Minimum advance notice to landlord?

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:05 pm
What's the typical minimum number of days notice you should give your landlord when you're going to move out?

I live in an apartment with no lease, just pay month to month. I'm going to be buying a condo or house, hopefully going searching as soon as this weekend. Mortgage all set, bookmarked some properties, and got a family member who's a realtor to take me out, so I'm ready to rock. I may find something right off the bat, or it may take some time...so just wondering if I did find something right away if 30 days is too short a time? I know some people wouldn't care, but I'd hate to screw someone over.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,467 • Replies: 30
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:07 pm
You didn't sign a lease at all? Even most month to month leases have some sort of contract.

If it isn't specified I'd say 30 days is a good number.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:08 pm
Yeah, that's what would make the most sense to me.

Good luck with the house/ condo thing!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:09 pm
Thanks, that what I figured.

And no lease at all. Just got a letter from her stating she's raising the rent, and a "lease may be entered if desired." Uh, nope, not desired, thanks for asking.

She doesn't even know who lives here, except for one of our names. I've met her once in over 2 years.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:10 pm
can you ask your landlord with out getting him upset, about how much time he would want before you moved?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
can you ask your landlord with out getting him upset, about how much time he would want before you moved?

I could do that. I was thinking of calling and telling them we may be moving out soon.

Then again, I don't know if my current roomates are going to move in with me anyway...either way I'm getting roomates to help pay my mortgage. I'm sure they will since they'll either have to move or find someone to replace me, which may be hard since our rent is pretty expensive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:17 pm
Was there any kind of deposit on the apt?
If so then that can impose problems.
If NOT then i would say 30 days is MORE then enough on a month to month type rental....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:30 pm
Yes, I'm pretty sure there's a security deposit, plus last month's rent.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
Thirty days is just about right.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
then you may want to give 2 months notice.
Not for any LEGAL reasons.. but, if as you say, your roomates may not be moving with you, you may need to work out getting a part of the deposit back ( if that is an option), giving your roomates time to re-write the lease with someone new.. etc..etc...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:42 pm
Well, figure I'm going to play it by ear, and give at least 30 days. I'm just thinking what IF I find a place this weekend I want, that leaves a month and a half for 9/1 move-in. I'm not necessarily impulsive, I've been wanting to buy for a while, browsed online, narrowed down to 2 or 3 towns...but when I want to do something I generally move on purchases quickly instead of hem-hawing over it.

Ok, question: how does the closing process work, as far as, how much time does it usually take or could I delay moving into a place once purchase agreement is reached? Is it typically 1 month?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:19 pm
The escrow period you speak of (the time it takes from the seller accepting your offer to purchase and your move in date) is usually negotiated between the buyer and the seller. I have seen them as short as two weeks and as long as three months or longer. A lot of the sellers decision to negotiate a shorter or longer escrow period depends on if they have a place they are anxious to move into or are, let's say, waiting for a new home to be built and maybe finished in 3 months time.

If everything is set for you, financing is pre-arranged and approved, I would ask for a shorter escrow period and that way, if they accept, you can get on with the move posthaste.

Congratulations to you, Slappy! Your first home! I'm really excited for you! Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:32 pm
Thanks! Figure if I'm going to go and overextend myself on something, may as well be something that will make me some money in a couple of years. Real estate prices here SUCK.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Sucks is probably saying it nicely too! I know what you mean though. I just moved away from California for that very reason. Seems like either coast has just gone mad. Sad

You're very smart to get into something now. This "bubble effect" that all the experts talk about just isn't happening. Hasn't been happening for the couple of years they've been talking about it in fact.

What is it you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
I'm a male whore.

Actually I'm in outside sales for a software company.

As far as the bubble bursting, I don't see it happening here unless we went into a recession. But my step brother/realtor was telling me per town there's a lot more homes for sale on average than there was a year or two ago, which is a sign of prices dropping. Who knows.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:06 pm
I would say nothing till you have the deal nailed down, with a definate moving date. Landlord, in the absence of a contract, may just give you the boot when someone with money and a lease look about them shows up.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:28 pm
Found it...buying it. Sweeet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Details!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:37 pm
Medford, on Somerville line(less than 5 miles from downtown Boston), 1794 sq foot condo, 4 or 5 bedroom, all renovated with new appliances+bathroom(and I'm adding a 2nd bathroom), 2nd floor of 3 family. Nice place.

My family member is the realtor, his boss/owner of realtor co. bought the building to split into condos and had every other unit sold, and wanted to sell this asap so the building would be done. Was only on the market for a few days, and he knocked about $40K off the price...I could flip it and sell it for immediate $$, but I'm going to move in.

Downfall: parking only on street, and I'm going to have to find at least one stranger for a roomate, haven't decided if I'm going to have 2 or 3 roomates. One of my current roomates isn't sure if he's going to move with me or not. I don't care though, $$ is blinding my roomate worries.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Sounds good, Slappy, congrats!
0 Replies