Does life have no meaning without religion?

Badboy

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:10 am
Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,640 • Replies: 33
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
Thoughts = yes.

Answer to your question = no.

I've never had religion in my life and I like to think my life is pretty meaningful. Happy, even.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
It seems to me, that if you read the news, religion has brought a lot of meaning to people.............................death, destruction, terrorism, subjugation of women, control over young children by pedophiles. All in all, religion has had quite an effect on peoples' lives! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
What do you mean by 'meaning'? Do you mean purpose, or goal?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:21 pm
BB, there are those who'd tell you that ultimately, life has no meaning without God (God is not = "religion"). What do you yourself think? Are you finding that life limited to only what the world offers is rather insipid? Or what motivated that question? Very Happy
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
If you mean an inherent purpose, then probably no.

If you mean meaning as in importance, then I would say that the importance of life is independent of religion.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:09 am
With Ray on this.

The importance of life stems from the perceived importance of life of the experiencer.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 05:44 am
I do not place the value or meaning of my life within the realms and reigning in of religion and its assorted limitations. If you ask instead of religion about some sort of spiritual contact or belief then I will have an entirely different range of thought. Without my spiritual existence then I cease to function beyond the basics since feeling would then cease to exist for me. Religion is a rather queer thing. I was raised Maniacal Methodist and had the opportunity to visit other Churches as a child which gave me a broader view of life and restrictions. What I walked away with was the knowledge that all religions as such can be guidemaps towards a connection between a human being and their soul and the Divine Power which they figure had a major part in the creation of the Universe. Keep in mind however that guidemaps are also given out freely to those who profess no religious ties.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 06:21 am
I am an atheist, and my life has meaning to me.
0 Replies

onben

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:52 am
someone told me that people without religions are barbarian.

Religions are somehow necessary for cultures, but I believe in science.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 09:32 pm
onben wrote:
someone told me that people without religions are barbarian. .

The Brownshirt barbarians were HIGHLY religious, onben. But it was pure Paganism.

onben wrote:
Religions are somehow necessary for cultures, but I believe in science.

I believe in science, too, onben----when it doesn't presume to judge beyond its purview, in other words, when it sticks to the empirical realm. As soon as it starts horning into topics like origins or whether or not the universe is a closed system, then it ceases to be "science," and becomes "scientism" (a pseudo-metaphysics).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:57 pm
Here is what ultimately happens when you depend on other people for meaning in your life:

http://www.epochtimes.com/i3/2003-2-20-628-pic06.jpg
"Aschenblume" by Anselm Kiefer. A deconstruction of an Albert Speer-designed hall. Installed in the Museum of Modern Art. Ft. Worth, TX.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:03 pm
Is life meaningful without philosophy, art, and science? In their absence we have barbarism, with or without religion.
-edited: "with" changed to "without."
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:09 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Here is what ultimately happens when you depend on other people for meaning in your life:

"Aschenblume".... Ash flower.....Hmmnnn, interesting word; very a propos of what happened to a whole nation when they followed after a false Messiah. The flower of civilization, Germany, turned to cinders.

But that aside, Coluber: please elaborate on what you mean. (I myself agree that depending on other people for meaning in your life is ultimately futile and disappointing; God is the only one.)
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:21 pm
Does life have no meaning without religion?
Religion is dependant upon life; while life, in my understanding, is not dependant upon religion, without life, there would be no religion.

Life has no meaning, if it does, someone can tell me what it means.

Just because all words have meaning, doesn't mean that what the word means, has to mean anything. Do you know what I mean?

I would rephrase the question to, "Does life still have no meaning without religion".
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:26 pm
Re: Does life have no meaning without religion?
puffthemajicdragonallday wrote:
Religion is dependant upon life; while life, in my understanding, is not dependant upon religion, without life, there would be no religion.

Life has no meaning, if it does, someone can tell me what it means.

Just because all words have meaning, doesn't mean that what the word means, has to mean anything. Do you know what I mean?

I would rephrase the question to, "Does life still have no meaning without religion".

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Puff, that is so saaaad! I used to feel that way, too, back when I was a junior in college, and "graduated" from being a Pantheist/deist to being an Existentialist sympathizer.

JL Nobody wrote: Is life meaningful with philosophy, art, and science?

Philosophy, art, science---eventually, when I went thru that Existentialist phase, none of them sufficed to provide rock-bottom meaning. But from this end (no longer an Existentialist), I would say they all can enrich life tremendously, provided they're not seen as an end in themselves.

JL wrote: In their absence, we have barbarism, with or without religion.

I would fine-tune that a bit: the Brownshirts had "art" (albeit mediocre) and a philosophy of sorts, and they practiced (a diabolical form of) science, but they were still barbarians.
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:10 am
diagknows, you tell me then what life means

what is the meaning of life?

Im really interested to see if you can answer to my satisfaction, because so far, you haven't and I know I can't.

i believe it would take a tomb of suppositions and lies
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:12 am
Diag "fine-tuned" my question, "Is life meaningful with philosophy, art, and science?" Correcting a typo, I changed that to "Is life meaningful WITHOUT philosophy...?"
I would correct the assertions that Brownshirts had art, philosophy and science. Their "art" was no more than gross propaganda. Their "philosophy" mere ideology, and their "science" diabolical engineering.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:18 am
JLNobody wrote:
Diag "fine-tuned" my question, "Is life meaningful with philosophy, art, and science?" Correcting a typo, I changed that to "Is life meaningful WITHOUT philosophy...?"
I would correct the assertions that Brownshirts had art, philosophy and science. Their "art" was no more than gross propaganda. Their "philosophy" mere ideology, and their "science" diabolical engineering.

You're right, JL: I had to manually type out your quote, cuz for some vexing reason, the "quote" function wouldn't work for me Sad . Sorry! And yes, I would agree with you that Their "art" was no more than gross propaganda. Their "philosophy" mere ideology, and their "science" diabolical engineering Guess that gets us into the topic of what constitutes true art, true philosophy, and true science....Shall we start a new thread? Laughing
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:23 am
puffthemajicdragonallday wrote:
Im really interested to see if you can answer to my satisfaction, because so far, you haven't and I know I can't.

i believe it would take a tomb of suppositions and lies

Hmmmnnn, Puff, why did I figure as much? (BTW, pun-junkie that I am, I got a kick Laughing out of your pun---"tomb" ---even tho I disagree.) Just to make sure I understand you correctly: when you say "so far, you haven't," are you referring to my posts just at this thread, or are you referring to various posts of mine here at A2K?
0 Replies