License Plate Covers

gollum

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2021 02:53 pm
I have notices listings for License Plate Covers on Amazon and other websites. I believe that the purpose of such covers is to prevent the police and other governmental agencies from locating and billing a fine to the owner of a vehicle that has violated a law.

Is it legal to sell such covers? Or to operate a website where such covers are offered for sale?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,267 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2021 03:28 pm
@gollum,
Whether it is legal depends on the state if you live in the US. I'm sure websites can sell what they want.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 09:53 am
Over here it’s illegal to drive around with your numberplates obscured. Police would stop any vehicle that went around like that. Criminals are far more likely to have false numberplates than cover them up.

There may well be a legitimate reason for covering up numberplates. If, for example, you’re selling a house and want there to be a car outside the garage for the photograph, but don’t want people to look up your licence details.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 11:07 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I have notices listings for License Plate Covers on Amazon and other websites. I believe that the purpose of such covers is to prevent the police and other governmental agencies from locating and billing a fine to the owner of a vehicle that has violated a law.

A simple Google search would suffice.
License plate frames can be illegal
New York State Police Set To Crack Down On License Plate Alterations, Covers

Quote:
Is it legal to sell such covers? Or to operate a website where such covers are offered for sale?

How much money and time do you think the state of NY is going to spend on such a nonpriority of a legal issue as to

How are they going to enforce state law against websites outside the state and even outside the country?

And all the site has to do is...
1. Put up a disclaimer that people shouldn't use the plate covers where the item is illegal to use;
OR
2. Make a claim that this plate cover isn't a plate cover but... say ... a work of art to nail to your living room wall and they can't do anything about the buyers who end up using the item to cover their license plates.

You live in NY state. It's almost guaranteed that you've seen smoke shops sell drug paraphernalia (that would otherwise be illegal to sell - prelegal pot days) but they end up allowed to sell these glass pipes by calling them works of glass art.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 11:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There may well be a legitimate reason for covering up numberplates. If, for example, you’re selling a house and want there to be a car outside the garage for the photograph, but don’t want people to look up your licence details.

You can always smudge out the license plate details in Photoshop or even MS Paint before you put those photos up online.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
You can, but having a cover is easier, especially if you’re not computer literate.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 11:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Cannabis is still illegal over here but there’s no problem selling drug paraphernalia or cannabis seeds.

There’s a shop in Glastonbury dedicated to selling legal cannabis products.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 05:36 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan-

Thank you.
0 Replies