What the f--- is with the French????

timberlandko

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:32 pm
CDK, I'm in agreement with you. The US will be less than forgivingly charitable. Compared to The Post-War realignment of global alliances, the attack on Iraq is a sideshow. The World is changing, and for good or ill, US influence in The Middle East will be both significant and longlasting. A byproduct of the current conflict will be increased US pressure toward a resolution of the Palestinian/Israeli mess, which in itself, when accomplished, will further increase US influence over the region. Traditional European involvement with Middle Eastern affairs is a thing of the past. The US will come out of this even more dominant, and likely more arrogant, than most suspect. Apart from Saddam and the Eurpean nations which have activel opposes the US, the biggest loser will be the stature and efficacy of The UN. I also see upcoming Franco-Russian diplomatic measures serving only to further alienate the US, and to further marginalize the UN. Deprived of US weaponry, financial backing, and diplomatic support, the UN is indeed functionally impotent and irrelevant. I think that is the real tragedy. The World needs the UN, the UN needs the US. The US can get along without the UN. France cannot.

The US disregard for French diplomatic opposition appears to many, particularly in the 3rd World, to disclose that France in fact is without real power or influence and of little value as either ally or business partner. A concerted, French-led (though likely proxied through Russia and/or Germany) UN initiative to bring about a diplomatic solution short of US victory over Saddam is to be expected, as is French effort to assure herself a role in the Post-Saddam Middle East; neither is to be expected to achieve any greater success than did French efforts to avert the attack on Iraq. The exercize will establish the end of France's role as a world power. Disclosure of French involvement with illicit, sanction-violating activities with Iraq will take from her even the moral high ground. France has played her cards, and come short of staying in the game.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:42 pm
I'd give the Brits a chance to convince us to mend our relationship with the UN before I write them off. The Brits want post-war UN involvement and so do the moderates within our administration.

But by and large I agree with you, the UN is as relevant as we decide to make it. And currently most of our leaders see the decrease of the relevance of the UN as a goal rather than a problem.

One point I'm not so willing to agree with you on is the Palestine question. I think our pressure for resolution will decrease after the war and it will come down to whether Bush wants to meet his own deadlines. If he does want to meet his deadlines I think he has a tough opponent with Sharon and the Palastinian volatility is as high as ever.

Sharon is good at using Bush's words against him and I don't think Bush will be able to exert sufficient pressure on Isreal.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
Well, it's happened before and it will doubtless happen again. Big powers get very surprised at the opposition they meet. Perhaps that opposition will decide to make us "irrelevant."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:06 pm
That is only possible with economic unity. We do very well at avoiding a united economic opposition so I do not see that happening.

I see Nato weakening the EU and another of our blocs in South America. I think the EU was the world's only shot at a counterbalance and we are making all the right moves to make sure that never happens.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:16 pm
This administration's rhetoric about working on a solution on Israel is all bluster. Does this administration really think they can find a solution in less than two years? They haven't even settled the war in Iraq, and they're claiming it's only the beginning. Who ever wants to buy that - I have a bridge I can sell very cheap. It's called the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:37 pm
Thanks Frank, I never paid much attention in history class....very enlightening Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:52 pm
Tartarin
Much to your chagrin we will not become irrelevant. I am beginning to wonder which side of the border that you are close to you live on.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 04:41 pm
I'm an American, Au, but I'm also a human on this planet.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 04:57 pm
I almost forgot...

Why did the French line the Champs Elysees with trees?
So the Nazis could march in the shade. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 05:03 pm
was that a joke? i failed to find it funny.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 05:04 pm
I heard it said that the only way to get the French into Iraq is to convince them that truffles grew there.

Interesting also that Russia is opposed to the war option and then we find out they have been selling them arms, even training Iraqis how to use them, in Iraq. Very compelling stuff.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 05:05 pm
Who found out just now? It has never been a secret. Russia, and other countries have been selling arms to Iraq for years, with the full knowledge of the U.S.!!!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:04 pm
Have I missed something? What's wrong with France wanting to have some of the reconstruction action? So what if they opposed the U.S. starting the war. The argument sounds like more of the same jingoism- U.S. gets control of the sandbox.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:13 pm
What are they going to do? Build a winery and a brie plant?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:19 pm
Gala
What is France looking for their usual free ride. They got one after WW2 let's hope they don't get one after this one.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:20 pm
Everyone knows it's the world of egoism of countries. Those who gave a plausible propaganda have often a strength in the course of events. Acceptability of propagandas must be different from long term benefit minus cost, if the latter was well-defined.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:21 pm
What does a free ride have to do with it? This war is not an investment. They already had business interests there. We will try to supplant them. They want to keep as much of the pie as they can.

This has nothing to do with free ride unless you consider the spoils of this war to be Iraq's business.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:40 pm
whether the US or the Brits or the French reap the spoils, it will be on the backs of the Iraqi's, paid for with their oil and their blood.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:48 pm
After this conflict is over there will be reconstruction needed and yes money to be made. The people that supported us should get it not those that didn't. Obviously the French are just anticipating what will happen probably based upon what their reaction would be and are starting to whine already.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 06:52 pm
??? so the united states should have the supreme right now to decide who can trade with iraq and who not? strange understanding of justice!
0 Replies