Is it tacky to talk to people about work or business on New Year's Eve?

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 07:32 pm
Hi. I am curious about this. I tried contacting a instructor who teaches a voice over course through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art school. Earlier this year I tried to contact him to ask if he got the emails I sent to him around this time last year I had for him with questions pertaining to his course. He claimed he didn't get them and he was annoyed when I called him because he was in the middle of recording something. I sent a detailed email of apology that was forwarded to him through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old school. I want to call him about this and about the emails I sent him. I want to know if it would okay to resend him the emails I sent that had questions about preparing for his course. He wasn't teaching his course this past term at my old art school. I have both of his email addresses and contact phone numbers.

I was waiting for the best opportune time to contact him to get back to him about all this. Is it okay to call him and talk to him about all this on New Year's Eve? Or should I wait till the weekend to speak to him?

Please help. Thank you.

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 08:19 pm
Definitely NOT on NYE.

Communicate during his office hours only after the holidays or when the term starts.
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 08:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
are you stalking this guy? I ouldnt call it tacky, I call it creepy.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 11:20 pm
@farmerman,
No I am not "stalking" him. I haven't communicated with him in about a year. He knows I am interested in taking his course.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 11:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yeah I think I will wait a few days.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 07:34 am
@JGoldman10,
You ask work related stuff to people when they’re working. Find out when the schools go back and contact him at work, on a works number.

Does it have to be him in person? Can’t you get these details off the college itself?

Maybe he’s had enough of teaching you and is trying to let it lapse hoping you’ll go away.

I’m not saying that to be nasty, but you have been banned from quite a few sites and have rubbed people up the wrong way. Maybe you could do with a fresh start, a new voice coach.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 10:49 am
@JGoldman10,
You've bothered the man enough. Emails and phone calls and resending of emails. If he has not answered by now, he has his reasons. What they are is not any business of yours. He has made clear he does not want any more contact with you in the ways you have chosen.

Perhaps he only wants to work directly with current students. Whatever it is, leave him alone. You are now moving into full fledged harrassment which means you might end up being charged with a misdemeanor.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 05:25 pm
@Sturgis,
I don't know what you are talking about. I only emailed him a few times and spoke to him twice over the phone. He claimed he never got the emails I sent him. I have not contacted him in about a year. I wasn't constantly trying to get in touch in him. I am not harassing him.

He told me over the phone if I had any questions for him that I could contact him.

He did not say not to contact him anymore.

He's a CONTINUING ED teacher. He doesn't deal with CURRENT MATRICULATED students.

His voice over course is STILL not available through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old school.

If for whatever reason I can't even take this guy's course I will have to find some other venue through which to learn how to voice act professionally.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 05:26 pm
@izzythepush,
I never had this guy as an instructor.
Real Music

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 09:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
1. Some people don't regularly check their emails.
2. I open up my email account maybe once or twice per year.
3. Because I rarely open up my email account, there could easily be hundreds of emails I've never opened up or read.
4. The only time I ever open up my email account is when someone personally tell me that they just sent me an email within the last 24 hours.
5. Otherwise I will never know of any existence of any specific email.
6. In fact the primary reason I open up my email accounts at all, is to delete the hundreds of emails that I will never get around to opening and reading.

7. On the other hand, I do read all phone text sent to my phone.
8. I also listen to all voice messages left on my phone.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 11:51 pm
Harassment is constantly trying to contact someone every waking chance you get. I didn't do that. The Continuing Ed Dept. doesn't even know the instructor's schedule outside of the school.

I check to see if and when his course is available through the online catalog on my old art school's website. As of the time of the posting of this it's STILL not available.

As I said, if I can't even take this guy's course for whatever reason I will have to find some other means of study.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2021 04:33 am
@JGoldman10,
Word gets around.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2021 08:43 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
As I said...

Yes, you did indeed, indeedly-do state this before. More than a few times. That is something of a trademark for you. It is also part and parcel an indicator of your obsessive behavior. Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat.... By the way, that is in its own form a type of harrassment. State your points once. Wait for response, wait a moment longer. If there is no response, let go of it.

Quote:
...if I can't even take this guy's course... I will have to find some other means of study.

Why wait? Stop dicking around. Try looking for other ways and places to secure this area of your education.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 12:45 am
@Sturgis,
I don't badger people. I don't have anxiety issues. I interacted with the instructor a FEW times.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 02:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
The man would contact you if he wanted to. Apparently he has no desire to interact with you. Please accept this and find your information some other way.

He’s not the only dog in town doing this kind of work. Get your information at the main office.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 09:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
The Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art school knows nothing about any venues outside of the school. I have asked them that already.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 10:16 pm
@PUNKEY,
As I said, I did something to rub this guy the wrong way unintentionally. It isn't wise to contact someone right away after something like that happens. The other person needs time to cool off. I left him alone for about a year. I wasn't harassing him.

If he hasn't contacted me he has probably forgotten about me.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Just because the people at your former school are not able to advise you on this, does not preclude you from looking elsewhere. The Internet is filled with informative resources. It may mean days or weeks or even months of searching; but, it is available. Further, you will most likely be more appreciative of the information if you put in the efforts to find it. You know that you are capable of doing this.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 02:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Kid is doing voice acting work on the side. Last month he earned US$300.

He’s not had any training or been on a course. He just did it.

You are procrastinating again.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 02:47 pm
@Sturgis,
I didn't say it did. This instructor is not the only person teaching a course in voice over work. Unfortunately his course isn't available online through the Continuing Ed Dept. at my old art school, I'd have to take it in person. I don't even know if I can even take this guy's course. I live in upstate NY and my old school is in NYC. I don't know if the commute between where I live in upstate NY and NYC is even feasible. I don't know what buses and trains I have to take to get to NYC from where I live, what time I have to leave to make these connections and how much the commute is going to cost. When I was living in downstate NY, in Long Island, going to to my old art school was not a problem. I remember temporarily living in NYC but I don't recall if I was still a student at the time. I think I lived in NYC temporarily after I finished art school. I used to take the LIRR at first tog et to school but then I learned it was cheaper and much faster, if I remember right, to commute taking the buses to the NYC subway and ride subway trains using Metrocards.

I have not commuted to anywhere in NYC since the '90s. I haven't lived in Long Island or anywhere in NYC in years.

There ARE instructors who offer online courses in voiceover work. I have to find out how paying for their courses and taking them is going to work.
0 Replies