Arella Mae

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:42 pm
I almost forgot! Thanx so much for telling me how to do the quotes!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
Momma Angel--

You wrote:

Quote:
But, I am curious about one thing, why is God a private thing to you? Does that mean you don't share Him with others? I am just curious.

I'm an agnostic who finds the idea of a goddess much more acceptable than a god.

Even more congenial is the idea of a goddess as a still small voice, to be loved through actions rather than orations. I share my goddess with everyone with whom I have contact.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:15 pm
I'm with Bella - I'm sure you're a lovely gracious person.
However, overall, telling someone you're praying for them does not strike me as a gift.

Getting back to Frank, I'd be interesting to get him in here so he can give his thoughts on your gift.

Hey - somebody go get Frank, will ya?

Your question of God being a private matter. Well, actually it's mainly because of these very circumstances.
Against my better judgement (as if I had any) I find myself drawn into discussions, when I know at the end of the day, each of us are going to retain our own beliefs.
Share God with others? God is not mine to share.

One thing I believe is that there is one God, however, each human that has ever lived who believes in God has their own personal conception of what/who God is - If you attend the same church and sit in the same pew next to the same person every day, neither of you will ever have the exact same beliefs.

As far as my saying there is one God, I believe this one God manifests himself in an infinite number of ways, since there is a seemingly endless # of people.

God is what God is what God is. Having one worldwide relegion, or two, or a million will not change what God is.
That's why it's so private Momma.

As far as analyzing - that's how God made me. No joke intended there. Ever since I can remember I've been asking questions, questions, questions.
Honestly, I feel that's the biggest gift God has given me, the thirst to ask "why"
I sure don't know, but maybe that's God's purpose for me. No one, even those who have tried to drive me into the ground, have ever been able to get me to stop asking "why"

Oh, on the subject of "why" Those who are regulars, Noddy, Bella, Phoenix, et al. Please be brutally honest with me, I really need it right now.
Do I come across as a really unlikeable person?
I know my posts tend to be long, but it's the words in my head, I feel like each one needs to be said.

I'm sure he was just busting my chops, but a while back Setana really hurt me in another thread. I don't know him well enough to know if that's just his thing. Someone else in that same thread was ridiculing my long posts, and even though I know that person is pretty much a flake, It made me wonder what others think.
I love coming to A2K, but frankly, I was brought up kinda in isolation (long story) so I can't always judge (oops sorry, Discern) how I am seen. One thing I do know besides being inquisitve and blunt, is that I'm a jokester. I can find the humor in almost anything.

Please, it would be a favor to me to let me know (she says with a tear in her eye).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, facts are facts. All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. And all I can do is put out there what I feel and believe. I don't have a clue as to how every single person will take what I say. None of us do. That's why some things are just better to let go..

Yes, true, but there is now medical proof that homosexuals brains are different than heterosexuals. What will the church say when medicine proves that there is nothing "wrong" with homosexuals and that they are as natural as heterosexuals? Just curious. I am not trying to be mean or start a fight. I am just curious to know.

Momma Angel wrote:

And just so you know, I don't believe in degrees of sins. One sin is the same as another in God's eyes. What is important is that we do our best to not sin and when we do we repent of those sins. So, we all have sins.

I just don't agree with that. Dishonering your parents is a much lesser crime than murder.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Chia Tea--

Keep in mind I'm writing at your invitation at the end of a trying day which completes a challenging week.

Judging from your posts you are young, enthusiastic, articulate, a bit outspoken and a bit bumptious.

At my age I consider most young, enthusiastic, articulate posters a bit bumptions. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Ask yourself, whether you want to impress people or convert people or meet and make friends and conduct yourself accordingly.

As for the length of your posts, you are as entitled to your style of self expression as you are to your theology. I can't force people to read every single word of my posts, let alone yours.

Setanta (note the spelling he prefers) is one of the more outspoken posters on A2K. He does not suffer either fools or what appears to him to be folly gladly. He values the intellectual hurly burly of A2K as much as he does the fellowship.

As I said earlier, you'll have to set your own priorities. Perhaps at your age you'll have to explore priorities before you espouse them. Exploration is good.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
Well, it was nice meeting all of you but this is definitely not the place for me to be. I am a Christian, I believe in One True God who gave His son for the world in order that I might find salvation. His laws do not change. Man tries to change them but they cannot be changed.

My beliefs are simple and I have learned that if, when I speak of them, they are rejected, as they have been here, then I stop. I will not force myself or my beliefs upon anyone.

And take this however you want to. I AM going to pray for all of you. I don't need a thank you, a kiss my butt, or anything. I am going to do it anyway!

Take care, have a nice day, I hope you all find what you are looking for!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:40 pm
Momma, this is a forum for discussion and debate, with people from around the world. People have different viewpoints and defend them heartily and sometimes well.
You are certainly welcome to stay, and if you go, that is cool too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:41 pm
She hasn't gone anywhere, OssoB - just on to another thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
Chai Tea -

I've never thought your posts are too long. I am a train of thought writer myself, not particularly linear thought either.

I've often agreed with you, whether I spoke up or not.
For example, I have similar feeling to yours when someone announces they are praying for me - unless it is a crisis time of certain type where I just expect that and appreciate the gesture. In any case, I didn't think you were hostile in expressing how you felt.

I have a faint memory of disagreeing with you once, but not of what that was about. I let it pass. If I see it again, I'll speak up and we can talk about it.

I think you are an asset to a2k and always read your posts.
I agree with Noddy in noticing your ability to be rambunctious, or her word, bumptious. You're bound to screw up sometime, we all do.

I am not completely sure rambunctiousness is a function of age - it may be that some of us control our writing less than others for self-appealing reasons. Age brings care for the impact of words.... sometimes.

Setanta is both fierce and wonderful, to some of us anyway.
Go ahead and engage him. He will deride arguments he doesn't buy but that is part of the conversation here.

After you've been here longer, you may notice some people who are seen in near violent disagreement are sometimes, off subject, friendly. People have rallied around BVT with his recent health problem, many of them people who have had feisty arguments with him.

Anyway, stick around.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 08:42 am
I thought she meant she was leaving for good too. Momma, if you come back to visit this thread, just know that none of us are being malicious. Like Osso said, this place is where you can open up and debate or discuss.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:18 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Chia Tea--

Keep in mind I'm writing at your invitation at the end of a trying day which completes a challenging week.

Judging from your posts you are young, enthusiastic, articulate, a bit outspoken and a bit bumptious.

At my age I consider most young, enthusiastic, articulate posters a bit bumptions. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Ask yourself, whether you want to impress people or convert people or meet and make friends and conduct yourself accordingly.

As for the length of your posts, you are as entitled to your style of self expression as you are to your theology. I can't force people to read every single word of my posts, let alone yours.

Setanta (note the spelling he prefers) is one of the more outspoken posters on A2K. He does not suffer either fools or what appears to him to be folly gladly. He values the intellectual hurly burly of A2K as much as he does the fellowship.

As I said earlier, you'll have to set your own priorities. Perhaps at your age you'll have to explore priorities before you espouse them. Exploration is good.

Hold your dominion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing What do you consider young? I'm 46, going to be 47 in just a few months. However, I intend to remain young at heart at long as I live.
I think I'm more rambunctious like ossobuco said, rather than bumptious.
Rambunctiousness is fun, bumptiousness (is that a word?) is so serious.
I truly appreciate you honesty Noddy. As I said, sometimes I have a heard time determining how I'm viewed.
For future reference - I am always up for shaking up someone, in order to pry open the door to their mind. My favorite story is the Emperors New Clothes - I'm the one crying out "The emperors Naked!" or "There's an elephant in the room!"

I love to laugh, and there I am irrepressible. I cant help but see the humor in everything around me, and comment on it.

I'm not trying to convert, or God forbid impress (actually, in my life I'm the one who works in the background, making things happen, making things run smoothly - My greatest satisfaction comes from pulling off a grand project, and no one even knew I was there.)

OK - I hear you, I'll try to tone it down a couple decibles.
I can see where my excitement for the moment could be taken for being impetuous.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Well, I did try a couple more threads where I was told I could "discuss" my viewpoint.

While I have tried to do that without using foul language, criticizing anyone's beliefs, or calling anything or anyone silly, absurd, etc, and especially the God I believe in is a "piece of shyt God," that's what I have gotten back.

I am a 49 year old woman who is relatively intelligent who was hoping to share some things with others. But, I feel this is not the place to do that. I don't need to defend my beliefs, nor do I need to defend God, yet I feel as though that is what I am asked to do (though I realize that's what is not supposed to be intended.)

So, take this or leave this as you will. I am praying for all of you!

I am bowing out of this conversation and this particular website.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:32 am
This website is intended to challenge your beliefs. That's how we grow and become stronger in our convictions. If you truly believe something, nothing anyone chould say should shake those beliefs. I wish you the best but know that you will never find a forum where everyone agrees with you 100% unless you join a religious forum for your particular faith. And then what fun is chatting with people who have the exact same beliefs as you do? I guess I like to learn everyday and would find life boring if eveyone agreed with me all the time. Best of luck to you Momma and take care.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
Bella,

I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with my viewpoint. I was glad I found the site because it looked like a place where I could find people with different viewpoints and I could learn some things myself.

However, the reason I felt like bowing out was because I kept asking that what I believed in was not described in swear words or words like idiotic God. Being a Christian, I am used to all kinds of criticisms of what I believe. Even the Bible says that goes with the territory. I just found it amazing that people with as much intelligence as I have found in these threads cannot/will not just show a little common courtesy when someone points out something like that.

I would fully understand them continuing to do so if I were doing the same thing to them. I believe very much that you can agree to disagree.

I appreciate your comments very much. I would love to continue in this website because I have learned quite a bit already and I feel everyone in this world has some sort of wisdom to offer.

Thank you again.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:05 am
I can understand that. But people are people and some people are just ignorant. The best you can hope for is to influence them just a little and hope that they see how ignorant they are being. Don't leave because of one or two insensitive people.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:27 am
I have to tell you, Bella, that I decided to stay again mainly because of the post to me.

And, I have found a couple that have been engaging in a very interesting conversation with me. I have learned quite a bit myself!

Thank you once again!
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
Quote:
Being a Christian, I am used to all kinds of criticisms of what I believe.

I find this such a self rightous statement. In the last 1000 years, when has Christianity in the west come under mass scrutinity from anybody. I assume that Momma Angel is American, and i wonder how is she used to "all kinds of criticisms" when she lives in a country that is 70% Christian.

Give me a break! I mean, you should hold what beliefs you have no matter what people say (as long as theyre non-violent), but i dont see what hardships of accusations and criticisms you could of received when being in America (or even anywhere in the western world) couldnt have been easily discarded due to a resounding majority.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
Etruscia,

Thank you for saying that. It did sound self-righteous. I didn't mean it to be and I just didn't think. I guess I either should have left that out or just said I have encountered it in the past and if I could throw it aside that time, then I should certainly be able to do it now.

It's someone admonishing me that does help me to learn! Thanx for pointing that out to me!
0 Replies