Poll: Happy Memorial Day Weekend and Holiday 2021! Doing anything special for the holiday?

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:38 am
Hi. Happy Memorial Day Weekend and Holiday 2021! Are you folks doing anything special for the holiday?

I am just curious. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:53 am
@JGoldman10,
I'ma plannin' to finish a scrimshaw of the Bayeux Tapestry.

Ow 'bout ewe?
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 09:06 am
@Tryagain,
on what do you scrimshaw??
Ive used pieces of Corian.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 09:59 am
@Tryagain,
I don't think I am doing anything special. I have a lot of housework and other personal business to take care of.

Right now, I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with a damaged printer I ordered off of Ebay a while ago WHICH I got a full refund for.

A mail carrier dropped and damaged it on my porch.

Some people I know suggested I should get it fixed, but I don't know if the nearest local comp shop to where I live can fix it. I am trying to figure out how I can get it over there. It's heavy and I don't have a vehicle. My landlord's assistant can probably help me since he has a truck.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 10:37 am
It’s Whitsuntide, a Christian festival that celebrates the disciples receiving the spirit of Jesus.

That’s what’s celebrated over here. I thought you were supposed to be a Christian yet here you are celebrating secular holidays.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 11:34 am
@farmerman,
Yo Bro, felicitations and lang may yer lum reek.

We were using bone colored opaque modified acrylic (Rowmark) .060 thick. Lazer cut and sprayed with Krylon Fusion Black

Have you tried Micarta? I think its marketed under the name UltreX in Postville, Iowa.

Lately we have been using bones from an old bovine ossuary discovered on the lower mountain slope. Probably left over from an ancient flash flood.

Happy whittling.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:57 pm
@Tryagain,
I have a fun time with all kindsa art.I started in intaglio printing so familiarity with scrimshaw came easily(I have many surface patterning gizmos I made at my home shop to do things like dots etc).I also do small lndscapes in a style of Rockwell Kent prints.

I make my own micarta by slopping glue onto layers nd layers of dungaree clotth. It makes really neat knife handles.
0 Replies

Brackwom

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 10:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
Nothing special, I was chilling Netflix.
0 Replies