Émilie du Chatelet

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 06:27 am
The point being... Europeans are just as susceptible to anti-scientific views and conspiracy theories as Americans are.

Thank you Izzy.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 06:35 am
The funny thing is that the people who are afraid of using genes to increase nutrition or productivity in food crops are about to get themselves injected with mRNA specifically engineered to change the behavior of their cells.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 06:42 am
@maxdancona,
You’re just like your sock puppet, declaring victory when the debate is still ongoing.

The vaccines are different, they have been adequately tested and the motivation for vaccinating people is not profit driven.

We’re not anti science, we’re sensible, not eating 250 carcinogenic additives is a sensible thing to do. And let’s face it, the inclusion of such additives is to increase the shelf life, speed up production or any other measure that increases profit. Science had as much to do with it as Sweet Fanny Adams.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:13 am
@izzythepush,
Now Izzy is ranting about carcinogenic additives... I don't know how he got there, but I suppose it makes him happy.

This tangent is about how Europeans are so superior in intelligence, and this from a guy who is in the middle of a hard crash OUT of Europe.

At least Izzy is entertaining.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:28 am
@maxdancona,
You’re running away from the question, and using emotive language to ridicule what I’m saying because you cannot response while maintaining the pretence that you’re motivated by science.

I’m not ranting at all, pointing out a fact that you are unable to address, namely 250 carcinogenic additives banned in the EU are legal in America. Bleach that we use to clean lavatories, and that Trump considered injecting, is put in chicken for mass consumption. I’m not eating that ****. As you cannot respond to the point raised, namely US food standards are lax and not fit for purpose, you resort to cheap tricks, which is what you usually do when losing.

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Marge was constantly being criticised by other mothers for serving food with carcinogenic additives or packaging that leaks plastic into the food.

We don’t have that over here, our food is safe for children, while yours clearly isn’t.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:40 am
@izzythepush,
You are being silly Izzy.

I am in favor of banning carcinogenic additives. I have never said otherwise. That is why it is a rant, you are arguing with nobody.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:47 am
On topic of the European superiority complex...

The anti-vaxer movement is largely based on a study, now debunked, that originated in England. I believe the anti-5G movement, including the conspiracy theory that 5G causes Covid is centered in Europe.

I believe that anti-science views in Europe are at least as prevalent as they are in the US. It seems they are different flavors, European conspiracy theories are more anti-progress and anti-technology. The US has the corner on religion and climate denialism.

The claim seems to be that Europeans have superior intellect... I see no evidence to support this.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:48 am
@maxdancona,
When did you become interested in food safety?

You’ve been treating it with complete disdain, like human rights in China.

You are claiming that your free for all approach towards GM foods is based on science and we should trust you on that. While your country allows GM products in the food chain it also allows carcinogenic food additives so it’s not to be trusted.

You can’t have it both ways, either your food standards are adequate or they’re not.

So why should we believe these scientists on the safety of GM crops, yet disregard what they say about carcinogenic additives?

It doesn’t make sense, it’s not logical which is why we don’t swallow that bullshit over here.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy, you are being silly

I listen to the science, and trust scientific institutions, about GM foods.
I listen to the science about carcinogenic additives.
I listen to the science about climate change.
I listen to the science about covid-19.
I listen to the science about evolution.

My message is simple and consistent. On any scientific question I listen to what scientific instructions say are the results of independent scientific research. You should accept the science whether or not it conforms to your ideological or political beliefs.

You seem to be arguing with yourself.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 08:32 am
@maxdancona,
No it’s not, you keep changing your stance, you just can’t admit it.

At least you’re not accusing me of stalking you on a thread I started which is something.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 10:19 am
@izzythepush,
You are arguing with yourself.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 11:01 am

Quote:
Gay or European?
It's hard to guarantee
Is he gay or European?
Well, hey, don't look at me!

You see, they bring their boys up different
In those charming foreign ports
They play peculiar sports
In shiny shirts and tiny shorts

Gay or foreign fella?
The answer could take weeks
They both say things like "ciao bella"
While they kiss you on both cheeks (Oh, please)

There! Right there!
Look at that condescending smirk
Seen it on every guy at work
That is a metro, hetero jerk
That guy's not gay, I say no way
That is the elephant in the room
Well is it relevant to presume
That a hottie in that costume

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 11:28 am

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 12:01 pm
“Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn’t there! He wasn’t there again today, Oh how I wish he’d go away!”
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,

Quote:
I've got you under my skin
I've got you deep in the heart of me
So deep in my heart that you're really a part of me

I'd tried so not to give in
I said to myself, "This affair never will go so well"
But why should I try to resist when, baby, I know done well

I'd sacrifice anything come what might
For the sake of havin' you near
In spite of a warning voice that comes in the night
And repeats, repeats in my ear
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 02:25 pm
Max doesn’t understand the politics behind GM foods, thinking, mistakenly that it’s just a science issue. Far from it, it’s considerably more than that.

Whether or not GM food is safe to eat isn’t that big an issue. One would assume that a food product would be safe to eat. Max puts his trust in American food scientists who say it is safe, they also say that 250+ carcinogenic food additives banned in Europe are also safe.

Our food scientists say it probably is safe, but to be certain there needs to be further testing. That is where Max’s argument ends, if his sources are correct and it’s safe then it should be eaten, end of story.

No, there is significantly more to it than that. GM foods are sold on the promise that they can increase harvests around the World, make strains of wheat that can survive and even flourish on half the amount of water of standard strains. Crops can be engineered to resist pests and fungus, all sorts of things. It all sounds very laudable and noble.

The truth is very different, GM crops are being engineered to resist pesticides and weed killers resulting in an increase in their use meaning more unwanted chemicals going in the food chain. It’s profit driven and leads to significantly more intensive farming so there’s also a knock environmental impact on the surrounding countryside.

The very worst thing is that most GM crops are in the hands of one huge multinational which patents its seeds and ensures on they can produce fertile plants. Nobody else can make a seed crop, only Monsanto.

Taken to it’s conclusion it would mean that all food on the planet eaten by everyone was patented by one company who controlled who ate and who did not. It’s folly, and while one company is allowed to monopolise the future food supply of the World, GM food is to be dismissed out of hand.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 02:40 pm
I don't care about the politics of GM foods. Fear of GM food plays into European politics in a way that isn't rational. It is the same political fear that drives people in England to commit dozens of arson attacks on 5G towers.

I care about the science. European politics is different than American politics. But European scientists get the same science as American scientists, the scientific results aren't any different nor are the published papers or anything else.

This is a political issue to Izzy. Which is why he is having trouble accepting the science. If you only accept science when it matches your political ideology... then there is no need for science.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 02:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy is factually wrong about pesticide use. Conventional crops require more pesticide than pesticide resistant crops. That is a scientific fact.

The rest of the claims he is making are scientifically irrelevant.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 04:43 pm
Max is the sort who would on the Terminator series. All he cares about is the science, the politics of it running amok and killing everyone don’t concern him.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 05:11 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Max is the sort who would on the Terminator series. All he cares about is the science, the politics of it running amok and killing everyone don’t concern him.

Yes! I would jump at the chance to work on the "Terminator series".

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/tuqIAcwGgmwgqVjB32k9cONHW8c=/0x0:1020x680/1200x800/filters:focal(415x207:577x369)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56882573/terminator_endoskeleton_1020.0.jpg

I currently working on a project processing big data that is useful for measuring social distancing. It turns out that Skynet is surprisingly relevant!

(yes I know that Izzy is ranting about seeds)
0 Replies