What is the best small to midsize SUV?

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
I am looking into buying a new SUV that gets decent gas milage can pull a small boat, and is roomy for under 30,000. I would really appereciate advice!

-FanFan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 21,090 • Replies: 14
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:20 pm
Toyota Rav4 brilliant little vehicle!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
The RAV4 is a nice little SUV although if you are looking for something to take off road I'd be hesitant.

The Jeep Liberty has a diesel version out and I'd give that serious consideration too if you are in one of the states where you can buy one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:29 pm
RAV 4 is dangerous. The Jeep Cherokee (the old boxy one) is being revived because the little one that replaced it(the Liberty) has been described as "too cute". The original Cherokee with its 4.L six and good mileage is higher in ground clearance than some of the bigger SUVs. I have a 92 and its got hundreds of thousands of miles. I replaced the muffler twice from an unforseen (really) connection with some stratified coal mine hardpan. I replaced 2 clutches (I tend to use the gearbox to stop). And there were 3 accidents that required surgery. Outside of that, its a gem. The little grommet that holds in the 4wd controller, every couple years just pops out and I dont have 4wd until I get a new grommet and Ive never figured out why they just didnt put in a spigot.
I would take a bullet for this car.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:34 pm
farmerman wrote:
The original Cherokee with its 4.L six and good mileage is higher in ground clearance than some of the bigger SUVs. I have a 92 and its got hundreds of thousands of miles.

I have a '91 Cherokee with the 4.0L (auto trans) that I am about to give up. I just bought a full sized GMC pickup to replace it but it's got 187,000+ miles on it and if it weren't for the leaks (gas, oil, A/C, cooling system, power steering..) it keeps sprouting everywhere lately I'd hold onto it. That 4.0L is a damn good engine. It passed emmisons checks on last year's state inspection with flying colors.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
Aw hell, my AC quit before 9/11, I just rolls down the winders. If I need to be comfortable and cool in the mines, I take a diesel truck. I just love that little Jeep. I once drove in a field at a prospect in Canada and must have hit some "Bobwire". I was driving for about 2 hours coming back to Quebec City when I started to smell this burning metal smell. I looked under the car and there, all nicely rolled up around the front transfer case was about 1/2 mile of wire. I drove to A tow and gestured to a guy who spoke no English (I on the other hand , spoke no French.) I pointed to the wire underneath and he muttered something and the word mert was in there, It took him a couple of hours to hack through the metal, which was starting to become mechanically fused into a large donut.
Once he got the transfer case all cleaned off, he greassed her up and I was on my way. I never ever had any U joint problems or any tranny problems (except those clutches) .
They used to make an old 2.8 (I think it was a six also, not sure, coulda been a four ) but I had that one get chewed up by a beaver who liked my antifreeze . That one had some problems. I sold it to a rural mailcarrier , who , nd this is no ****, to this day, has it setting out in front of his trailerhome up by the dam. I dont think itmoved for 6 years, so I think the gas has gotten a bit foul.
They are using the 5.2 for the diesel I believe. The gas version is used in the earlier Durango and the smaller trucks.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
The only time you'll really need the 4WD is on the boat ramp. That is the only time I wish my trusty 2WD Dodge Dakota (manual transmission) had 4WD. That slime mold that grows on the ramps in an Appalachian summer is incredibly slick. But then I've found that a little sand under the wheels solves that problem much more economically than buying a new 4WD truck (I'm a pickup person as hauling around friends broken Harleys won't work with a SUV-Note I ride a BMW, see avatar).

As far as winter and ice and snow, a manual transmission is a better option than 4WD, particularly since I found that 4WD tend to make drivers feel invulnerable. I've pulled many out of ditches with the Dakota with a load of firewood in the bed and chains on the rear wheels.

This is my second Dakota and it has 250,000+ miles on it. I did an engine swap last year & replaced the clutch while the engine was missing (clutch worn but not near gone).

Since the Durango is the SUV equivalent to the Dakota, I recommend a Durango as long as it had a manual transmission (I've heard bad thing about Dodge Truck automatics) a magnum six cylinder engine (apparently only available with Durango's with manual transmissions).

Rap
0 Replies

fanfan1313

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:51 pm
Thanks for the advice.

The Jeep Liberty is something that I have overlooked, but I will start checking out.

Another car that I'm looking at is the Toyota Highlander.
Any advice on this??

Fishin'- I love the signiture.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:27 pm
farmerman wrote:
RAV 4 is dangerous. .

err what makes you say that...I have one, so what makes the Toyota Rav4 so dangerous? Im interrested to hear....

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 2004 RAV4 with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.

OVERALL EVALUATION: GOOD

Good-Acceptable-Marginal-Poor
0 Replies

fanfan1313

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
I looked at the RAV 4 today and I think that it's too small.

It seems I'm looking for a Honda CRV with a V6. Anyway I'll have to find a Jeep Dealership...

-FanFan
0 Replies

juju1025

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:17 pm
Re: What is the best small to midsize SUV?
fanfan1313 wrote:
I am looking into buying a new SUV that gets decent gas milage can pull a small boat, and is roomy for under 30,000. I would really appereciate advice!

-FanFan
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:39 pm
I had a ssubaru Forrester in SA last week and it was a very neat little station wagon/SUV. Id give serious thought to this were I not deeply still in love with my ole Jeep an my trucks.
0 Replies

kndthompson

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:47 pm
santa fe is much better choice
the hyundai santa fe is a much better choice, more room, more power, and with electonic stability control, not as dangerous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 05:50 am
Consumer Report disagrees.
Quote:
? Subaru Forester
(*est. $21,795 to $28,695)

>> Where to buy Best small SUV.For the 2006 model year, the Subaru Forester is the best compact SUV, according to reviews. The turbocharged 2.5L version gets particularly high marks for acceleration that surpasses nearly all other SUVs, regardless of price and size. Reviewers claim it is plain fun to drive, while also performing well in government crash tests. The Forester seats five, and the rear seat folds flat. Safety features include ABS and breakaway foot pedals. Overall the Subaru SUV is an excellent value for those with limited hauling and passenger carrying needs. Fuel economy is very good, about 23 mpg/city and 28 mpg/highway, according to EPA estimates.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:25 am
Infinity has a really NICE suv. Great size, though I don't know if it is under 30,000 though.

http://www.ohbei-auto.co.jp/newcar/nissan-infinity.jpg

Im not sure about reliability or performance beyond that I have ridden in one and I loved it.
I am a die hard toyota person though. They last for ever.. but someone had mentioned early on the Rav 4.
I personally would buy a toyota even if it were the size of a tuna can.. but .. the rav 4 is NOT very roomy. And if you are looking to fit alot into it, unless you are single and can remove every seat in that thing, you don't have alot of space in it.

The infinity is FULL of cargo space, very.. VERY comfy and I believe even gets pretty decent gas mileage..

but.. I suggest it only because it is the only suv/ vehicle for that matter that I think is just beautiful. Smile
0 Replies