What the f--- is with the French????

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:08 am
Yup, European Union has nothing better to do for profit than to sell women out of Bosnia and Herzegovina... Geez. Do you know how many web sites are out there? why don't we focus on those that are somewhat credible.
as for the rest, that is surely an issue, but i will go for my facts to some other source than 'iabolish' (?)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:23 am
Dyncorp, one of the Pentagon's chief subcontractors and supplier of mercenaries, was embarrassed that its (Pentagon) employees in Serbia were running a white slave trade. Your post reminded me of that, Dagmaraka.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:59 am
Dagmaraka

Quote:
why don't we focus on those that are somewhat credible.
as for the rest, that is surely an issue,

The rest is why I posted the article.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:17 am
I am more than willing to discuss slavery. But on the basis of a credible source, which this one is not.

how bout www.antislavery.org ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:17 am
au1929 wrote:
If you want to side with those nations that oppose the war in Iraq, don't pretend that they always have high moral records or any real concern for the victims of military or political power.

COMMENT:

I, for one, do not want to side with any of those other nations.

I want to side with the United States I knew before the boy moron and his disgusting handlers took over the office of president.

I want to side with the United States that respected the rule of law -- and that supported, rather than underminded, the United Nations.

I want to side with the United States that existed before this group of draft dodgers decided to show how brave they can be by sending other people to fight their battles.

That's who I want to side with.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:23 am
Well said, Frank. It's disgusting to see how this president all of a sudden has a conscience for the Iraqi people after twelve years of US-lead economic blockade that has killed thousands of innocent Iraqis. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
How ever much money, materials, skills are required and no matter where any of those commodities come from or who is running the show, what percentage of it will benefit the Iraqi people ? How many palms will be greased, how much cream will be syphoned off by the fixers, how many aid trucks will be hi-jacked or aid planes diverted to an unknown airfield coz of bad weather. How many warehouses are home too rats.
The rebuilding of Iraq is a mega, long term prog. It'll be huge and thus ripe for serious cherry picking. The war might end and then the hundreds of vested interests, vultures, will swoop and a feeding frenzy will begin.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 01:25 pm
Thank, ci.

We'll get our country back from these miscreants -- and although I have to offer a bit of begrudging admiration for the speed with which they have been able to turn our country from a fairly ethical, reasonable, moderating force in the world into a pathetic macho bully -- the fact is they have about a year and a half left to stink up the place.

After that, its back to whatever rank sewers and holes from which they came.

Hummmm...as I read over my remarks, I realize that I really don't like these people very much. Quite unlike me. But...they try harder to be scum -- and it has changed me.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:27 pm
Frank
That which you attribute to me is from the article I posted. However, what do you find to object. The statement does not suggest who you should side with it just makes a statement which if you get past your bias you could not disagree with.
Yes, Bush is not the brightest bulb on the string.
Yes, we should not have invaded Iraq.
Yes, we couldn't give a tinkers damn to his people. And yes as the article said
If you want to side with those nations that oppose the war in Iraq, don't pretend that they always have high moral records or any real concern for the victims of military or political power."
As far as who is responsible for the current situation. There is plenty of blame to go around. IMO Bush for the invasion and the UN for it's ineptitude.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:30 pm
I'm always suprised at people who value the UN's competence by how close the UN's rulings are to the opinions they have.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:56 pm
Craven, Isn't that true of all political beliefs? c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:29 pm
au1929 wrote:
Frank
That which you attribute to me is from the article I posted. However, what do you find to object. The statement does not suggest who you should side with it just makes a statement which if you get past your bias you could not disagree with. ..

...If you want to side with those nations that oppose the war in Iraq, don't pretend that they always have high moral records or any real concern for the victims of military or political power."...

... As far as who is responsible for the current situation. There is plenty of blame to go around. IMO Bush for the invasion and the UN for it's ineptitude.

COMMENT:

1) I didn't attribute the quote, the system did that. If you hit the quote button, that's the way it works.

2) I don't disagree with most of the article, I just wanted to make a statement about who and what I side with -- and I side with America as it was before these bunglers took over.

That was my only point.

3) I disagree with you about the United Nations. In my opinion, the organitzation is doing the best it can under very tough conditions. Having the president of the United States get in a silly, shildish snit -- and pretty much spitting on the UN certainly did nothing to help strengthen it.

In short, au, I was not disagreeing with you (other than the UN part) and I was not really disagreeing with the article. I was just using the material in the article as a convenient segue into some remarks I wanted to make -- and made!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:14 pm
Copied from an e-mail:
Quote:
"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these
drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by
prostitutes." ---Mark Twain
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me." --- General George S. Patton
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your
accordion." ---Norman Schwartzkopf
"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it." ----
Marge Simpson
"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure" ---Jacques Chirac,
President of France
"As far as France is concerned, you're right." ---Rush Limbaugh,
"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is
sitting in Paris sipping coffee." --- Regis Philbin
"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any
better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit
outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more
stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't
know." --- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the
1940's who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the
face for it." --- John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona
"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he
hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French,
people!" --- Conan O'Brien
"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get
Saddam
out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of
France!" --- Jay Leno
"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into
Paris
under a German flag." --- David Letterman

"They've taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for an
attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a
three-day supply of mistresses in the house." Argus Hamilton
"Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being
advertised on eBay the other day-the description was, 'Never shot. Dropped
once.'" --- Rep. Roy Blunt (MO)
"The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found
truffles in Iraq." --- Dennis Miller
"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of it's
national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the azis? ---
Dennis Miller
Raise your right hand if you like the French ... raise both hands if you
are French.
Q. What did the mayor of Paris say to the German Army as they entered the
city in WWII?
A. Table for 100,000 m'sieur?
"Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It's not known;
it's never been tried." --- Rep. R. Blount (MO)
"Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII?
And
that's because it was raining." --- John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv
"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when
they needed us." --- Alan Kent
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:22 pm
Anecdotal rips at the French are always popular stateside (and most other places I have been to) and those are truly funny but is there a point other than mirth?

I ask because many of those sentiments (that the French are cowards) are popular and wonder if you posit that though proxy.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:25 pm
Sheesh, who took the time to collect these pearls of human wit? frank, i hear you. although the u.s. never respected the un the way other countries did, they certainly observed it much more than now. sorry state of affairs. and blaming the un for being illegitimate and unworthy of respect seems to me like blaming a game for being stupid because the rules are not being observed by the players.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:27 pm
I'd take that a bit further. It's like mocking a crippled child whose legs you have broken.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:39 pm
Hear ye, hear ye, really I do.
Why do we attack fair France?
(That was a link for my opinion, only better written).

Be well. Think well. Take care.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:47 pm
Thank you, Newbie -- and welcome!! Molly Ivins sure is an antidote for a raging national case of ridiculousness!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:53 pm
Yay Molly. (And welcome CodeBorg!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
That's a great article, thanks CodeBorg
0 Replies