TV Vs No Tv

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:50 am
So Now that Im in Iowa and im living in a place that doesnt have access to a tv all the time so my time is mostly spent not around the tv. But before i came to Iowa I always had the tv on... if only for background noise. And you know, as I sit and think about it, I kind of like it the way it is now, without the TV. It seems as if my head is no long filled with useless information. I watch the news or read up on it but thats really about all I do. I will catch ESPN to see how my teams are doing. And i go the the movies to watch a movie but no real TV. Has anyone else had this expereince? Or am I just crazy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,509 • Replies: 39
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:54 am
I have lived with out tv for almost 2 years now.
I love it.
I do HAVE a tv, but no cable, no rabbit ears .. nothing. Just a VCR
IF i watch the tv, it has to be a rented movie. And even that doesnt happen very often.
Much nicer with out tv.
No aggrivating back ground noise, no stupid mindless reality shows that make you sit still for a half hour or more just to hear someone tell another person off.
I think with a tv on all day.. you really do turn into a BOOB
Hence the term Boob Toob.
Laughing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
lol yea i agree, which is why im enjoying my time without it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:22 am
I have TV, but I really only watch a select few programs. The rest of the time I use it to watch DVD movies, without commercials, which I have chosen to watch. I have an account at Blockbuster Online, so I can see whatever I want. Since I have gotten the subscription, I have not been to the movies.

I never could understand people who use radio or TV as background. My husband always has the radio on, loud, and it drives me nuts. The only time that I listen to the radio, is when I am alone, in the car. My computer has surround sound with six speakers. I find that I seldom turn the music on when I am using the computer. I find it too distracting.

Boy, I am beginning to sound like an old curmudgeon! Laughing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:27 am
lol haha... thats not an old curmudgeon at all... thats just personal perference. and i dont know... background noise is just..comforting? to me. i dont know. its just something that has always happened in my family. turn on the radio or something and go about your daily task... but now i find myself not really caring about it at all.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:32 am
Sometimes I think life would be better without tv.Id go out more, id read instaed of rely on visuals.Id have my head filled with important things rather than gossip.Id be talking about art instaed of talking about whose sleeping with who in Eastenders.

Also with things like magazines or newspapers it full of sometimes useless speculative things.Can you imagine your life with pure facts, not mumbo jumbo.
I think the best medium is radio.No visuals have o be sorted and its up to the minute and can be changed at the drop of a hat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
I got rid of mine 15 years ago. No problem here.
0 Replies

Mirriwinni

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
After endless hours of mindless Olympic sport, I decided to junk the TV in 2000, or 2001, whatever year the Olympics were going, and I havn't missed it for one second.
I find I read a lot more books and listen to a lot more music without it.
..and, hey, who needs a TV when you can see Montana's bedroom window, anyway?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
Quote:
and, hey, who needs a TV when you can see Montana's bedroom window, anyway?

haha thats the truth
i dont miss the tv its just when i get around one that i have the urge to sit infornt of it all day
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:24 am
I have gone without tv twice in my life. One for about 3 years and another for about 8 years. The 3 year stint was when I was about 10 and we had an older television that still had tubes. My mom had gotten fed up with myself and two older siblings watching what she thought was too much tv. She yanked one of the tubes and told us it was broken and we didn't have the money to have it fixed. We never questioned her and in the long run it was the best thing that could have happened. Us three kids spent our time interacting, playing games, getting out of doors even more, reading and reading and reading some more. I truly never missed it a bit!

The latest stint of 8 years just ended about 7 weeks ago when I moved from one state to another. It had been my decision to pull the cable 8 years before for basically the same reason my mom had. I saw it as a mindless waste of time for which I was pouring too much money into for what? The joy of having MTV on 16 hours per day? No way for me.
As a single mom, I had the ability to tell my kids that I could not afford it when in reality I could not afford to have them wasting all their free time hooked visually to a stupid machine. Again, it was the absolute best thing to happen.

I have it now. I rarely watch it. The programs I do seem to tune into occasionally are the home improvement programs (I love to get decorating and color ideas) and very rarely, when I can't sleep at night, I like to watch the forensic programs. They seem to make me drowsy pretty quick. I could definitely live without it, although I do like having my vcr and dvd for when I want to watch a good movie.

Good for you, Seed, for finding life outside of television! Smile
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:30 am
yea life is good... all i just got to do is not get hooked again when i get back home.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:03 pm
You're not staying in Iowa? Where is home?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:05 pm
north carolina
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
I'm with Phoenix - having a radio or music on all the time is really distracting to me.
sometimes when I somewhere where music is being played, and then suddenly stop, I'll all of a sudden feel all the muscles in my shoulders relax big time. Aaaahhhhh.
I wouldn't even know I was tensing them.

The older I get, the less I care about TV - Kirk likes to watch DVD's all the time, so I went out and bought the best ear muffs I could find, you know, like for airport workers?

One of the best investment I've ever made, now I can cuddle, read and have quiet all at the same time.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:15 pm
thats cool... i dont know.. i think having to have something in the background all the time says something about you and or your enviorment. like you need to have the hustle there you know what i mean? i dont know. all day im used to hearing all this noise and stuff and so it doesnt seem right if there isnt noise for the rest of the day.
0 Replies

pola

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:21 am
My best friend always said...
...he always said "I don`t watch TV, I have a life!"...Well, I now live without a TV and I do enjoy it....ok, my flatmate has one, so in emergency-cases, it would be possible to sit next to him and watch..öh..whatever...

Well, I have the feeling of much more time, more energy (does anyone else ever noticed the decline of energy when watching TV? or is it just because you´re relaxing?), I do surf a bit more in the internet now, when I just want to chill out and do "nothing" kind of....but that´s alright for me.....

Well, I would say: Dump your TV and have at least one friend who has one, just in case....:wink:
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:11 am
I'm a TV adict, but I have to say that I prefer it when it's not around. I get so much done and actually use my mind a bit more Smile I'm amazed how much more reading I do and the time that I spend outside.

Pola - I love you avatar picture. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was Cologne...did you take that pic yourself?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
I am a sucker when it comes to tv.... I pay for two tv cable boxes and have all the channels.... yet I only watch a certain few... I may actually just go back to the basics because it is costing me sooo much money!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:32 am
We have all the movie channels and everything. At least 300 channels, I swear and I still can't find anything to watch sometimes. I love movies though and my hubby and I veg out in front of the tube together every night. It's like, "don't talk to me I am lost in the tube" time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:34 am
I lied...it's only like 220 channels.
0 Replies