Willy Wonka question

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
Haven't really been following, but last evening watched some show re the making of....

Do y'all think Johnny Depp is basing his character on Michael Jackson?

The original WW w/ Gene Wilder creeped me out when I was a kid, and I was expecting between Tim Burton and Johnny Depp I could enjoy some real fun on the edge of depravity movie watching.

This preview show really sucked, and the WW character was, well, underwhelming.

When I first heard Depp was using Keith Richards as a model for Capt. Jack Sparrow, I couldn't feature it. But within 10 seconds of Johnny staggering/swaggering off his ship, I was rolling Laughing Laughing

So, what's your take?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
I dunno. I just finished reading the book to my kids last week and really want to take them to see this film. Especially since I hear they based it on the book and not on the previous film.

I haven't seen any previews though, so I won't have an opinion until we get to go see it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
Oh....no.

I am a HUGE Johnny Depp/Tim Burton fan.

If it's bad, I'll be sad. SAD.

Depp is supposed to be a bit creepy/scary/unpredictable. The book (like a lot of Dahl's) is edgy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
Well, in fairness, it wasn't as if I felt he was going to ask the kids to have a sleepover.

It's just that he's pasty faced, soft high voice and odd mannerisms and expressions.

Oh god, and his teeth! They WERE creepy!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:22 pm
Interesting, maybe he did base his interpretation on MJ. It's not too far fetched.

Except that the real WW wasn't so in love with children.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:33 pm
Lash wrote:
Oh....no.

I am a HUGE Johnny Depp/Tim Burton fan.

If it's bad, I'll be sad. SAD.

Depp is supposed to be a bit creepy/scary/unpredictable. The book (like a lot of Dahl's) is edgy.

Maybe I'm just jaded by all the animal sacrifices I've been having lately. Twisted Evil

When the rains come, all of the cats in the neighborhood will again be safe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:50 pm
It could be. I think Depp was using Keith Richards mannerism as opposed to playing Keith Richards himself. I mean Depp was still a pirate and not a rock star. He could be using Jackson's mannerisms, but without being a child molester.

It would be interesting to hear an interview with him though and if he states he modeled himself after some one else.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:52 pm
i was thinking the same thing... i just dont think its going to be as dark as everyone is hoping. I have such high hopes though... i just dont see it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:56 pm
Those teeth are funny.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 03:00 pm
Curious about this I looked up and found the following interview question posed to Depp:

There's lots of suspicious talk going on that you're really doing Michael Jackson more than Willie Wonka.

JD: It actually never crossed my mind, oddly enough. I mean, Michael Jackson wasn't a sort of ingredient or inspiration for the character at all. I guess that I can on some level understand it. There's sort of the look, a little bit. But Roald Dahl wrote this in 1964. And Michael Jackson was a wee lad then. So I don't think that [Dahl] was inspired by him either.

http://www.longislandpress.com/?cp=142&show=article&a_id=4853
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Interesting, maybe he did base his interpretation on MJ. It's not too far fetched.

Except that the real WW wasn't so in love with children.

Too many girls in the story..
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 03:18 pm
I'll go just to be entertained, at least the first time.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm
I heard that he based his performance on Marilyn Manson
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:21 pm
I saw the movie last night.

Willy Wonka is part Mr. Rogers, part Jack McFarland (Sean Hayes) of Will & Grace, and a dash of Michael Jackson.

Deep Roy as the entirety of the Oompa Loompas is pretty funny, but the songs generally are forgettable; some of them are downright irritating.

All in all, the movie was ok. My four year old daughter said she liked it. He favorite parts were when Willy Wonka bumped into the glass elevator twice.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:54 am
well it might turn into a not see to for me... im excited about seeing wdding crashers tonight
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
thiefoflight wrote:
I heard that he based his performance on Marilyn Manson

Yeah! Now that I think of it, he DID remind me more of Marilyn Manson than MJ.

Did anyone else hear this? Linkat? Come across that in your research?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:06 am
It won't be the same...no one can be Willie Wonka except Gene Wilder. No one. And I love Johnny Depp....hot hot hot hot hot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:12 am
I agree Bella. I will have to see this as my daughter has been dying to see it. But I so loved the original. I will probably take her to see the Depp version and later rent the Wilder one to see which she prefers.

Chai - I did not see any reference to Manson, but then again, I did not really look for it. I do remember reading about some one else commenting about the same thing though.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:14 am
i just bought the orginal... i watched and it brought back so many memories... it was weird... but like you guys i did love the orginal... though many people think it was the worst film Gene Wilder ever did
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:24 am
Though I love Gene Wilder (especially in Blazing Saddles), I didn't really care for his portrayal of WW. I think Depp is just strange enough to do it.

Another thing, in the original movie, grandpa didn't look as old and as starving as the book says he is. I hope they get it closer in this one.
0 Replies