Republican attacks on democracy are a national emergency. Will Democrats ever fight back?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 12:59 pm
@hightor,
I saw the same thing. Maybe someone is experiencing a little short term sobriety.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 06:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The only threat to Democracy in this thread is what you see when you look in a mirror.
Thank you for sharing your opinion of me. Smile

Quote:
The Republicans will prevent you from harming our democracy.
Thank you for letting us all know about the warped bizarre thoughts twirling around in your mind. Smile
Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 07:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you are going to quote a partisan politician making the expected partisan argument, at keast get the partisan rhetoric correct.

Thank you. Smile
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 07:37 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Thank you for sharing your opinion of me. Smile

My opinion of you went all the way to zero when I saw how you were bullying Lash.

The moderators will remove my post if I tell you what I truly think of you.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:18 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I just checked and there is research on the relationship between compulsory voting and information seeking particularly in Australia. You can see the summary here https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322708501_Compulsory_voting_and_voter_information_seeking

Quote:
This suggests that the negative relationship between compulsory voting and the “quality” of votes is partly due to the fact that those who are compelled to turn out expend less effort when deciding how to cast their ballots.

I'm not debating whether compulsory voting is good, bad. better or worst; what I'm saying, and have been saying, is that it's much better than NOT HAVING A CHANCE to vote. In democratic systems, of course. I really don't care if Joe Blow (no offence, Joe Blow) votes this way or that - what matters is that Joe Blow CAN vote.

So, the only way the federal government can stop these states from these restrictive rules is to mandate voting so they are legally required to ensure everyone gets an equal opportunity to exercise their rights and obligations.

Should any of our provinces and territories try to adopt these measures, there would be protests like never before. It just wouldn't happen. And I am shaking my head that it's not only happening in the USA, but it's pervasive. Un-freaking-believable. But not so much unbelievable, really, from all that nonsense of the last four years.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:30 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
My opinion of you went all the way to zero when I saw how you were bullying Lash.

The moderators will remove my post if I tell you what I truly think of you.

Do you need a hug? Sad
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:40 pm
@Real Music,
lol I think many people on here need a hug Smile And I'd like to know how you bullied Lash, who can take care of herself, by the way. What did you say to her? Smile
Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:41 pm
Merrick Garland pledges to enforce voting rights protection.

Attorney General Merrick Garland pledged to step up enforcement of voting rights
during a speech today at the Department of Justice.

Published June 11, 2021

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:44 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
who can take care of herself, by the way.

She ended up leaving the site for a long time, and even now doesn't participate in any political threads.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:51 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
lol I think many people on here need a hug Smile And I'd like to know how you bullied Lash, who can take care of herself, by the way. What did you say to her? Smile

1. I simply expose her for who she really was.
2. Me telling her the truth about herself really got under her skin.
3. Me seeing right through her and exposing what I saw in her, really got under her skin.
4. The truth really hurts and she didn't like it one bit.
5. Since she stop posting, I generally don't bring her name up.
6. The only reason I am posting anything about her now is because you are asking me about her.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:01 pm
@Real Music,
Fair enough. I have no idea what you're referring to, but it matters not. And maybe she wouldn't agree with the word 'bullied', either.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:05 pm
@Mame,
If I witnessed that sort of bullying in real life I'd step in and break the bully's nose, even if I didn't know who the victim was.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:24 pm
@oralloy,
Well, not having been privy to the thread, I have no idea what he thinks constitutes 'bully'. Lash is not one to be bullied, so I have my doubts that she was or thought she was. So far, it's just RM's assertions.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:26 pm
@Mame,
Again, she actually left the site for a long time.

And even now she doesn't post in political threads anymore.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:44 pm
@oralloy,
And we don't know the reason(s) why. I left for a few years and it wasn't because of being bullied. From what I remember of Lash, she was quite a strong personality with her own sense of self, which wouldn't lend herself to accept being bullied.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 11:30 am
@Mame,
Hi Mame ! Long time, no see. I've largely given up on A2k but, dropped in on a whim, and saw this. I hope things are going well for you up in Alberta.. Best wishes.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 11:43 am
@georgeob1,
Good to see you, however seldom.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 11:47 am
@roger,
Thank you. Best wishes to you as well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 11:48 am
@georgeob1,
Hello yourself - I'm only recently back here. Life up here is great now that winter is over. Good to see you here.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12:05 pm
@Mame,
Going to lunch at the SFYC today.. I'll have one for you!