Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:26 pm
Well, tell you what. I will pray for you that you find something to believe in and I will pray for your soul.

Momma Angel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,760 • Replies: 37
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:34 pm
I suspect this was meant for Frankie.

Do I want to point him over here?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:42 pm
Marriage and the Bible
Hey, if Frankie needs prayers, send him on. I'm happy to pray for anyone!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
Who is this Frankie and what is this thread about?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:02 pm
Marriage and the Bible
Well, I guess I started this discussion. I happened upon this forum today and saw some interesting conversations and had to throw in my two cents. We were discussing homosexuality, the Bible, and what it says about marriage.

I said I'd pray for him (I think it was Frank, not sure though) because he said he was an agnostic and didn't believe in anything. I just find that very sad. If you don't believe in anything, how can you have hope?

Momma Angel
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

Frank Apisa.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
Frank
Yep, that's who it was Frank! And Frank, I am praying for you!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:46 am
ehBeth wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Frank Apisa.

Ah... I am sure Frank is pleased. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
[/quote]

Ah... I am sure Frank is pleased. Laughing[/quote]

I'll bet. Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:26 am
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
Quote:
If you don't believe in anything, how can you have hope?

I think that it is people who look outside of themselves who have the problem. Secure people do not need to have supernatural beliefs in order to lead happy, successful lives.

Hope is a baby word. Mature adults plan, and act.

0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:13 am
Does anyone know of a good reply to someone who doesn't approve of something you do or something you are when they say "I'm praying for you"?

If you say something to the effect of "thanks" it's saying yes, I am a sinner, going to hell, thanks for your prayers, I'm sure it'll get me on the right track.

If you say something that can be taken as "mind your own business" You're rude, or are taken as a hellbound lost cause.

If you really try to explain to the person why their telling you they are praying for you is something you wished they hadn't shared, God, now you've engaged them in conversation, and you're doomed until you can segway to something else.
(last time this happened - I eventually said "OOOOOO Look! Chocolate Cake!" and dashed that way.

You know, if you're gonna pray for me, fine, but if you've gotta tell me about it - You're making it about you, not me.
That's my basic feeling - but again, saying that will only get you more things like "well, God bless you"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:24 am
Prayer
Wow! Tough crowd! My comments are not meant to offend anyone. I respect how you say you feel.

When I say that I am going to pray for someone, I do not think the things you said. It's not up to me to say someone is hellbound, or whatever. That's not my place. I do not judge. You can pray just for someone to have a nice day!

So, have a nice day!

Momma Angel Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:25 am
Momma
Telling someone you're praying for them sounds very judgemental.
Go ahead and pray all you want, about whatever you want. But again, you don't need to share that.

Exception: go ahead and tell someone you're praying for someone to get better, as in "I hear your husbands in the hospital, I'll say a prayer he'll be better soon."
I appreciate when someone says something like that in those types of circumstances. But honestly, I usually don't give a thought that they are actually saying a prayer, it's just a nice thing to say to let the other person know you care.
Actually, I'll bet when most people say something like that, they aren't even following up by praying, it's just something to say.

Damn, I just KNEW I shouldn't have made that comment about being hellbound. There you go, taking that as another opportunity to say something about Yourself, as in "That's not my place. I do not judge" In other words "Look how humble I am".

Wow, you've really got my thought juices flowing....A couple other things...That sentence about "I respect how you SAY you feel" That's not judging? As in, well, you're SAYING to feel one way, but I don't think that's REALLY how you feel.
Why not just say "I respect how you feel"? period.

and "my comments are not meant to offend anyone" Yeah, that's always a good thing to say in order to turn it around, as in - "well, I wasn't INTENDING to offend you, so it must be YOUR interpretation that's making it offensive. Again, making it about yourself.

There's nothing wrong with judging others, we do it a million times a day in order to make society run smoothly.
Every time we open our mouth to say something, we realize we will be judged on how the words will be heard.
If I am approached by a scruffy person late at night, and he's weaving from side to side and is carrying a baseball bat, I'm going to judge that he is a danger to me.

If I enter a store and am given good customer service, I judge they take pride in their work.

You know, it would be totally acceptable to Wish someone a nice day, I don't think it's necessary or even a good idea to pray someone have a nice day.
I mean, why drag God into it when He's pretty much got his hands full with Iraq and bombings in London?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
Momma Angel--

The eye of the beholder is packed beauty and a lot of other cultural baggage.

Some judge praying as judgemental.

I'm an agnostic, but I see prayer as a generous, well-meaning act on behalf of someone else.

Some see "I'm praying for you" as self-advertising. I prefer to think the person praying is saying, "You're not alone."

I think I'd object to a self-invited prayer meeting parked on my front porch, but I'd object to any group of outsiders parked on my front porch for their own purposes.

People who tell me that a recovery from illness is due solely and completely to their prayers are egocentric in my terms and blasphemous according to the rules of most religions.

Kindness may be misplaced, but it is rarely wasted.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:04 pm
Hey - don't get me wrong Momma, I do believe in God, but it's a private thing.

You know, I was thinking abuot this at the car wash a little while ago....

not about praying in particular, but in general social intercourse. I'm to the point, and don't mind it, in fact expect it from others.

I realized I ususally don't find myself saying things like "I didn't mean to offend you, or I'm sorry if I offended you"

What I do find myself saying are things like... "I offended you. I'm sorry, let me think of a better way to explain myself."
That way, I'm letting the other person know it wasn't anything they did, but my failing to communicate properly.

So......I offended you. I'm sorry.
Another way of restating myself is to say when someone tells me they are praying for me, as in "I'm praying for you because I think you're a homosexual" for instance, there's really no good answer.
What first pops into my head would be to say "oh"

Serious question Momma: What do you expect a homosexual that you are praying for to say in response to you telling them?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
Chai Tea,

I decided to take some time to respond to what you posted. You brought up many points I would like to address. I wish I knew how to put those boxes in here with quotes like I have seen others do. So, since I don't, I will just jump in.

You wrote: Telling someone you're praying for them sounds very judgmental.

To me, praying for someone is the greatest gift I can give them. The Lord is my everything so for me to go to Him and ask something of Him for someone else is a kindness and not a judgement. I do not ask Him to point out where I may believe someone is wrong in their life. What I ask Him is to please touch that person's heart and help them in their daily life or as you mentioned, praying for someone to get well.

You wrote: ...But honestly, I usually don't give a thought that they are actually saying a prayer, it's just a nice thing to say to let the other person know you care.

First, if you don't give it a thought then why this particular discussion? If you don't give it a thought, then just let it go. I can only tell you from my experience and my life, when I say I am going to say a prayer for someone I say a prayer for someone.

Ok, this one kind of ticked me off a bit and that's why I wanted to take the time to answer without anger.

You wrote: There you go, taking that as another opportunity to say something about Yourself, as in "That's not my place. I do not judge" in other words "Look how humble I am."

You don't know me and I don't know you. All we know of each other is what we read in these posts. When I say it is not my place and I do not judge I am telling you I leave judgements up to the one and only judge. No trying to be humble, just a plain fact.

You wrote: ...Why not just say "I respect how you feel?" period.

You are totally right about that one. It did sound just like you said it did. I should have said plainly, "I respect how you feel" and I do apologize for that wrong.

You wrote: "my comments are not meant to offend anyone." Yeah, that's always a good thing to say in order to turn it around, as in - "well, I wasn't INTENDING to offend you, so it must be YOUR interpretation that's making it offensive. Again, making it about yourself.

Actually, if I were to say, I offended you and I am sorry, that means before you even said anything I decided I did offend you. I have no idea if I offended you (anyone) unless they let me know. I just recognize that there is a possibility that I did and if I did, I wanted you to know I didn't mean to do that. I look at that as a courtesy.

You wrote: There's nothing wrong with judging others, we do it a million times a day in order to make society run.

There is a difference between discernment and judgment. Judgement carries a negative connotation as discernment is to detect or recognize. If I judge, then I more or less condemn. If I discern, I see something and understand.

And lastly, you wrote: "I mean, why drag God into it when He's pretty much got his hands full with Iraq and bombings in London?

God is the most important factor in my life. My decisions are made after praying about the situation. I lean on Him totally, just as He would have me do. What good would a God be if you couldn't go to Him with everything? What good would a God be if He was too busy to commune with me and listen to me? The Bible tells me that I am to lean on the Lord, that He will give me rest. If more people were to lean on God then this world would be in a much better position. It is in the shape it is in because people are getting away from God. And that's just common sense. If we all followed God's basic rule of "do unto others" we would not be in the dire position we are in now.

And there are no rules for when prayer is or isn't necessary (you wrote I don't think it's necessary or even a good idea to pray someone have a nice day). And why not? The one prayer I never miss saying is Lord, tomorrow, please, give everyone in the world a reason to smile at least once. And what's wrong with wanting everyone in the world to have a nice day?

You made it very clear that you think I am making it all about me. You totally miss the point. It is all about God. I give Him the glory because He is the one that deserves it and I will not apologize for that. My life has been blessed in so many ways because I believe what I believe. I share those beliefs with others because I wish everyone could feel as at peace and happy as I do. And what is wrong with that? What is wrong with caring?

What is wrong with just letting someone say, "I will say a prayer for you" and you just simply say "thank you" and let it go at that. Why analyze every little word said? Sounds more like you are making that about you. It must be very hard not being able to just accept a kindness and just let it go by simply saying thank you, or saying nothing at all. Makes me wonder why.

And in your last post you wrote: "What do you expect a homosexual that you are praying for to say in response to you telling them?

Honestly, I don't expect them to say anything. But, why not just say thank you and go on? What's the big deal?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:32 pm
Noddy24,

I appreciate what you said about saying prayers for someone. I, too, feel it is a kindness and not a judgement.

But, I am curious about one thing, why is God a private thing to you? Does that mean you don't share Him with others? I am just curious.

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:34 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Honestly, I don't expect them to say anything. But, why not just say thank you and go on? What's the big deal?

I can tell you the big deal is that you are simply saying you are sinning by just being.

I don't think you have a mean bone in your body but sometimes even the nicest people say things that hurt other people.

Oh, and to get quotes, simply click "quote" on the post of the person you'd like to quote. Then under their post, enter your response. Once you get good at it, you can take certain phrases out and quote just that with a response. Play with it and you'll get it. Preview your post before you submit to see if you've done it right.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
Well, facts are facts. All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. And all I can do is put out there what I feel and believe. I don't have a clue as to how every single person will take what I say. None of us do. That's why some things are just better to let go.

And just so you know, I don't believe in degrees of sins. One sin is the same as another in God's eyes. What is important is that we do our best to not sin and when we do we repent of those sins. So, we all have sins.
0 Replies