No top replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 11:55 am
Republicans Are America’s Problem

By Charles M. Blow
Opinion Columnist

Published Aug. 17, 2022

Quote:
Tuesday’s primary in Wyoming delivered Liz Cheney a resounding defeat. She is one of the few Republicans in Congress willing to resist Donald Trump’s election lies, and Republican voters punished her for it.

First, let me say, I have no intention of contributing to the hagiography of Liz Cheney. She is a rock-ribbed Republican who supported Trump’s legislative positions 93 percent of the time. It is on the insurrection and election lies where she diverged.

In a way, she is the Elvis of politics: She took something — in this case a position — that others had held all along and made it cross over. She mainstreamed a political principle that many liberals had held all along.

Excuse me if I temper my enthusiasm for a person who presents herself as a great champion of democracy but votes against the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

Situational morality is better than none, I suppose, but I see it for what it is, and I am minimally moved.

However, her loss does crystallize something for us that many had already known: that the bar to clear in the modern Republican Party isn’t being sufficiently conservative but rather being sufficiently obedient to Donald Trump and his quest to deny and destroy democracy.

We must stop thinking it hyperbolic to say that the Republican Party itself is now a threat to our democracy. I understand the queasiness about labeling many of our fellow Americans in that way. I understand that it sounds extreme and overreaching.

But how else are we to describe what we are seeing?

Of the 10 Republicans in the House who voted to impeach Donald Trump for his role in fomenting the insurrection, four didn’t seek re-election and four lost their primaries. Only two have advanced to the general election, and those two were running in states that allow voters to vote in any primary, regardless of their party affiliation.

Polls have consistently shown that only a small fraction of Republicans believe Joe Biden was legitimately elected. He was, of course. (That fact apparently can’t be repeated often enough.)

And in fact, according to a Washington Post analysis published this week, in battleground states, nearly two-thirds of the Republican nominees for the state and federal offices with sway over elections believe the last election was stolen.

This is only getting worse. Last month, a CNN poll found that Republicans are now less likely to believe that democracy is under attack than they were earlier in the year, before the Jan. 6 committee began unveiling its explosive revelations. Thirty-three percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said the party should be very accepting of candidates who say the election was stolen; 39 percent more said the party should be somewhat accepting of those candidates.

Furthermore, a Washington Post-University of Maryland poll published in January found that the percentage of Republicans who say that violence against the government can sometimes be justified had climbed to 40 percent, compared with just 23 percent of Democrats. It should also be noted that 40 percent of white people said that violence could be justified compared with just 18 percent of Black people.

We have to stop saying that all these people are duped and led astray, that they are somehow under the spell of Trump and programmed by Fox News.

Propaganda and disinformation are real and insidious, but I believe that to a large degree, Republicans’ radicalization is willful.

Republicans have searched for multiple election cycles for the right vehicle and packaging for their white nationalism, religious nationalism, nativism, craven capitalism and sexism.

There was a time when they believed that it would need to be packaged in politeness — compassionate conservatism — and the party would eventually recommend a more moderate approach intended to branch out and broaden its appeal — in its autopsy after Mitt Romney’s 2012 loss.

But Trump offered them an alternative, and they took it: Instead of running away from their bigotries, intolerances and oppression, they would run headlong into them. They would unapologetically embrace them.

This, to many Republicans, felt good. They no longer needed to hide. They could live their truths, no matter how reprehensible. They could come out of the closet, wrapped in their cruelty.

But the only way to make this strategy work and viable, since neither party dominates American life, was to back a strategy of minority rule and to disavow democracy.

A Pew Research Center poll found that between 2018 and 2021, Republicans and Republican-leaning independents gradually came to support more voting restrictions.

In a December NPR/Ipsos poll, a majority of Democrats, independents and Republicans all thought that American democracy, and America itself, was in crisis, but no group believed it more than Republicans.

But this is a scenario in which different people look at the same issue from different directions and interpret it differently.

Republicans are the threat to our democracy because their own preferred form of democracy — one that excludes and suppresses, giving Republicans a fighting chance of maintaining control — is in danger.

For modern Republicans, democracy only works — and is only worth it — when and if they win.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/17/opinion/republicans-cheney-trump-democracy.html
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 04:08 pm
@Real Music,
Democratic Republican was the original founding party of the USA.

The Central Banking Party was the next party to be found but was shot down
because it represented what USA was founded to begin with. That the colonists did not owe anything to whatever nation they came from and it was a new nation. See second president.

The Whig party was another party that was made but was too similar to the central banking party.

At some point the original founding party was iconically shorten to being called "Democratic"

The Republican party was founded. The first order of business was freeing the black slaves. The reality when black slaves was freed. The slave owners was not reimbursed. Thus creating another lower class of poverty stricken white people. This wreaked havoc on the US economic social structure so much it caused many issues upon issues. One of which was the US Civil-war.

Even afterwards the idea of equality lingered in the United States. With many problems. Unlike Australia the US did not support integration and many loop holes was created. Equality of voting early on was enforced by federal military but that was eventually considered forcible nature. When that was abandon various mentalities was created that formed many problems.

Carpet Baggers ( aka people who scammed people usually depicted as being devils, salesmans, and so forth ) who got people to join the Republican party fueling it was racist types who believed by legalizing slavery.

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG.

The Republican party is composed of people who do not want to pay their bills
while under the idea of not aiding people to function normal or even be apart of the economy.

Democratics is about paying bills and program creation to aide people into being normal. In order to do so, money has to be spent and printed.

THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH REPUBLICANS OF TODAY.

They are brainwashed into the idea that by ending programs they will eliminate the rap-hip-hop people or anything related to it. They are a bunch of racist cowards. Looking at religion you could say they are racist cowards who could careless about anybody including their own children and are willing to self-destruct.

As with Liberty ( Democratics ) and Blind-Justice ( Republicans ) are problematic towards each other.

A nation that has security does not have freedom. Meaning you attack freedom you attack peoples ability to function.

ARE REPUBLICANS MORONIC. Tons of republicans out there who do not realize they are democrats. They think they are hard working people and Democratics are this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCayG0TjwKg

That is it. There is nothing else.
.........................................................................................................................

The flat fact is that since the days of post Romes the removal of Jews from Christian states was a problem as the Jews was enslaved via the Roman occupation ( etc Christ ). Jews have been blamed for many problems from money-lenders, to coin shaving, and manipulation of nations via assassinations.

.........................................................................................................................

By that problem we are talking about people like the Rothchilds, and other money-lending houses like the red-shield, blue-sword, since the days of the French and British wars. It is the creation of the money-lending system and that caused both nations to owe money to the rich bank of Germany. Leading to many hating Germania. Which led to the excuses of WWI, and even WWII.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 05:23 pm
Republicans are RINO. I long for the days when Republicans were conservative. I didn't like them, but they were necessary for the functioning of a democracy. Now they've become extreme authoritarians who want a one party system. There's no home for Republican moderates and conservatives anymore.
0 Replies