Movie Ideas

Seizan

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 03:37 pm
How would someone present a basic idea or synopsis for a movie to a famous director or such? I mean, if you had what you felt was a great idea for a movie, how would you get it to someone who would take it, flesh it out as a screenplay, and undertake the project to film it? If I had such an idea that would take the skill and know-how of, say, Peter Jackson, how would I get the idea to him?

I think most of these people can't be reached easily, unless you already have a big name in the movies.

Same with books. If there were great ideas for a series of Harry Potter-related books, how would one let JK Rowling know? It's not as if she needs to write more and earn more money, but she's be the only one with the required style and expertise to write them...

All this without getting ripped-off, of course.

Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 03:47 pm
@Seizan,
A lot of authors have websites with their emails on them. I've contacted a few authors to comment on their books and they're always responded, so maybe check her website out.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:07 am
@Seizan,
As I understand it, most producers (or directors) will not even finish a letter that suggest it contains an idea for a movie.

You are looking for bucks. If you come up with something that already is in the works...or is not that original...it could become a legal contest. No producer wants to get into a legal fight with someone saying, "That film was my idea."

If you have an idea and can amass the money to produce something...do it. Don't try to peddle your idea to someone else.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:11 am
This reminds me of something Janis Ian puts out. She says don't send me song lyrics. They will be discarded unread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:25 am
On the other hand, you will only know for certain by giving it a try.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 10:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
This. It's also why IP holders don't want to see fan fiction.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank,

I agree that most directors, producers, singers, or actors will not read a message or letter than contains any hint of suggestion regarding their works. I wonder how many really great ideas just died in the dust because the right people just didn't care to read even a few lines of introduction.

However, please don't assume I am "looking for bucks". Money is not as motive here. Of course it would be nice if something came from it, but it's not my goal. Your assumption is understandable, but most folks who don't know me have no clue what I'm about.

I guess "peddling my idea" or "seeking knowledgeable help to present a potential story idea" depends on one's outlook. Sadly, cynics are too easy to find.

For sure, there is no way anyone can know what's inside another person's head, that they might make a statement like "Hey, that was MY idea!" I would think they'd have to prove it, but there are so many ways to pre-date and fake "proof" today.

However, I have never heard of this particular idea before, and I believe it to be original. It's a sequel to a movie I saw when I was a child (and many times since), and the idea formed years ago that this should have continued in this manner... Though the movie was in fact followed up by an increasingly dismal set of "sequels" over several decades, none even touched on the one I "imagineered".

I have some skill as an author, but this required style writing is beyond my skill. Fleshing out believable characters and their backstories is beyond me; I just don't have that kind of creativity for it. Otherwise, I would write it out as a novel.

Nor do I (or anyone I know) have money to independently produce the work as a film.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 01:21 am
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:
I have some skill as an author, but this required style writing is beyond my skill. Fleshing out believable characters and their backstories is beyond me; I just don't have that kind of creativity for it. Otherwise, I would write it out as a novel.

So become the next Philip K Dick.

He was an author who wrote short stories that did not flesh out a lot of characters, but many of his short stories did have great ideas for science fiction universes. And since his short stories were published, people saw them and made movies out of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Philip_K._Dick
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 02:45 pm
@Seizan,
Have you considered joining a writer's group? A screenplay group? There are meetups in person and online where you can join and get constructive feedback.

My mother recently started one in her assisted living place. There are four others in the group. She's a great one for organizing things like that. She has written a couple of books herself and is looking for common ground amongst the residents. There's no criticism of the writing - it's more of a new hobby and creative outlet. But the ones I mentioned above will often provide assistance.
0 Replies