Ethnic (or not) Recipes, including GF

Mame

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 03:35 pm
I have several friends who are GF so for the last 4 years, I've been making several things for them, like biscotti, tempura batter and the like. These are not all GF recipes, btw.

I found the tempura batter to be the best because it's much lighter than a regular batter.

1/2 c. rice flour
1/3 c. potato starch
1/4 c. tapioca flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c. ice water

I had this in a restaurant, changed the batter to the one above, and delicious!!

24 prawns, battered and fried

drizzle with Sriracha aioli
dribble with a touch of unary

Sriracha aioli:

1/2 c. japanese mayo or Miracle Whip (they taste almost the same and the miracle whip is cheaper
1/4 c. sriracha chili sauce
1/8 c. soy (optional - I don't use)
1/8 c. sesame oil (optional - I don't use)

Unagi Sauce:

1/4 c. mirin
1/4 c. soy
1.5 T sake
2/5 T. sugar

Bring to a boil, simmer 20 min. Or just buy it, lol.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 756 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 09:22 am
@Mame,
This is another favourite of mine - Gordon Ramsay's Slow-Cooked Fiery Lamb Shanks, although you can use any part of the lamb

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/slow-cooked-fiery-lamb/

INGREDIENTS

4 lamb shanks
Olive oil, for frying
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, peeled and thickly sliced
2 bay leaves
1 x 750ml bottle red wine
500ml chicken stock
Small handful of mint leaves, to garnish

FOR THE MARINADE

1–2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced, to taste
1–2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced, to taste
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
3 garlic cloves, peeled, roughly chopped and crushed
Olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

SERVES 4 Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas 3.

First prepare the marinade. Mix the chillies (use only one of each if you don’t like hot dishes), smoked paprika, oregano, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and seasoning together. Rub the mixture into the lamb so that it is well flavoured. You can cook the lamb straight away, but if you have time, cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, or even overnight.

Heat a large casserole dish on the hob and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the lamb in it for about 6 minutes until coloured on all sides, then add the chillies and cinnamon from the marinade.

Add the carrots, onion and bay leaves to the casserole and brown for a minute or two. Lift the lamb so that it is resting on top of the onions and carrots. Add the red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up the bits from the bottom, then bring to the boil and cook for 7–8 minutes to reduce the liquid by half. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, then transfer, uncovered, to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours until the meat is really tender and the sauce reduced. (If the tops of the shanks look like they might be drying out, just baste and occasionally turn them.)

Remove the cooked meat from the oven and serve garnished with torn mint leaves and the cooking juices spooned on top.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 09:24 am
Kahlua or Tia Maria

1.5 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. instant coffee powder (I use shots of espresso)
3 c. vodka (for Kahlua) or rum (for Tia)
1/2 vanilla bean, split or 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Combine sugars with 2 c. water. Boil 5 minutes. Gradually add coffee, using a wire wisk until blended, cool. Pour into tall bottle, add vodka and vanilla. Cover and let stand for at least two weeks. Shake once a day and store in a dark place. Remove vanilla bean if used. Makes about 40 oz.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 09:29 am
I had these several years ago at Vij's renowned Indian restaurant in Vancouver and had to find the recipe. The cream curry sauce makes this dish.

VIJ's MARINATED LAMB POPSICLES WITH FENUGREEK CREAM CURRY

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup sweet white wine
¾ cup grainy yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 lb(s) French-cut racks of lamb, in chops

Curry Sauce
4 cup whipping cream (I use half-and-half)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp dried green fenugreek leaves
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup canola oil
3 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric

DIRECTIONS
Lamb
1. Combine wine, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lamb and coat well with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

2. Finish lamb: Preheat a stove-top cast iron grill or barbeque to high heat. Place lamb on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Curry Sauce
1. In a large bowl, combine cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice. Heat 3 to 4 Tbsp of the oil in a medium pot on medium heat and sauté garlic until golden. Stir in turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream mixture and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it is gently boiling.

2. To serve: Serve popsicles piping hot off the grill. Place four to five lamb chops on each plate. Pour the cream curry over the meat or ladle it into a small bowl and use it as a dipping sauce for the popsicles.
0 Replies