A Sad, Pathetic America

nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 09:09 am
As a former sailor, I am deeply saddened about how insignificant the death of soldiers has become in our current day, especially with democrats in charge of the USA. How did America become so corrupt? Answer: BE CAREFUL WHO IS ALLOWED INTO THE UNITED STATES. Remember the fall of the Roman Empire? Same thing is happening across the USA.

You say?

jespah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 09:22 am
@nycdad,
I say you need to look up the following terms in the dictionary:

* Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
* Nonsequitur

And read some Roman history. Try Tacitus or Gibbon. The US is not on the same trajectory.

Oh, and if there aren't enough memorials for the honored war dead going on around you (and you might want to check Google or your local newspaper in case you missed any... oh, and who made you the arbiter of memorials and if we're all sufficiently patriotic?), here's a thought. Make one.

PS you want to know what's going on in Massachusetts, a state chockful of Democrats? The restoration of the memorial to Robert Gould Shaw and the Massachusetts 54th Regiment was completed and unveiled today. That patriotic enough to satisfy you?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 09:25 am
You think that’s bad. My mate’s a Chelsea supporter and it’s the Champion’s League final against Manchester City tonight.

Only he won't be able to see it, he’s a trader and Shepton Flea is on tomorrow at Royal Bath and West showground and he’s selling, so he’ll have to be up at something like two or three in the morning.

And it doesn’t open until half nine. I’ll be going, but I won’t have to get up at at two. I can even fit in Frome first.

He probably won’t know the score, which is a shame because it looks like being quite a tasty match.

Your feelings about America are prompted by your disappointment in Trump losing the presidency and you’re attention seeking.

I’m more interested in the Football.

That’s right, Football.

Tryagain

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 01:18 pm
@jespah,
Dear Jespah, please accept my deepest condolences that you have to live in an area 'chockfull' of Democrats.

I feel your pain as I once had one turn up to clean the pool and had to send the butler out to deal with him, least I was indoctrinated and started to care for humanity.

As for the Massachusetts 54th Regiment, I'ma sorry you lost the battle at Fort Wagner, but as they were only getting half the pay of the white soldiers, I'm not surprised.

When they were recruited, the black soldiers were promised the same pay as white soldiers received: $13 a month, clothing and rations. The War Department paid them only $10, and took $3 out for clothing. The soldiers decided if they could not receive equal pay, they would accept no pay.

They deserve a statue.
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 02:10 pm
@jespah,
No sir. To me, patriotic is Trump.

Trump 2024!!
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 02:11 pm
@Tryagain,
Trump 2024!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 03:52 pm
@nycdad,
Sir? My gynecologist will be very surprised.
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 04:13 pm
@jespah,
Meaning? You actually like the Biden administration, right?
jespah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 04:15 pm
@nycdad,
Have you ever heard of women?
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 04:20 pm
@jespah,
Have you ever heard of menwo?
jespah

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 04:21 pm
@nycdad,
The joke.

You.
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 04:29 pm
@jespah,
Good riddance!!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 04:23 am
Chelsea beat City 1-0 if anyone is interested.
cherrie

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 04:34 am
@izzythepush,
It's a lot more interesting than anything nycdad said.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 05:05 am
@cherrie,
It was a good match.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 05:35 am
@jespah,
We all recall what "honor" Trump bestowed upon Gold Star parents and the statements originating from hi cloaca that he only honored military who werent captured by the enemy. All that wisdom from the comfort of his service free past life.

I see Trump already evidencing symptoms of fronto lobe dementia.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 06:34 am
@jespah,
Do you like the movie Glory?

You know the moment in the movie when the 54th is marching toward Ft Wagner, and the white soldier yells “Give ‘em hell, 54th!”?

I’ve heard that man was the actual screenwriter of the movie!
hightor

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 07:31 am
@snood,
Peter Burchard, the author of the book, One Gallant Rush, on which the movie was based, lived up the road from me when I was a kid; I was friends with his son.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 08:12 am
@snood,
Oh wow, that's neat trivia. I like war pictures. I'm probably one of very few women my age who do (not a big fan of gore, though - Saving Private Ryan was too much for me). Loved Glory. Smile
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 08:24 am
@jespah,
You should give Ryan another look. The Omaha Beach scene at the start is pretty gruesome, but it’s not like that all the way through.

Have you seen the WWII movie Fury, with Brad Pitt as the tank commander? It might be the best war movie I’ve seen.