How stupid is Trump?

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2023 12:04 pm
This is doing the twitter rounds, but I remember it from a few years back, maybe even from A2K

Quote:
A British writer penned the best description of Donald Trump I’ve ever read:

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?”

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of ****. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?' If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.”

-Nate White
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2023 03:37 pm

https://iili.io/J9wwzbf.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2023 03:11 pm
I have to say that Trump is remarkable in his ability to stand up to all of his looming legal difficulties. I keep on looking for a psychotic break, which hasn't happened yet , but it's still early in the game.

Of course all of Trump's difficulties were self-induced and could have easily been avoided. I guess you have to ask why he does this. Why does he bring all this on himself for no obvious reason?

He could have just easily accepted the reality that he lost the election and waited four years. He'd be in the same place he is now without having to face multiple felonies for his crimes in Georgia and for January 6th. And there was no reason at all to hold on to classified documents that I can see other than sheer ego or something else so dangerous that I don't even want to contemplate it.

I guess we will see how well he holds up in court and imprisonment should he be convicted. I still will always wonder why he caused all this to himself.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2023 01:04 am
@coluber2001,
He's got away with stuff like this for so long that he probably thinks he can get away with anything.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2023 12:15 pm

Maga is still functioning and has great power in US politics, and Trump is the embodiment, the strong man of Maga. The question is once the strong man, the center that holds together a fascist party, is gone, that is, either Trump is in prison or he dies, then what happens to the Maga party? Does somebody else replace him? Is there even anybody else that can have the strange hold on Americans that Trump has.

Could Hitler have been replaced? There is the problem of succession in authoritarian countries. In Democracies succession is determined by elections, but elections don't count in authoritarian countries. For instance, when Putin is gone, who succeeds Putin? Russia has elections, but they are meaningless because Putin has the power to control them, so once Putin is gone who replaces him?

Trump claims the same power to control elections by saying that it's impossible for him to lose, and though there is a large segment of Maga who who believes that, he really doesn't have the power to back it up. Should he win the 2024 election, he will be emboldened to seek that power.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2023 07:34 am
@coluber2001,
Whoever controls the army.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2023 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
The Armed Forces seem determined not to get involved in civil affairs or politics in general. We have strong laws limiting regular forces getting involved in local to-do's. State controlled National Guard is most likely to get involved.

It's going to take a lot more than a Trump-like figure to declare themselves a dictator. He'd have to have the support of state and local police and political parties, and the support of regular armed forces. Not to easy for a madman to accomplish by just charisma with at most 30% of the population.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2023 12:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I was answering Coluber's question about Putin's likely successor.

I wasn't implying anything about America's, (or any other country's,) military.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2023 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Interestingly enough, it speaks in some degree to Putin and Russia, also.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2023 02:39 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/21/20/9d21207d8a859144fd72a2f36fe85b99.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2023 06:27 pm
@coluber2001,
"The Clash" was already taken. Dammit.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2023 07:34 am
https://i.postimg.cc/RZ8L630q/IMG-8702.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2023 09:05 am
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiK4uDoPM_xNy-7q36DXNTRNfXuZD6eUjgql1KE0ejhQWltBE6aZQZ-jgoVaqMZrjwtMxUsKHO1iVpkAeK5s2TRxyDa62bH8zbCfTmBEBUSYXK_wMlj0A-ddZqyUw02z4J9adUW5yOC8ZicJ2trRBIAILCOAvGv_6jdndrGcvgo6vOgfRjcfSuPOGqZXwI/s16000/F6AaAE_WkAAYFiN.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2023 11:46 am
Imagine Trump being convicted and agreeing to be sentenced to a long stay in a mental hospital for study and treatment in lieu of prison.

Think of the implications of this, not just political implications, but the benefit to the psychiatric profession and the edification and education of the public.

Never before has something like this occurred in history: a strong, potentially dangerous political demagogue and narcissist being studied by psychiatrists with no time constraints and the filming, recording and presenting of an in-depth psychological analysis of a malignant narcissist.

It wouldn't be presented as entertainment, but edited, narrated and presented as a case study about a malignant narcissist. It would not only save the country, but it would educate people to an extent that they could never be educated otherwise.

Imagine taking someone, a seemingly hopeless case, a person showing little or no signs of humanity and piece by piece unraveling the psychopathy of his narcissism gradually revealing the human, the hurt that has been buried, encysted, and relegated to a dark isolated place deep inside away from consciousness. If they could rehabilitate Donald Trump, bring him back to humanity instead of punishing him, what a boon that would be to the society of man. And it may be the single positive contribution of this malignant, infectious being's life.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2023 03:12 pm
@coluber2001,
That will not happen. He's not crazy enough to be that crazy. He most of all doesn't want to go to jail. Secondly he does want to seem less than strong.

A mental facility that he'd need put into as an alternative to criminal incarceration would be a high security kind of place with a lot of locks.

Remember he has a world class brain and education.

He'll hand deliver Ivanka to the train to be under to stay out of jail.

I bet Butthead Jr and Eric have a clue for what they're up against once TFG gets his. They will get their turn in the barrel.
Builder

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2023 02:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Probably the most rational post you've shared.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2023 03:32 am
Quote:
While speaking at the D.C. Pray Vote Stand Summit in Washington, D.C. on Friday night, Donald Trump launched into a vitriolic, and mistake-laden, anti-President Biden speech. He told the crowd, “We have a man who is totally corrupt and the worst president in the history of our country, who is cognitively impaired … we would be in World War 2 very quickly if we’re going to be relying on this man.”

thewrap
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2023 04:36 am
@hightor,
On September 2, 1945, the Second World War came to an end. (On May 8, 1945, Germany surrendered.)

Ah, yes, "cognitively impaired".

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2023 10:14 am

another loser who doesn't pay his bills...

Giuliani’s former attorneys sue him for more than $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees
(cnn)
0 Replies