 am
For you Friedman readers and admirers, this sounds like a fascinating program. Friedman discussed it on Charlie Rose earlier tonight.

Searching for the Roots of 9/11
Discovery, Wednesday night at 10:00pm EST and 1:00am EST

NY Times review

How a Nightmare Began and Might Continue
By NANCY RAMSEY

"Their tones may differ, but in each of three documentaries about the roots of 9/11 and its aftermath in the Muslim world there is one truly terrifying moment.

In "Al Qaeda 2.0," which will be shown tonight with "Terror's Children" on the new Discovery Times Channel and includes dramatic scenes of suspected Al Qaeda terrorists being hunted down in the caves of Afghanistan and the slums of Karachi, Pakistan, Dr. Saad al-Fagih, a leading Saudi dissident, says, "There is an impending attack coming, and this attack is immense, huge and either as big or even bigger than Sept. 11, and this attack is full of surprise."

In "Terror's Children" a boy of 10 who has bright eyes and a curiosity that is being stifled in a religious school in Pakistan visits a swimming pool where men and women frolic together. He surveys the scene, turns to an interviewer and says, "Everyone here is going to hell."

In "Searching for the Roots of 9/11," which will be shown tomorrow night on the Discovery Channel and on April 1 on Discovery Times, Thomas L. Friedman, foreign affairs columnist for The New York Times, visits Al Azhar mosque in Cairo. Once the sermon ends, young men take over the mosque and "in an instant we went from prayer to politics," Mr. Friedman says. While most of the worshipers had left the mosque, he adds, "it struck me that in some sense they were letting Islam and its spiritual message of a God of mercy and compassion be hijacked."

Each program is straightforward, an individual search by a journalist trying to understand some aspect of 9/11. Mr. Friedman's quest is twofold: "First, what motivated those 19 young men, those hijackers, to board those planes and kill 3,000 of my brothers and sisters? And second, why did so many of their fellow Arabs and Muslims applaud what they did?" His approach is measured and thoughtful as he travels to Belgium, Egypt, Bahrain, Indonesia, even to the studio of Al Jazeera television in Qatar. ("I, little Tommy Friedman, Jewish boy from Minneapolis, have been interviewed" on Al Jazeera, he says. "They get in my face, and I get back in theirs.")

Dyab Abou Jahjah, a young Muslim leader in Belgium, offers one root of 9/11: he says the United States has been supporting bullies in the Middle East for 50 years. Mr. Friedman's friend Rami Khouri, a Jordanian writer, tells him he thinks the United States has a "hypocritical policy and applies one standard here," another there. In Cairo, walking in the old neighborhood of Mohamed Atta, a leader of the Sept. 11 attacks, Mr. Friedman and Ali Salem, a playwright, talk about Mr. Salem's idea that in Egypt art, education and the economy had been leveled, making the hijackers feel like dwarfs. Consequently, they searched for tall buildings to bring down.

Throughout the program, produced by New York Times Television, Mr. Friedman returns to a softly lighted room and a comfortable chair, which paces the hour effectively, making it easy to absorb the ideas and information being presented. . ."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,657 • Replies: 7
No top replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 01:40 am
Quote:
making it easy to absorb the ideas and information being presented

This would be a matter of opinion.http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/BANGHEAD2.JPG
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:23 am
Sounds great Larry thanks for the heads up but like maz it is hard for me to understand sometimes Embarrassed
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 07:05 pm
He (Friedman) tries to make it a bit easier to understand.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 10:12 pm
An interesting program - but a bit chilling given what is happening in Iraq right now. Here are some links to a couple of publications mentioned in the program.

Arab Human Development Report 2002 - available online in PDF format, in English, Arabic and French, or order online
http://www.undp.org/rbas/ahdr/

World Press Review - The Arab Press on Arab Human Development
http://www.worldpress.org/Mideast/663.cfm

Other U.N. Human Development Reports
http://hdr.undp.org/

An Apology From An Arab - Ali Salem (Time Magazine 9/11/2002)

Click Here

An Arab intellectual apologizes, and explains

By ALI SALEM

"As an Egyptian, I find myself compelled to apologize to the American people for what happened to them on Sept. 11. I apologize because one of those involved in that horrible disaster was Egyptian. As a man of letters, I declare myself innocent of having any part in the creation of the culture that spawned these individuals.

A long time before New York City's Twin Towers were destroyed, many towers in my country were brought down by this same brand of perpetrators. They killed President Anwar Sadat, who initiated peace with Israel and liberalism in Egypt; they killed the Egyptian writer Farag Fouda, a defender of freedom and secularism; they stabbed our Nobel laureate, Naguib Mahfouz, when he was 82 years old, after discovering that 30 years earlier he had written a novel they considered the work of an infidel. . ."

MORE - - ->>
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:06 am
Home page of Discovery Channel Spotlight, with extra features on the program above:

CLICK HERE
0 Replies

j12224

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 12:30 am
Thomas Friedman - Discovery
Thank You Mr. Friedman for an informative hour. Yes, as posted, chilling.
I don't think Al-Qaeda understand the average american does not have control of political ties. Any more than the average arab could control their powerful regimes. We vote. And we pray for a better life for all; as all religions should SEEK PEACE.

Most americans struggling to keep a roof over their family, education costs, and feeding the kids. Maybe guilty of tunnel vision, but not looking down at the world.
0 Replies

Ralph45

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 07:53 am
Thomas L. Friedman - Spotlight
Thomas Friedman's article was very enlightening.

I've been told by many foreign people that we in the US are arrogant and this helped to propagated 9/11.

A great number of Americans distrust not only Middle Easterners and especially Muslims based on the reality of their warring cultures. We of the non-intellectual class have seen you blow each other up for years and cheapen your own self worth. Yet we are considered the great Satan. If we are the great Satan then you are as children, with no responsibility for yourselves; not men.

We've had a history of Middle Easterners coming to the US for their education and returning to their country to hate us and our culture; perhaps as a means of gaining political power. Well the welcome mat is now removed. Keep your intellectuals and stay home to cleanup your own problems. We are more than happy not to be involved with you or your culture. Those of you that are moderate or liberal Muslims and you let the youthful anger of your own treachery hijack your faith and soul. Think of this from the second commandment "visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children". You have generation of pain coming.

We do not understand you and you do not understand us.

If Muslims want a controlling interest in the US political arena they should bring something of value to the table as the Jews, Hispanic and Far Easterners have. The Jewish people have come to the US and prospered while assimilating into our culture. They vote their conscience and support candidates that support those views politically and fiscally. That is part of why we are strong supporters of the Jewish State of Israel.

Muslim in the US, have the same opportunity to have a political voice in this country. However nothing will happen over night. Muslim who live here have often spoke freely of their distain for this country; while here. As long as they're not sure they want what we have to offer; we will not accept them as productive members of our country. We welcome them to leave and find another host country, since they ran from the responsibilities of their mother land. They should be ashamed, as they are.
0 Replies