1

I need some advice about dealing with a damaged printer. Please help?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 02:37 am
Hi. I recently ordered a new used printer, an HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi MFP model. It's a color laser all-in-one printer that I ordered from Ebay.

I was sitting in my den using my laptop as I usually do the day it came. My front porch is right outside my den window. I heard footsteps on my porch and a few seconds later I heard a big THUD. I went outside to find out what that noise was. The mail carrier had DROPPED the box the printer was in and to make matters worse he didn't even sit the box the printer was in up correctly. The box clearly set "This Side Up" on it. The following Monday I tried calling my local USPS office to complain about the carrier dropping my printer on my porch but couldn't get anyone on the phone. The same day I called USPS Customer Service line to file a complaint against that carrier dropping my printer on my porch, and it was forwarded to my local USPS branch. I am still waiting to hear back from my local USPS office regarding this. I told the rep from the USPS Customer Service line that the carrier shouldn't be dropping boxes that have delicate pieces of machinery in them on people's porches, and that I hope the carrier didn't damage my machine. A few days later I took the printer out of the box to set it up and discovered the carrier DID damage part of the printer. He damaged part of the ADF cover that goes on top of the printer and the part of the printer on the side of it that is supposed to hold the cover in place.

I contacted the vender on Ebay to let him know what happened, and Ebay customer service about this. I called the USPS Customer Service line back to inform them that the carrier DID damage part of my machine.

USPS Customer Service told me I could file a damage report and an insurance claim through the USPS.

I did get a message from someone from the USPS Office of Consumer Affairs. She said she got my service request and I assume it's about the complaint I made about the carrier dropping and damaging my machine. I called and left a message with her.

I was told I could file an insurance claim through Ebay. I contacted Ebay Customer Service about this.

Ebay Customer Service and the vender were talking about issuing me a refund. I asked the vender if I may keep the extra toner cartridges that he gave me in addition to the printer which weren't originally part of his package deal free of charge.

I would rather get a new printer to replace the model I just got or get a refund.

Should I still file a damage report and an insurance claim through the USPS? How does this work?

What advice can you give about dealing with the USPS and with Ebay?

I was told I can file insurance claims with both the USPS and with Ebay AND file a damage report with the USPS.

The vender said the machine wasn't damaged when he sent it to me. He confirmed the machine WAS fragile.

I bought a Square Trade warranty when I bought the printer. The vender told me he bought insurance for it also, and USPS Customer Service told me the printer was insured by the USPS.

Should I contact Square Trade and let them know what happened with my printer?

Please help. I have never had to deal with any item I ordered off of Ebay that was DAMAGED because a CARRIER dropped it on my porch.

I am sitting up here with a $400-something printer on my desk I can't even use.

Thank you.

Linkat

1  
Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 07:00 am
Me, personally, I would get a refund through ebay. Even though the product was not damaged when he sent it - it is the sellers responsibility to make sure that it gets to you in working condition. I am guessing that the seller stated that the product was in good working order and sold as is? As long as it is clearly stated that the product is in good condition, you should expect to receive it that way. It is not your responsibility or on you to ensure the delivery handles the product correctly - say for instance you were not home and did not hear him drop the product; you would have no way of knowing where, when and how this product was damaged. All you would know is the product arrived and it was not in working condition.

This is most likely why the seller has insurance on it - to protect himself. So you should send it back with a full refund or a replacement - the seller (not that it should matter to you) should get his refund from the insurance. You should not keep the product he sent that is "free" with the purchase since it was part of the whole package deal. Unless of course he sends a replacement instead of refund like you would prefer. Now he may not send that replacement or refund until he receives the returned product but you should once you all agree and follow right the steps to return the product, send everything back that was part of the purchase - otherwise it could nullify the refund.
JGoldman10

0  
Reply Sat 1 May, 2021 12:16 pm
@Linkat,
The Ebay vendor told me that he doesn't want the printer back and for what I understand he said he's willing to give me a full refund if I return the Tony cartridges to him. I messaged him and I'm waiting for him to confirm this.

He said if I want to keep the cartridges that he would deduct the cost of the cartridges from the total amount of money that I spent for the whole package deal.

I I am debating whether or not I should keep the cartridges I'm wondering if it's wise for me to keep them.

I think the vender was kind of dishonest; either that or there was a misunderstanding. I looked at the box the toner cartridges is in and realized there is no black toner cartridge in it. I messaged him on eBay to ask why he didn't include any black ink with the ink that he provided for the printer.

I don't think I really want the cartridges - I want to return them to the vendor, so I messaged the vendor on eBay to ask him how do I go about doing this.

How do I go about doing it this at the post office? Or do you think I should keep the cartridges?

Someone called back from my local post office; he said he did get my complaint about the carrier who delivered my package. He said he reached out to the carrier, and basically said the carrier is saying he doesn't recall dropping the package the printer on my porch. He asked the carrier if something else could have made the loud noise on my porch. The guy at the post office said at the same time without hearing more of the story story from me he can't really go much further. He told the carrier to be mindful of people's packages and mail and he said he understood. He said the carrier claimed that he never slammed anyone's package on the on the ground before and then maybe he dropped his scanner or something else, or something along these lines. The guy at the post said again he told the carrier to be mindful and he agreed. Then the guy at the post office told me hopefully we can take care of this.

I need to get to the guy from the post office. It turns out the carrier DID damage part of my printer. The ADF cover that goes on top of the printer was partially damaged; a piece was broken off of it, and the handle or hinge that is supposed to hold the ADF cover in place was broken off. I have a piece that was broken off the printer but I don't know where it goes. I do have a piece that I know is part of the ADF cover which was broken off of it.

1  
Reply Sat 1 May, 2021 12:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
It’s all go go go with you.