indy films

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:19 am
looks good to me Smile thanks light
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:24 pm
I don't like going off topic, but it seems somewhat a propos. I just saw Bergman's "final" film "Saraband". The subtitles were in yellow. What a pleasure. They were not distracting and were easily readable regardless of the background. L.W., you should know; is there some reason that this is not the standard?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:02 pm
I'm with you about subtitles -- they should put more thought into them, but then it's probably the same thought put into dubbing where they mis-translate. I've cited this before but the old VOOM satellite broadcasted "Fellini's Roma" with dubbing and subtitles at the same time. They were so mismatched most of the time that it was annoying. When a newer films is letterboxed, the subtitles are usually in the black area at the bottom and that seems to work well. "Indochine" was one of them, perhaps "Ran" was another.

I believe I liked the subtitles in "Woman in the Dunes" but I'd have to pop the DVD into the player to remember just how they did it.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:15 pm
Here are a few I've really liked
American Splendor
Lost in Translation
The Saddest Music in the World
The American Astronaut
Bubba Ho-Tep
Pieces of April
Dummy
0 Replies