Non-Sunday Church Goers are Going to Roast in Hell

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:16 am
...at least that's what the local family oriented (non-religious) radio station declared. One of the radio personalities bluntly said after a conversation regarding Sunday church going (versus Saturday night or during the week) that those who went to church on Saturday because of a tee time on Sunday would burn in hell as Satans slave. Shocked Nice.

This is EXACTLY why I can't buy into organized religion. People just lose their freakin' minds. I highly doubt that Jesus would be upset if you choose to worship him on Saturday and then relax and enjoy the world he gave you on Sunday. But that is just me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,979 • Replies: 21
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:20 am
I'm with you, fellow pagan. Dance with me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:22 am
Shake it Gus...shake what the good Lord gave you!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:24 am
Amen, sister!

<begins to gyrate furiously>
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:32 am
Not that I am trying to justify what this personality said, but......

I once called my wife an idiot. How does that make you feel about me?

Oh, of course I left out the context of the entire conversation. My friend and I were talking about what possible reasons why she consented to marry me. Now I don't look quite as bad when the statement is placed in context.

Now, I don't know the context of the statement. I assume you do and that the speaker was absolutely serious. But somehow trying to make a point about religion based on an out of context statement is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
They were serious. It was far too serious a conversation for the show it was on, IMO.

Basically, the segment ended with the comment "and then all of you can roast in the flames of hell as Satan's slave." in regards to those who do not go to church, do not dress up for church and those who attend mass on any day other than Sunday for any reason other than you just absolutely can not make it on Sunday (being sick).
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:51 am
I'll certainly take your word for it then that it was serious. In which case I don't think they have any more idea of what they are talking about than I would if I were to engage someone in a discussion of German politics.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
Very true.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
some people are just dicks
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
I always hate to see people assert rules to a religion.
Truth of the matter is, until we DIE, noone knows what will happen.
There is no way to tell if the rules are factual or not
Dont eat a cow (muslim )
no sex until marriage (christian )
Sunday worship ONLY (mormon )
blah blah blah...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:47 pm
Some people have been saying that for hundreds of years. No doubt some people will be saying that for hundreds of years into the future.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:32 pm
The person who said that is just an ignoramous, switch the station fast. I am so tired of hearing this kind of puke.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
Is it hot in here or is it just me?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:48 am
It was just inappropriate. A secular station giving me religious advice? How to get to heaven? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:49 am
boomerang wrote:
Is it hot in here or is it just me?

You're just plain hot boomer. :wink:
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:06 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I always hate to see people assert rules to a religion.
Truth of the matter is, until we DIE, noone knows what will happen.
There is no way to tell if the rules are factual or not
Dont eat a cow (muslim )
no sex until marriage (christian )
Sunday worship ONLY (mormon )
blah blah blah...

Actually, don't eat a cow is Hindu.

Muslim rules for eating and drinking are similar to Jewish rules, seeing as the two religions both have the same origins.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:12 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Muslim rules for eating and drinking are similar to Jewish rules, seeing as the two religions both have the same origins.

Christianity is actually much closer historically to Judaism than is Islam. By your supposition, Christian and Jewish eating practices ought to be similar. But they are not.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:14 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Christianity is actually much closer historically to Judaism than is Islam. By your supposition, Christian and Jewish eating practices ought to be similar. But they are not.

Well, you can blame Paul for that.

If it had been up to Jesus, we would still be eating like the Jewish people do, after all, their rules are also in the Christian Bible, right?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:30 am
My good friend Frank and I are having a civil discussion about the existence/non-existence of hell. You can join in HERE, if you like.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:31 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Well, you can blame Paul for that.

If it had been up to Jesus, we would still be eating like the Jewish people do, after all, their rules are also in the Christian Bible, right?

From sources I've read about the first followers of Jesus, the Jewish saints (Peter, James, whoever else left of disciples still in Jerusalem) were horrified that Paul did not require Gentiles to bear the yoke, all the required dietary laws and other rituals, demanded of them to follow. The Jews complained, also, about allowing Gentiles in the religion at all. They thought an overwhelming onslaught of crude Gentiles would literally rot the entire community.

The above I read in an old book written in 1936, The Apostle by Sholem Asch
0 Replies