I wish I could sing and you wish...?

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:03 pm
@glitterbag,
We could probably do that as a trio! I mean sing at a nursing home - no disrespect but their hearing is likely at a loss. I might actually have someone else enjoy my singing again since my children were infants!
glitterbag

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 06:17 pm
@Linkat,
ahhhhh link, we don't sing, but we can do a mean version of the Anvil Chorus with our oiled up armpits.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 10:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Would you prefer your fart to sound more like a tuba, a flute, or another instrument?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 10:26 pm
@Real Music,
Wouldn't that depend on the tune you were trying to play?
Real Music

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 10:43 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't think it matters as much, just as long as you don't fart out of key.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 03:28 am
@Real Music,
None of that matters, it sounds like a trumpet, it is what it is.

Although I have hit the odd high note. When I was little I did one that sounded like a high pitched whistle.

My father immediately rushed in the room demanding how I made that noise.

I can’t remember how it ended but I couldn’t have told him the truth, he had no sense of humour, wouldn’t believe me and would have hit me for lying.

I think I blamed it on the telly.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 09:05 am
@Mame,
For some reason I found your post very touching. I guess I would wish that you could sing as well.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 10:42 am
@engineer,
Aw, thank you, engineer.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 11:00 am
@engineer,
I found it touching as well, and it made me sad. How miserable and clueless could a person be to tell a nine-year old she should pretend to sing so she could stay in the choir. I know that most of us have been treating it as if it was a joke, but it's that type of casual cruelty that stays with us all our lives. We can lighten it up as we get older, but I know we all remember the embarrassment we initially felt when an adult dismissed us as unworthy.

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 11:51 am
@glitterbag,
If we put a bandage somewhere on our bodies every time we were hurt by words or actions, we'd all be swaddled like mummies. I think we are all the "walking wounded" to one degree or another. It's how we deal with it that matters.

On a lighter note:

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other. Jack Handy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 12:25 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I found it touching as well, and it made me sad. How miserable and clueless could a person be to tell a nine-year old she should pretend to sing so she could stay in the choir. I know that most of us have been treating it as if it was a joke, but it's that type of casual cruelty that stays with us all our lives. We can lighten it up as we get older, but I know we all remember the embarrassment we initially felt when an adult dismissed us as unworthy.

Ha ha - when I was in grade school I got a C in music - I had all As but this one damn C. My mom said try to sing louder. When I did my music teacher told me to just mouth the words -- but after that I got an A. I may have been a bit embarrassed at first but it was forgotten by the time recess had come by.

To be honest it did stay with me my whole life - but it was more the knowledge that I did not have that particular talent. No worries - I had others. I did not get scarred for life, I simply learned early that being a singer was not in the cards for me. Kids are a bit more resilient than you give them credit.

I did not think what they said in choir was bad - I think my mom would have said the same thing if I really wanted to be part of a choir.

A whole lot better than these young people that think they can sing only to be embarrassed as that horrible singer trying out on national television for American idol or something like that because the kids parents said they were good and no one told them otherwise.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 12:48 pm
I just remembered an incident in the early 60s in which the music was the topic and I did a few lines of the song. The several guys with me all laughed. "He probably thought he was singing," said one. All you can do is look at them and shrug.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2021 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Ha ha - when I was in grade school I got a C in music - I had all As but this one damn C. My mom said try to sing louder. When I did my music teacher told me to just mouth the words -- but after that I got an A. I may have been a bit embarrassed at first but it was forgotten by the time recess had come by.

To be honest it did stay with me my whole life - but it was more the knowledge that I did not have that particular talent. No worries - I had others. I did not get scarred for life, I simply learned early that being a singer was not in the cards for me. Kids are a bit more resilient than you give them credit.

I did not think what they said in choir was bad - I think my mom would have said the same thing if I really wanted to be part of a choir.

A whole lot better than these young people that think they can sing only to be embarrassed as that horrible singer trying out on national television for American idol or something like that because the kids parents said they were good and no one told them otherwise.

You're absolutely right - it didn't demoralize me; however, the next year I had to take music with Mrs. Parker who was a tartar. The first day of class we all had to stand up individually and sing so she knew where we were. Because of what the choir master had said, I adamantly refused to do it. After much argument, she took me into the hallway and asked me why. When I told her, she told me I could play the recorder. So, she wasn't such a tartar after all. And he probably saved me from considerable embarrassment.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2021 11:47 pm
I wish I could have been at the "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour............next
0 Replies