Expatriation

Magginkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:20 pm
sumac wrote:
My most recent fantasy (of the past several hours) is to sell everything I own and buy an old capped pickup truck, or box truck. Do research on the internet and find an impoverished area of the US that is not too cold and not too hot, and go find an abandoned hovel somewhere. Electricity, phone line for internet, my kerosene heater, the kitties - how much do I need?

Become a hermit. Maybe have to buy a shotgun though.

Hatfields and McCoys???
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:40 pm
sumac, what a novel idea! LOL

I've been a hermit for some years now, love my life, am still working, and will probably drop dead at some obscure work station - the gov keeps raising the retirment age - and who in the heck can afford to retire anymore?

If I sold all of my belongings, bought a Winnebago, and moved to another State, i'd be in the same place I am now - only with no garage
<horrors> and i'd have to sell the Chevy <never> so me and the kittens are staying home.

oh, when I win the lottery? i plan traveling to Italy first, then Alaska. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
I retired and began drawing out of the estate. I didn't like the idea of it shrinking, nor did my Mom, as we wanted to leave money to our heirs. I know, I know, "You Can't Take It With You" (a marvelous play worth seeing by every human being).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
The thing is, I know that sumac isn't joking. Her living conditions are always on the edge of disaster, which is why a government program is vital for people who live in poor states. When the money runs out, it doesn't matter how awful your living conditions are or how disabled you are. Tough. This just isn't right and I get so sick of hearing people who have no compunction about reducing welfare costs say, "Well I worked hard all my life and saved and I was able to make it." Oh, wow, you must be an uber mensch. Never mind that situations can vary wildly and sometimes events come together that erase any savings you might have had, like a perfect storm. I suggest those people don't look too closely or they might start feeling a prick of conscience. Or maybe they are just pricks. I'll probably be banned, but what the hell?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
You make me laugh, you nun gone bad. Prick, prick, prick.

I do agree with you, of course. But that is why I am posting this, as I am serious. I have been looking at the mostly northerly part of Belize (used to be British Honduras) which isn't as grand a place for tourism as the coastal areas, and which is right across the border from a sizable Mexican community for shopping and medical stuff. OR, the northerly part of Mexico, also cheaper than the US, but close enough to the US for necessary stuff. THen I would have to learn Spanish. Belize is English-speaking and you can purchase property. From what I hear, if I had money, I am not allowed to purchase in Mexico. But I have yet to verify that.

Have yet to find out about how to get the kitties into either place.

Mexico would be cooler and less humid. Belize is hot and much more tropical.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:25 am
Diane, finances and health arn't a joke, all the more reason why researching before relocation crucial.

sumac, most states and even Mexico have their own set of concerns regarding real estate, medical care, and the cost of living. Once you've packed your belongings and relocated, there no turning back.

Selling my house and relocating seemed the only option just a few months ago. Long story short, the decision - after considering moving costs, searching for employment, the kittens, etc., adding personal considerations <family and friends> to the list, the "stay" column was more positive than the "move" list.
0 Replies

AnonVoter2

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:10 pm
Re: Expatriation
sumac wrote:
Not sure which forum this should land in.

Not exactly travel, and not exactly culture. Not in any news category.

If a moderator wants to place it elsewhere, I am sure that it will be moved.

It is both a political issue, and a financial issue.

I am not comfortable, and need to stretch my financial resources further.

But to where?

Regrettably Dear Susan, at our age, it takes MORE money to move to another country ... not less. As someone mentioned, they want the young with long lifespans and good health, that will be an "asset" to their country. The only way to convince them you're worthwhile is if you have plenty of money and they figure you will help by your financial status.

BTW, the Scandinavian countrys are really cool most of the year. We did Dec. and Jan.. in Stockholm . BRRRRR !!

Anon
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
It appears that the thread is now unlocked. How weird that they locked it in the first place.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:55 pm
I wondered what was up with that.

Have to agree with Anon on the cost of moving.

Not sure what the procedure would be to expatriate. Wouldn't you have to give up citizenship, become citizen of another country and all that for tax purposes?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:00 pm
I think you can have dual citizenship in Canada and the US. The trouble here is that each state has control over how they use the federal money as well as the state money. Some states are more enlightened than others. I still think moving to another state that is known for its policies toward helping individuals in unfortunate situations, whether disabled, mentally ill, or simply in disatrous financial straights, is worthwhile looking into. I know Connecticut has very decent programs for those who need help. At least look into it sumie. Can't hurt.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:18 pm
No, you don't necessarily have to give up your citizenship. And if there is very little in the way of money, then the tax issue is moot.

Living expenses and those costs need to be considered also, Di. Not just medical stuff. The almighty dollar will go further in certain other geographical locations.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 01:59 pm
You're right, of course. I guess it is a matter of making a decision on what compromises need to be made for the help you need. I still say it is criminal that it has to be so complicated.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:15 pm
There are several places that cater to and desire American retirees - with money or without. Costa Rica has been popular for several years and is now getting a little more expensive to live but places like Panama have attractive benefits.

In Panama, for example, you don't need anything in your bank account - as long as you have a pension or government disability check of at least $500/month coming in that's good enough.

All your income derived form the U.S. is also tax free there and you can buy into their nationalzed healthcare system for under $70/month.

Some regions of Panama still have some problems and aren't recommended for retirees but there are several provinces that are considered "safe". There is a large U.S. and Canadian populatioin down there already.

If things are as you hint at then it may be worth looking into (looking is free! Very Happy ).
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:41 pm
You are right, Fishin'. Costa Rica has become "in" and that drives up prices. Panama is an option. A hot and humid option...but an option.

It all depends on whether I can get my government check out of the country too. Need to research that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
roger wrote:
Finn, that was hilarious, intentional or not.

I'm really not sure how anyone might believe it was anything but intentionally sarcastic, but perhaps that's a mark of quality sarcasm.

In any case Roger, thank you.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
Fishin' brought up some good points about finding countries that do provide sevices for retirees. He mentioned colonies of Americans and Canadians in Costa Rica and Mexico, which would mean you wouldn't feel so alone.

Places like that are certainly worth looking into.
0 Replies