What is the best, most concise way to make a wish from a genie?

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2022 10:19 am
What is the best, most concise way to make a wish from a genie but in a way to avoid catastrophic loopholes or Monkey Paw situations?

What would you wish for? Keeping in mind, you cannot directly wish for more wishes.

If I were presented with an all-powerful wish, I'd wish for all the tech from the wormhole, cyber tech, and medical tech from the Commonwealth Books series by Peter F. Hamilton.

If worded correctly, that wish would effectively make me immortal and grant the human race access to the entire Milky Way. Would there be any loopholes I missed or could have avoided in that wish request?

Keeping in mind, the wordier a wish becomes... the greater the chance you'll open yourself up to some dangerous Monkey Paw situations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 500 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2022 02:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I guess is depends on how obnoxious the genie is. I recall the wormhole tech from the Commonwealth allowed a ravenous hoard of aliens to descend on the Commonwealth and that there was a fair amount of disparity and suffering in the Commonwealth for those who did not own their own hollowed out asteroid.

I suppose I would wish for good health. That seems simple enough not to backfire.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2022 09:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Are we talking one single wish?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 06:37 am
@glitterbag,
Yes. Most wish fulfillment stories revolve around 1 to 3 independent wishes. They're not structured like legal contracts as they're one sentence long and the initial wording is key.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 07:39 am
A Sufi parable has the recipient wishing for the wisdom to understand what he has in his hands.

He then goes on the lecture circuit preaching about how important it was to understand things.

He is challenged by other Sufis, and to be honest, it doesn't get a lot clearer.

I don't know if he'd been better off wishing for a hovercraft.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 05:48 am
In a Freak Brothers comic strip Fat Freddy's cat helps a group of aliens and is rewarded with a magic amulet that has three wishes.

He usex the first two wishes but decides to keep the third just in case.

When he gets home the Freak Brothers are surprised at his appearance, Fat Freddy picks up the amulet and inadvertantly makes the following wish,

"Well I'll be dipped in dog ****."
0 Replies