How stupid is Trump?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 06:30 am
A New List of Crazy **** Trump Did, According to Fiona Hill

Abigail Weinberg

https://www.motherjones.com/mojo-wire/2022/04/trump-fiona-hill-russia-ukraine-wind-turkish-prisons-secretary/

Trump being normal with other world leaders.Michael Kappeler/DPA/Zuma
Facts matter: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter. Support our nonprofit reporting. Subscribe to our print magazine.

Last weekend, we were graced with a whole new batch of foibles of the Trump administration, this time from the perspective of onetime adviser Fiona Hill and couched in a New York Times Magazine article titled “This Was Trump Pulling a Putin.”

You might remember Hill’s emergence on the national scene during the first impeachment of former President Donald Trump. An expert on Russia, she had worked under both George W. Bush and Barack Obama, and testified on Trump’s plan to use foreign policy to try to get dirt on his political opponents (namely, the Bidens).

A good chunk of Draper’s story is about how Hill believes January 6 was presaged by Trump’s policies toward Putin. It recounts Hill’s belief that not only Trump’s but Bush’s and Obama’s policies toward Putin set the stage for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

I have my doubts on these fronts, which seem both Trump and US-centric. Still, it’s worth reading Draper’s piece to get a glimpse at just how ridiculous former President Trump’s dealings with Vladimir Putin actually were—and all the other wacky **** Hill says she witnessed during Trump’s tenure.

A few choice tidbits, all according to Hill:

Upon meeting Hill for the first time, she says Trump mistook her for a secretary (she was the senior director for European and Russian affairs on the National Security Council) and “became angry that she did not immediately agree to retype a news release for him.”

Trump informed Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan that most Americans’ idea of Turkey comes from the prisons in Midnight Express: “Bad image—you need to make a different film.”

Trump would ask to send magazine articles to the likes of Erdogan and French president Emmanuel Macron if the stories included flattering pictures of the leaders. Often, the text of the article was anything but. That didn’t matter: Trump wanted to make sure that his peers on the world stage knew when they were “looking strong.”

In a conversation with former German chancellor Angela Merkel, Trump referred to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) as “Senator Pocahontas.” Merkel was aghast.

Trump did his shtick about hating windmills—to the prime minister of Norway.

Trump didn’t see why Crimea shouldn’t be a part of Russia. They speak Russian there, after all.

A lot of the wild things that happened during the Trump administration do not get much attention because many find the discussion of the Russia investigation, and connections with Russia, overplayed and boring. I get it. But sometimes that means you miss out on Trump telling a Turkish president to make a movie.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2022 09:05 am
Opinion: Will Trump’s base ever turn on him? Look to Ohio.

By Gary Abernathy
Contributing columnist
Today at 8:00 a.m. EDT
Listen to article
4 min

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/22/will-trumps-base-ever-turn-him-look-ohio/

People who cannot fathom the depth of loyalty to Donald Trump often ask, “Is there anything Trump could do that would cause his base to abandon him?”

It has been tough to think of anything. Most of the scandals of his presidency were shrugged off by supporters, including me, as media bias and lasting bitterness over a shocking 2016 election result. While his unfiltered persona was often frustrating, I never considered abandoning him until he refused to accept defeat and instigated an attack on the U.S. Capitol to disrupt a constitutional count of electoral votes. But even that didn’t do the trick for most of his devotees.

Though outside forces have worked tirelessly to topple him, the biggest threat to Trump has always been Trump. An example emerged last week, when he endorsed “Hillbilly Elegy” author J.D. Vance in the GOP primary for the open Senate seat in Ohio. Other leading candidates, such as former state treasurer Josh Mandel, former state Republican Party chair Jane Timken and wealthy businessman Mike Gibbons, have aggressively sought Trump’s blessing, and when reports first circulated that Trump would endorse Vance — who had criticized Trump multiple times in 2016 and 2017 — disbelief and panic ensued among many of the state’s Republicans.

A letter to Trump eventually signed by more than 40 county party chairs and state GOP committee members was hurriedly composed, pointing out Vance’s past criticisms of Trump and his lack of history in Republican politics. Endorsing Vance, the signatories warned Trump, “cuts against your support and legacy in Ohio.”

Not everyone agreed with asking Trump to stay quiet. For example, Paulette Donley, GOP chair in Highland County in southwest Ohio, declined to sign the letter — not because she supports Vance, she told me, but because Trump has had “an uncanny sense of picking winners and losers.” Still, Donley acknowledged, “it might hurt him.”

Tom Zawistowski, the well-known leader of an Ohio tea party group who has endorsed Gibbons, was pointed in his criticism, saying conservatives “do not accept this endorsement.” He added, “Mr. President, you claim you won Ohio twice but let me be clear. You didn’t win Ohio. We the people worked our asses off and elected you twice.”

So fierce was the backlash from some Republicans that Trump reportedly delayed the endorsement, initially planned for Thursday last week. Trump phoned at least one other contender that evening to discuss the pushback, leaving the impression that he was reconsidering, a source close to the candidate told me. But late on Good Friday — after ignoring further pleas — he announced his backing of Vance.

Theories abound as to how Vance won the nod despite his previous attacks on Trump and poor performance in recent polls. Donald Trump Jr., who has long been in Vance’s corner, argued this week that his father picked Vance after a debate confrontation between Mandel and Gibbons nearly got physical.

The implication that the famously combative former president was offended seems improbable. A more likely explanation is the involvement of venture capitalist Peter Thiel, a Trump supporter who the New York Times reported in February is spending millions “backing 16 Senate and House candidates, many of whom have embraced the lie that Mr. Trump won the election.” One of those candidates is Vance, who worked for Thiel before opening his own Ohio-based investment fund. After Trump’s endorsement, Thiel dumped another $3.5 million — on top of a $10 million initial donation — into a PAC supporting Vance, and Trump Jr. made a beeline for Ohio to campaign with him.

As this week wore on and the May 3 primary approached, anger was giving way to desperation among the other candidates. Mandel and Gibbons have been leading most polls, and the Club for Growth, a PAC supporting Mandel, was doubling down on ads reminding voters of Vance’s past disparagements of Trump.

Everyone has long known that Trump’s endorsement could make the difference, and watching such a late, important nod go to Vance angers the other campaigns more than if it had gone to a different competitor. Many Republicans don’t buy Vance’s claims to have had a change of heart about Trump. They see him as an opportunist pandering for votes, and Trump falling for it. They also see Ohio’s Senate seat being bought by Thiel, a California billionaire, with Trump’s help.

Trump is holding a rally in Ohio on Saturday, with Vance now added to the program. Maybe all will be forgiven, with the crowd welcoming Vance as the new Trumpian standard-bearer. Or perhaps the reaction will be lukewarm, or even hostile — finally providing an affirmative answer to the eternal question of whether there’s anything Trump can do to alienate his base.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 04:32 am
Trump said he took a cognitive test because he didn't 'like being called stupid'

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 06:14 am
@hightor,

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 03:09 pm
Trump has been found in contempt of court for failing to provide relevant documents on time.

Justice Arthur Engaron has fined Trump $10,000 a day until they are provided.
Mame

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 04:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Somehow, I doubt they'll get their money or the documents. They may be in someone's toilet and he'll declare bankruptcy or something.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 05:15 pm
@Mame,
The court can and will get its money. When they start pulling shenanigans, the court will start locking people up.

The Orange Shitgibbon is running out of wiggle room.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 05:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

The court can and will get its money. When they start pulling shenanigans, the court will start locking people up.

The Orange Shitgibbon is running out of wiggle room.

I just can’t imagine them locking Trump up for contempt, or defaulting on fine payments.

Maybe I just lack imagination…
Mame

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 06:01 pm
@snood,
No, I'm with you on this, snood. I can't imagine them ever getting him for any of the vile things he has done.

Won't happen.

If it does, I'll eat someone's hat.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 06:15 pm
@Mame,
And if the hat’s too big I’ll gladly eat half.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 06:16 pm
TFG's $10,000-a-day fine for ignoring subpoena kicks in -NY judge
NEW YORK (Reuters) -Former President Donald Trump must pay a fine of $10,000 per day starting on Tuesday until he complies with a subpoena to hand over material about his business practices to New York's attorney general, a New York judge said, adding that the clock was ticking on completing the probe.

The state judge, Arthur Engoron, on Monday held Trump in civil contempt for "repeated failures" to hand over materials to Attorney General Letitia James for a civil investigation launched three years ago into the whether the Trump Organization improperly valued assets to obtain financial benefits.

In a written ruling, Engoron wrote that James' office had "satisfied its burden of demonstrating that Mr. Trump willfully disobeyed a lawful court order" and said Trump must pay $10,000 per day, beginning on Tuesday, until he complies.

Engoron said more delays could prevent the attorney general's office from taking action against Trump or the Trump Organization. James has said the probe already turned up evidence that assets including golf clubs and a penthouse apartment were improperly valued.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trumps-dollar10000-a-day-fine-for-ignoring-subpoena-kicks-in-ny-judge/ar-AAWCVWH
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 06:25 pm
@snood,
Surely someone out there has thought of making money selling edible hats?
snood

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 06:33 pm
@Yalow,
Yalow wrote:

Surely someone out there has thought of making money selling edible hats?

Maybe, but winning bets is just more fun if the loser has to choke down several ounces of wool and suede and such.😀
Mame

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 10:43 pm
@snood,
Not to mention fake flowers, jewels, and the like Smile I'd gladly fly to your hometown, snood, to decide which one to choke down
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 12:57 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

winning bets is just more fun if the loser has to choke down several ounces of ..... suede

Not the band.
Hagbard Celine

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 02:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Please use this thread to document the many instances of Trump’s stupidity and that of his supporters over the next few months. They will be legion.

I think that is the important question. If Trump is that stupid, how stupid must those be who support him.
Latest example: Marjory Taylor Green. She thinks that not remembering how she was involved with the insurrection makes her electable. Why should anyone vote for her (or even put her up for election) when she displays all symptoms of severe dementia?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

snood wrote:

winning bets is just more fun if the loser has to choke down several ounces of ..... suede

Not the band.

Oh, most definitely the band. With no chaser.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 06:08 am
@snood,
Any animal nitrate?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:18 am
Major twist in the perspective here: my passionate hope is Trump will be incarcerated. That whole discussion is not my point here.

What about our individual responsibilities having been part of an electorate and society that elected such a person in the first place?What is the remedy and course of corrective actions for preventing that from ever happening again and all of this gerrymandering and legislative maneuvering and illegality. That must be paid serious attention.
snood

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:40 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Major twist in the perspective here: my passionate hope is Trump will be incarcerated. That whole discussion is not my point here.

What a bout being part of an electorate and society that elects such a person? What is the remedy for preventing that from ever happening again and all of this gerrymandering and legislative maneuvering and illegality. That must be paid serious attention.

As far as “an electorate and society that elects such a person” goes…

I think the people who vote for the Trumps and Palins and Marjorie Taylor Greens of the world are people whose values and beliefs are twisted beyond salvaging. Just for perspective - In my opinion they are cut from the same cloth as the confederates who swore their fealty to an ideology that held that non-white people had no rights that white people were bound to acknowledge.

They are not to be won over, or persuaded, or debated at all. They are only to be defeated. Repeatedly - every time they run. And, if liberal democracy is ever going to thrive, hopefully one day they’ll be defeated completely.