Major league baseball banning "sticky stuff" for pitchers.

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 02:30 pm
MLB is banning the "sticky stuff" June 21. Sticky stuff refers to any substance added to the legal rosin for an extra grip, which allow extra spin on the ball and increased english. Strikeouts were climbing and hitting reduced. It was starting to get boring with the lack of hitting, even more boring than usual. Watch the ERAs start climbing and the fans waking up.

Professional baseball has always striven for a balance between the pitchers and hitters despite individual clubs playing to their strengths and gaining an advantage by tolerating "cheating," legal or not.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:06 pm
I thought sticky stuff was banned long ago. I don't really follow this stuff much, however.
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
The best thing they banned was pitchers taking five minutes to throw a pitch... scratching their crotches, spitting, looking at the guys on base, scratching their crotches, spitting, looking at the outfielders, waving at the catcher, scratching their crotches, scuffing the mound...repeat. THAT was boring!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Spitballing was banned. That was putting a foreign substance on the ball to cause an erratic flight, an illegal knuckleall, so to speak. Gaylord Perry was known for spitballing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:22 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
an extra grip, which allow extra spin on the ball and increased english
some pitchers are claiming they will lose control of where the ball gets pitched without the stuff.

will be interesting to see if there is an immediate increase in batters getting hit by wayward pitches...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I thought sticky stuff was banned long ago. I don't really follow this stuff much, however.

I am pretty sure it was - just everyone turned a blind eye to it - it seems until it increased (or perhaps the substances used have gotten better?) - it has become to the point that it is impacting the game much more so they (the powers that be) decided no more ignoring this.
Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 03:52 pm
@Linkat,
But they decided and enforced it in the middle of th. season. Nice consistent decision making.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 04:02 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

But they decided and enforced it in the middle of th. season. Nice consistent decision making.

Not disagreeing at all.., should have given time or else started prior to season starting
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 02:41 pm
With steroids banned too, what will they ever do?

How about play baseball.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 08:10 pm
@coluber2001,
They could try to learn how to run the bases in their spare time.Thecyankess have already made three triple-plays and it’s not even hakway through the season.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 08:39 pm
@Ragman,
... and then there’s the lost art of the bunt.
0 Replies