Controversial comic strip "The Boondocks" on Adult Swim

Zane

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:
If you've been offended by the comic strip "The Boondocks" in this and other newspapers, prepare to have the same reaction when a 30-minute animated series based on the strip premieres in Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block at 11 p.m. Oct. 2.

The strip's writer, Aaron McGruder, is executive producer of the 15-episode first season of the animated "Boondocks." Like the strip, the series follows the daily life of Robert "Granddad" Freeman (voice of John Witherspoon), who lives in the boondocks with his grandkids, 10-year-old Huey and 8-year-old Riley (both voiced by Regina King), who move in with him after living in Chicago's South Side.

Huey is a left-wing revolutionary who's determined to dislike suburbia. Riley is a proud product of modern rap culture.

In the first episode, "The Trial of R. Kelly," Granddad plays chess, and he and his opponent discuss the trials of famous black men in a scene charged with humor and racial politics.

"What did O.J. Simpson say to Kobe once his case was over? Don't let this whole trial thing turn you off to white women."

Because of the production time necessary for animated shows -- McGruder has already been working on the series for 10 months -- it can't be as topical as the comic. Instead, he said, it will be story-driven in a way the comic can't be.

Now 31, McGruder got his first syndication contract for the strip at 23, fresh out of the University of Maryland. He said he originally conceived of "Boondocks" as a TV show, but at the time figured it might be easier to get a comic in newspapers than a show on TV.

But newspapers have been a challenge, too, sometimes pulling the strip if editors deem the topics or language offensive.

McGruder said he has never read fan mail or hate mail, but he's aware that some African-American leaders, including Jesse Jackson, have called his syndicate to complain about the comic. He said Jackson was upset when McGruder took him and other black leaders to task when they made a fuss about a Rosa Parks joke in the movie "Barbershop."

"I didn't call him back," McGruder said. "What are we going to talk about? 'OK, you're mad about the strip, you're gonna try to explain to me why 'Barbershop' is the end of the world. I don't really agree.' It's part of the feedback you don't want because it makes it hard to do the job. Jesse could call me and give a brilliant explanation of why what I did was terribly wrong, but it was still funny, and that's my job."

That said, McGruder acknowledged that he has softened in recent years since having more involvement in Hollywood and a greater opportunity to meet the people he criticizes in the comic, which has often skewered TV shows, movies and celebrities.

"I do think about it now when I sit down to write about people, and if I think I am I gonna see them, it's not worth it," he said. "Yeah, I can't help but soften, but I don't need to be hard my whole life. But I think more of it was just trying to do something else creatively. 'OK, I get it, that movie was bad.' I did it and didn't have the burning need to do it week-in and week-out. [Now it's] only when people really deserve it."

Originally made as a six-minute pilot for Fox, the TV version of "The Boondocks" migrated to Adult Swim after Fox passed on it, which was fine by McGruder. He said Fox didn't have a problem with the language or dialogue as much as the storytelling structure, which he described at Fox as "rigid."

"Adult Swim is much more open to telling bigger stories that aren't constrained to the living room," he said. "We got notes from Fox about showing the characters in the living room, the kitchen, the neighbor's house, their living room, their kitchen. 'We have to see that or we don't know where they live or where they eat.' "

Among TV shows, McGruder said, "The Boondocks" series probably bears the closest comedic sensibility to Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show." He said he and Dave Chappelle are friends of about the same age and have similar cultural influences. He's also a fan of Adult Swim's "Harvey Birdman, Attorney-at-Law" and both the British and American versions of "The Office."

Like "Chappelle's Show," the TV version of "Boondocks" includes use of the N-word.

"I think it makes the show sincere," he said. "At a certain point, sometimes we use bad language, and the N-word is used so commonly now, not only by myself but people I know, that I feel it's fake to write around it and not use it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,173 • Replies: 16
No top replies

snood

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:24 am
I love the boondocks, and am sorry I now live in a city (San Antonio) with newspapers that can't take those kinds of jokes. what kind? Oh, those that are irreverent and controversial, AND (before you mention Doonesbury) written by a young Black man with a lot of axes to grind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:27 pm
Snood
Boondocks is in Yahoo comics every day, in case you've been missing it. I often send the better episodes to my brother.
Doonesbury often bores me, but, Boondocks never does.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
I love his strip. It's in the Boston Globe and you can also find it on their online site.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:33 pm
It's great. Can't wait to see it on Cartoon Network. Adult Swim has made a good choice with this one.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:53 am
Quote:

link: the complete article containing the above excerpt
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:41 pm
Ooohoooo....... so, who do you suppose makes up McGruder's readership?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:07 pm
Wow, I just read the whole article (well, most of it).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:05 pm
littlek--

Us white-bread, middle-class broads in tennis shoes march to our own drummers.

McGruder is colorful--and alien.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:19 pm
I'll agree with all that except the tennis shoes.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:19 am
Noddy24 wrote:
littlek--

Us white-bread, middle-class broads in tennis shoes march to our own drummers.

McGruder is colorful--and alien.

Yeah, well, you probably don't march in rhythm.
Alien? Only to those with an allergy to biting satire that goes against the grain.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:40 am
White bread lacks nutrients and has a high glycemic index.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
nymph-
Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:46 am
Snood--

Quote:

Yeah, well, you probably don't march in rhythm.
Alien? Only to those with an allergy to biting satire that goes against the grain.

Of course, I don't march in rhythm. I gimp along.

My "alien" comment was prompted by his behavior at the banquet. He must have had his reasons, but I don't understand the point of deliberately being offensive to friends and supporters.

I have not gimped in his shoes.

Would it be more correct to announce that I'm probably alien to him?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:39 pm
Well, did anyone watch The Boondocks?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
I certainly did. I happened upon it while scanning through the channels. I caught the whole 20 minutes (shame it couldn't be more - 20 min. isn't much of a launchpad). I am somewhere between incredulity at the creativity of Magruder's mind, and worry for his sanity.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
I think he's just insane enough.

Comic distortion

Regina King is an excellent choice for the voices of Huey and Riley.
0 Replies