You are what you eat?

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
Statements from 2 women I know....

One, who's husband does all the cooking has said more than once that if something happened to him, she'd just eat frozen dinner every night or pick something up (meaning McDonald's or Whattaburger)

The 2nd said - I never cook anymore, I just toss a frozen dinner in the microwave when I get home.
(I asked her doesn't she ever miss a home cooked meal - She said - oh then I'll broil a chicken breast and steam vegetables)

My husband, who's always trying to GAIN weight, asked me to pick up some frozen dinners so if he wakes up in the middle of the night and wants a snack, that'd be easy for him. This isn't for mealtime, just something for 2am noshing.

Well, normally I bring leftovers from the night before for lunch. What I cooked the night before.
Yesterday I was in a rush, and instead of packing a lunch, I grabbed one of those frozen dinners. Some Healthy Choice Fish rice and vegetable thing.

Lunch was, to say the least, underwhelming. Sad

This got me to thinking - is food just something that means very little to some people?

If you are what you eat - Who Are You? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:03 am
I have heard that you are either:

Some one that eats to live or

Some one that lives to eat.

I am some one that lives to eat. Fortunately I as long as I eat within reason, I can pretty much eat what I like. Also, fortunately, I prefer healthy meals to snacks and sweets.

I do know some of those people who eat to live. One such person would eat the same boring sandwich each day for lunch.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:56 am
Good question.

I adore good food--but when I'm dieting I find it helpful to limit my choices to same old, same old.

My husband can't taste the difference between a strawberry grown 3000 miles away and a strawberry picked in our zip code. Maddening!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:08 pm
Unfortunatly, most of the foods we consume today are NOTHING close to what they were a hundred years ago ( about 2-3 generations ago-in a good perspective )
Chickens are pumped with groth hormones and what would normally take a chicken 6mos to a year to gain in weight, he is able to gain in under 3 months. Essentially an artifical chicken at that point.

Our produce is grown with growth hormones as well, like Miracle grow. These products strip the ground that the produce is living in , of all good bacteria, insects etc.. that contribute to the health of the plants.
These things change the way food tastes completely. It also strips almost all nutrients from these foods and gives the " eater" filler for dinner.
Think about it .
Do you EVER see skinny people buying slim fast foods? (pppbbtthh)
Do you ever see healthy people at McDonalds? ( ppbbtthh)

Since this enormous change in the way our foods taste, and the way we now PRODUCE foods, many many MANY people are becoming the type who ' live to eat' .
If you dont enjoy your food, and your body doesnt get nutrients from what you eat, you crave more.
Our taste buds register salt, fat , and sugar as pleasureable because it is in EVERYTHING. Not raw veggies, b eans, rice etc..
Our society is burdened with sugary fat foods and our people show it.
So yeah
you are what you eat.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
Well she-wolf, at least we have Central Market and Whole Foods. :wink:

I love CM's breads, and their pesto. The best part is, if you don't know what to do with something, "er, how exactly does one prepare rattlesnack. ?" one of the foodies are happy to help.

They always know what there're talking about, except this one time.....
I asked this apparantly new guy a question about whatever it was at the time. He started off okay, but then, after a little bit he realized he had tread into deeper water and started fumbling.

Knowing Austin as you do, it was all I could do to try to help the poor guy out by saying "Hey, look, just go get me a gay guy, he'll know" Laughing Laughing

BTW - where abouts do you live sw? I'm over off of Bluebonnet on Hether St., right by the Zilker School.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
I too, live to eat. I have a very lewd love affair with food. Sometimes I am ashamed of myself but I can't stop! It just tastes so good...I love to eat.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:48 pm
I live close to Manchaca and Slaughter.
I know where you are talking about Chai.... close to Mr natural right?

Pesto..
mmmmmmm
I dont bother with store brand anymore though.
I make my own, WELL, technically Mr Wolf makes it
Holy C R A P it is gooood.

I will share the recipe in Pm sometime when I can get him to write it down.

Lewd, crude, and down right dirty
describes my love affair with food..
and my arse shows it
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:50 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
"Hey, look, just go get me a gay guy, he'll know" Laughing Laughing .

AAAKK

another woman who loves gay men as much as I do...

they do rule dont they... ;-)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:12 pm
Mr. Natural - that name cracks me up. I think that the name of that character that cartoonist (can't think of his name) came up with that was the "keep on truckin' " guy.

I looked in there once, didn't buy - BUT - a few blocks south on lamar on the west side is the Phoenician Bakery. -Bakery is a misnomer, They have EVERYTHING.
I'm not sure if the owners are lebanese, iranian or what, but it must be good stuff because a lot of people from the middle east shop there. Also a bunch of greek stuff.

That's what I mean. How can somebody be happy with a broiled chicken breast and steamed vegetables, when you can have SOOOOOOOO much more?
Eating food is experiencing another culture.

Carbs, schmarbs, that's what I say.

(maybe I should use that under my signature)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:24 pm
Mr Natural is actually VERY good.
vegan/vegetarian tex mex foods.
They have these burritos with black beans, cheese,rice and steamed veggies that are just AWESOME.
you should try it.
But go good and hungry. They serve HUGE portions for only 7 bucks.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:27 pm
Hmmm, maybe on the way home......
0 Replies