Minimum advance notice to landlord?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:45 pm
Give as much time as you possibly can. Aside from any legal tangles which may come along under other circumstances, you should think long term. What if something happens to your current plans and after you have moved out the place is hit with a disaster of some sort and you are forced to look for a quick rental somewhere until the insurance money arrives? You would most likely enjoy the ability of getting your former landlord to supply good references.

Now all that being said I did once sneak away in the dead of night.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Give as much time as you possibly can. Aside from any legal tangles which may come along under other circumstances, you should think long term. What if something happens to your current plans and after you have moved out the place is hit with a disaster of some sort and you are forced to look for a quick rental somewhere until the insurance money arrives? You would most likely enjoy the ability of getting your former landlord to supply good references..

Umm...what if I get struck by lightning tonight? The chance of the place getting trashed by a disaster is pretty remote, it's not on water nor do we get big hurricanes/earthquakes. The fact I'll own something with instant equity(which will allow me to look into buying a 2nd property), and after rental income I'll be paying less than I am now far outweighs your "what if" factor.

Thanks Soz!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:27 pm
Happy for Slappy...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:33 pm
Wow, that was fast. Congratulations, ya dirty-ass bastard.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:40 pm
Here's a toast you YOU, Slappy! I couldn't be happier for you! That is very awesome and you truly deserve the good fortune! Very Happy

You'll have to post a few pics once you get some!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:44 pm
If you're looking for a roommate, Slappy, I could probably move in with you. But no funny stuff -- stay on your side of the bed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
Boy, then there'd be some hot times in Medford...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
Slappy - congrats! Medford is ok for on-street parking so long as you're not planning on parking on Cedar street (mutter mutter). I have to say, though, Medford has to be one of the most harrowing places to drive through - it's on my commute, so look out!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:38 pm
Gus, I'll let you move in. Maybe we can work something out in exchange for the rent, knowhaddum'sayinknowhaddum'sayin?

Harrowing places to drive? I grew up in Lynn. Actually it's going to suck for me, considering 99% of my sales appointments are either south or west of Boston, so I'll have to cut through Boston. And parking on the street in the winter...I'll just not think about that now.

Hey! I know what Littlek drives...I can throw some mad eggs at you as you roll by.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:25 pm
You have a "tenancy at will." Mass. landlord/tenant law requires 30 notice on these month-to-month tenancies. Here is some helpful advice from the handbook, "Legal Tactics: Tenants' Rights in Massachusetts":

Quote:
The law requires tenants at will to give landlords written notice that they are moving out at least one full rental period or 30 days (whichever is longer) before moving. This time period starts to run from the time your landlord receives the notice, not from the time you send it. Thus, if you pay your rent on the first of every month and you want to leave by April 1, your landlord must receive your notice before the end of February. February 28 is OK, but March 1 is not.) Make sure that you leave enough time for delivery of the notice. Mail it first-class.

To be safe, it is also a good idea to deliver the notice yourself. Otherwise, there could be a question of whether the landlord received the notice. If you are worried that your landlord may say she didn't get it, send the notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, and firstclass mail, and keep a copy for yourself. Never attempt to verbally end (terminate)
your tenancy. Your notice must be in writing. To follow the law, you should use the following words in your notice:

You are hereby notified that I shall quit and deliver
up at the end of the next month of my tenancy on
[put the last day of the rental period],
beginning after this notice, the premises now held by
me as your tenant, namely
[your name and address of apartment].
[Your Signature]

If you give proper notice, you may move out with no further obligations to a landlord. If you do not terminate your tenancy properly, you may be held responsible for additional rent.

Note: If you have to leave in the middle of the month, you cannot simply give notice that you plan to move out in the middle of a rental period and pay half a month's rent.

Link.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:53 pm
pfdfffft, if you throw eggs at every silver honda civic driving through Mefud there'll soon be no more eggs to be had in all of the greater Boston.
0 Replies