Reese's Cup Conundrum

Shazzer

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
Hello Food Lovers,

I have a dear friend in London that I would like to surprise with a care package. She loves Reese's cups, so I was thinking of including them. My question is: are Reese's cups sold in the UK? I don't want to send her something she can get for herself, but I also don't want to ask her for fear of tipping her off. I tried googling, but I got some confusing responses. So, I figured I'd ask you lovely people.

Thanks for your help. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,913 • Replies: 15
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
Bumping this up for you, Shazzer. Hopefully one of our UK members will spot it.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
hmmm, that's a good question...I don't think they are, but I wouldn't know for sure...one other idea is to send her the newer white chocolate version...they might not have those there yet. But I want to say that they don't sell them there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:45 pm
Hmmm, did you ask this before? I could swear I saw it before and that Aidan said she hadn't seen Reese's Cups there in England and that it was a good idea....
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
Yep. I waited a couple of days then posted the same question in the trivia section. I was feeling a bit impatient. Thanks for bumping me, Mac. I appreciate it. I think I will send over some of the white choco ones. That's a good idea. Thanks everyone. My mate will be very happy.

Oh, and Osso, aidan outed himself as a guy a few days ago. Is aidan a popular girl's name in the UK or something cause I always though he was a guy. . .anyhoo, here's his post if you're interested:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fullcirc.com/weblog/2005/03/jb-walther-some-interesting.htm

Some interesting reading I thought you might appreciate here.
As an endnote - Spendius - when you set out to create a character (in attempts to help you with your writing) always remember that old saying, "God is in the details" (Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe). Bom-bom, Shazzer, NoNe, Lubna, and now Allthisbeauty - no details - no substance - no credence.
Aidan is a character. My name is Andy - get it yet - Aidan - Andy? I'm a doctoral student in psychology doing my thesis on the effect of the internet on human communication and interaction. After reading the data and information on the blog I linked at the top of the page, I decided to create a composite character to gather anecdotal evidence about such said internet communication between men and women to help support my thesis. I used Aidan because it is a fairly androgynous name - and I began with a gender-neutral avatar. In the beginning, I stayed on the issue and relationship based threads, and was getting little to no response. Not what I needed to aid my research.
One afternoon, about six or seven weeks into my project, I was at my sister-in-law's telling her about my disappointing results and she asked me to show her the forum. "Ooh, Haiku, she said, "I want to play." She went on and proceeded to trade haikus with a young man named Spendius. You know the rest.
It was then I realized, I would garner more attention as a woman than a man, so I simply recreated my sister-in -law in internet form. I described her as she looks, I said the things I've heard her say- I used pictures of my niece and nephew and even of her dog. I gave "Aidan" my sister-in-law's life in effect (except that the real Aidan is happily married to my brother and doesn't live in England- I spent my junior year of college abroad at University in Bristol- I filled in those details). I gave her a separation and a living situation in a country far from friends and family to engender a sense of vulnerability- hoping this would bring about more male attention and oh boy, did it ever. Interestingly enough, it also brought about a lot of very strongly negative female reaction. This had not been part of my original thesis, but will add interest to the finished dissertation. The real "Aidan" provided the creative writing pieces, told me which songs to place where and when, and on occasion came on and traded haiku and acronyms with players (she really is a whiz with words). She provided me details about teaching, she talked with Ollady about cooking - the insults and cat-fight with Devvie were all me.
I realized that people were catching on to the time difference issue -- why was Aidan so often on the internet in what was supposed to be the middle of the night for her - and knew the gig was about to be up. Besides, by this time, I had been able to gather more than enough extremely interesting anecdotal evidence to support my thesis on gender-based differences in modes of electronic communication via the internet.
(When I get it written up - maybe I'll post it on the forum - keep an eye out).
Anyway, Spendius, guy - you've been talking to a guy. Just thought I'd let you know. Wanted to reassure you all that I'll change the screen-names in my thesis and will not mention the name of the specific forum.
Thanks for your participation and input. Yitwail, my brother, hold the fort. You're one of the few sane ones on here (in trivia and games that is - loads of good people on the rest of the forum-some of whom I'll actually miss). Peace-Andy/ "Aidan
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:19 pm
Aidan is a good and interesting woman who has posted her photo here on a2k in the past - unless I am more confused than usual, and I doubt it very much this time. There may be some adolescent effort to act like Aidan on some thread - I think I noticed the end of that exchange, but I guessed it was just confusion. If it is someone pretending to be someone else, that is a big fat violation against terms of service here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:21 pm
Although, there is another long time member named Aidan, I think. Not any kind of jerk. So I'll check the membership and see if I am confused or not, and get back to you here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
As for a guy named Aidan, I was wrong, I was thinking of long time member, Adrian, who, as I said, is no jerk.

Aidan is a woman from New Jersey living in England - I double checked that from her posts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:38 pm
Hmmm, I just saw your long post. Sigh, I'll go back and read that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:40 pm
Oh, poo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
Well, I've been royally had. What a delight.

Not entirely an unknown possibility to me, being 'had' on various forums - as in dealing with a persona instead of a straightup person; many of us have watched personae fool around. This one surprised me.

So, may the bird of paradise put fleas forever in andy's bed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:59 pm
So is he saying Bom bom, Shazzer, NoNe, Lubna, and Allthisbeauty are characters by Spendius?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
wow.
interesting...
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:43 pm
ossobuco-

I'm not sure. I interpreted it as an insult. That he judged the me he's met through able2know to be without worth. I think that in terms of his coming clean, insulting the group he mentioned was both unnecessary and cheap. I also think he's still around the fora, so you should ask him if you want. I'm not really inclined to do so myself.

He is the only aidan I know of on able2know. I apologize if I wasn't correct in telling you.

Peace
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:42 am
Well, Shazzer, as they say, "whatever".
In any case, I appreciate your posts, very thoughtful and articulate, and am happy you are at a2k.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:39 pm
Thanks. I like discussing things here, and knew that I'd meet all types when I signed up. I guess I was just surprised cause I felt 'aidan' and I had conversed well enough. It was kind of like a 'Huh? Where is this coming from?' feeling more than any kind of deep hurt. Of course no one likes to be insulted, but like you said, 'whatever.'
0 Replies