Senator King Delivers Impassioned Speech On the Senate Floor Urging Action to Defend Voting Rights.

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 02:35 am
Senator Angus King Jr. Delivers Impassioned Speech On the Senate Floor
Urging Action to Defend Voting Rights.

Published: Oct 19, 2021

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 836 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 07:45 am
So far the Democrats are pissing away the chances they'e had to make their "agenda" work in almost every capacity.
hightor

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
They simply do not have the votes to enable an ambitious agenda.

I expect this will cause many Democrats to sit out the mid-terms – as they often do – and then whine about the GOP taking control of Congress and undoing the few constructive things the Biden administration has accomplished.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 08:46 am
@hightor,
Even things they could control are not being done. Not having an overwhelming majority is no excuse to sit on one's hands.
hightor

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Even things they could control are not being done.

Such as? (I'm not disputing you, I'm simply curious.)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 09:10 am
@hightor,
Student debt removal, restoring the Post Office to its intended functions, ignoring the parliamentarian's opinions like everyone else has done in the past - There is more, but I don't want to overstate my case.
hightor

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 11:00 am
@edgarblythe,
If he doesn't have the votes to pass ambitious legislation, trying to accomplish parts of his agenda by executive order is just a cruel joke as those orders can simply be overturned by the next president. Obama tried that and it didn't work.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 11:31 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Senator Angus King Jr. Delivers Impassioned Speech On the Senate Floor
Urging Action to Defend Voting Rights.

Published: Oct 19, 2021

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxkD_5G24E[/youtube]

It was a great speech. We all owe him lots of thanks for delivering it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 03:21 pm
@hightor,
By doing it he's more likely to get positive ratings from voters and help in the next elections. Doing nothing says, "F it I give up." And his ratings continue to drop.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2021 03:22 pm
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2021 07:05 pm
Continued Republican (Abuse) Of Filibuster Begins To Change Minds On Reform In Senate.

Senator Angus King, who had previous voiced opposition to getting rid of the Senate filibuster
rule, talks with Rachel Maddow about how Republican abuse of the rule to block everything
without even any debate, even on matters critical to the health of democracy in the United
States, is changing his perspective on reforming the filibuster.

Published: Oct 20, 2021

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 07:15 am
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/23/joe-biden-disappointed-supporters-approval
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 07:39 am
It is time for liberals to stop THINKING BIG...and start THINKING REASONABLY.

In today's political climate, it is not about doing what should be done (or even what must be done), but rather about what CAN be done.

An tiny minority of American citizens have managed to use lawful means to gain control over an overwhelming majority. People who identify as "liberals" have to acknowledge that...and focus on what CAN be done.

Right now, the Democratic Party is pissing away an opportunity. To suppose that Joe Biden can "lead" that rabble toward great progress rather than incremental progress is ludicrous. An Adolf Hitler might have been able to do it; a Joseph Stalin might have; an Idi Amin might have; a Genghis Khan could have...but no elected president can pull that off today. It is the Democratic Party...not Joe Biden that is the clog-up...and playing the-buck-stops-here card is a loser.

The Democratic Party should be doing an ALL-OUT assault on the Republican Party...and the cretins who inhabit it. They must all be on-board...or the Republic ends with our custodianship.

I ******* despise that I am part of the generation that insured the end of the great experiment. We should all hang our heads in shame.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 09:23 am
Over here, only private members bills and be talked out.

Government legislation can be guillotined meaning a vote will be taken whether people have finished talking or not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 09:54 am
We are nearing a point where the Democrats throw in the towel and beg for mercy from the voters.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 10:13 am
@edgarblythe,
The most notorious case of a Bill being talked down was when Tory MP Chris Chope stopped a private members Bill banning upskirting.

This is where photographs are taken up a woman/girls' skirt without their permission.

There was outrage at the time because this was a rare piece of legislation that had cross party support.

From now on upskirting is called choping.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 10:54 am
@izzythepush,
Chope probably has fantasies of himself doing it as well.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2021 11:45 am
@edgarblythe,
He gave some mealy mouthed response about needing more time to examine the facts.

He used to be an MP in Southampyon but got kicked out in 92, after that he went to the New Forest.
0 Replies