1

How to get closer to God?

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 02:52 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm 20 years old and going to college now. I have a tougher financial situation, especially due to coronavirus and financing my college.
I am a Christian and coming from mostly Christian family. When I was young I was kinda problematic. I had bad grades, i picked on fights and stuff, etc.. We had a lot of animals at home (cats, dogs and farm animals) and I was very fond of them. One day I lost my dog somewhere in the village. He was gone for quite some time. I searched for him everyday, asking people around, searching the woods, the road. I was desperate. I really loved that dog. One day I was coming home from school and I told God: Please, bring my Lenny back home and I will pray to you everyday. As I came home, I checked the stable and there he was lying in hay playing with a bone. I was so happy back then. I kept my promise to God and even now 8 years later. I still talk to him. The problem is though, I kinda cant get closer to Him. I have small issues with gaming addiction and very often show egoistic and cynical behaviour. Unlike my mother and sister who are humble to this very day. I try to do good despite my behaviour. I help my family and neighbours. I am not generally a bad person. It just feels like I dont really have to trust him anymore. I dont want to lose my faith cuz I'm still grateful for what He has done for me. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me his or her opinion about this.

Frank Apisa

2  
Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 03:06 pm
@SkydropBill,
SkydropBill wrote:

Hello everyone!

Okay...you asked, so...

You are 20 years old. Enjoy life...and get over this "god" crap.

A god may indeed exist. Why would you want to insult that god by supposing it to be the disgusting god of the Bible.

The teachings of Jesus are fine. Incorporate them into your personal agenda...not because you suppose him to be a god, but because the teachings are reasonable and intelligent.

2  
Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 05:43 pm
@SkydropBill,
Are you getting help with your gaming addiction?

Jack77

-1  
Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 01:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Just my opinion, but first, define your god and make certain the entity exists. For example, do you seriously buy the three-for-one offer, virgin birth, miracles and other nonsense? Why does this entity want to be worshipped? Have you considered that if you were born and raised in India you would take being a Hindu just as seriously?! There is obviously no Abrahamic god.

Separate your addiction and other issues from your superstitions and use a professional counsellor if you need help in dealing with them and your behavior. Addiction and unwanted behaviors are real problems and nothing to do with gods or religion. Feeling "close to" a god (or any other superstition) isn't a sensible way to help you change your behaviors or cope with addictions. Understanding motivation, how to change behaviors and how to control cravings works.

"Jesus" may not have existed. Secular scholars agree the Christ myth was probably based on an individual, but there is no conclusive proof. So Jesus didn't teach any modern person anything. Christianity grew later. Read the history of it. When people talk of "the teaching of Jesus" they mean what Christians "teach" or opine.

Our behaviors determine whether we are good or bad. Good behaviors are what make us good people - and successful ones.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 06:17 am
Jack77 wrote:

What on Earth are you raving about?

Ask one coherent question...and I will attempt to respond to it.

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 06:20 am
@Jack77,
Jack77 wrote:

Just re-read your response...and you may have replied to me in error. Did you actually intend to reply to the OP?