How to get closer to God?

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 02:52 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm 20 years old and going to college now. I have a tougher financial situation, especially due to coronavirus and financing my college.
I am a Christian and coming from mostly Christian family. When I was young I was kinda problematic. I had bad grades, i picked on fights and stuff, etc.. We had a lot of animals at home (cats, dogs and farm animals) and I was very fond of them. One day I lost my dog somewhere in the village. He was gone for quite some time. I searched for him everyday, asking people around, searching the woods, the road. I was desperate. I really loved that dog. One day I was coming home from school and I told God: Please, bring my Lenny back home and I will pray to you everyday. As I came home, I checked the stable and there he was lying in hay playing with a bone. I was so happy back then. I kept my promise to God and even now 8 years later. I still talk to him. The problem is though, I kinda cant get closer to Him. I have small issues with gaming addiction and very often show egoistic and cynical behaviour. Unlike my mother and sister who are humble to this very day. I try to do good despite my behaviour. I help my family and neighbours. I am not generally a bad person. It just feels like I dont really have to trust him anymore. I dont want to lose my faith cuz I'm still grateful for what He has done for me. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me his or her opinion about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 5,080 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 03:06 pm
@SkydropBill,
SkydropBill wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm 20 years old and going to college now. I have a tougher financial situation, especially due to coronavirus and financing my college.
I am a Christian and coming from mostly Christian family. When I was young I was kinda problematic. I had bad grades, i picked on fights and stuff, etc.. We had a lot of animals at home (cats, dogs and farm animals) and I was very fond of them. One day I lost my dog somewhere in the village. He was gone for quite some time. I searched for him everyday, asking people around, searching the woods, the road. I was desperate. I really loved that dog. One day I was coming home from school and I told God: Please, bring my Lenny back home and I will pray to you everyday. As I came home, I checked the stable and there he was lying in hay playing with a bone. I was so happy back then. I kept my promise to God and even now 8 years later. I still talk to him. The problem is though, I kinda cant get closer to Him. I have small issues with gaming addiction and very often show egoistic and cynical behaviour. Unlike my mother and sister who are humble to this very day. I try to do good despite my behaviour. I help my family and neighbours. I am not generally a bad person. It just feels like I dont really have to trust him anymore. I dont want to lose my faith cuz I'm still grateful for what He has done for me. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me his or her opinion about this.

Okay...you asked, so...

You are 20 years old. Enjoy life...and get over this "god" crap.

A god may indeed exist. Why would you want to insult that god by supposing it to be the disgusting god of the Bible.

The teachings of Jesus are fine. Incorporate them into your personal agenda...not because you suppose him to be a god, but because the teachings are reasonable and intelligent.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2020 05:43 pm
@SkydropBill,
Are you getting help with your gaming addiction?
0 Replies

Jack77

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 01:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Just my opinion, but first, define your god and make certain the entity exists. For example, do you seriously buy the three-for-one offer, virgin birth, miracles and other nonsense? Why does this entity want to be worshipped? Have you considered that if you were born and raised in India you would take being a Hindu just as seriously?! There is obviously no Abrahamic god.

Separate your addiction and other issues from your superstitions and use a professional counsellor if you need help in dealing with them and your behavior. Addiction and unwanted behaviors are real problems and nothing to do with gods or religion. Feeling "close to" a god (or any other superstition) isn't a sensible way to help you change your behaviors or cope with addictions. Understanding motivation, how to change behaviors and how to control cravings works.

"Jesus" may not have existed. Secular scholars agree the Christ myth was probably based on an individual, but there is no conclusive proof. So Jesus didn't teach any modern person anything. Christianity grew later. Read the history of it. When people talk of "the teaching of Jesus" they mean what Christians "teach" or opine.

Our behaviors determine whether we are good or bad. Good behaviors are what make us good people - and successful ones.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 06:17 am
Jack77 wrote:

Just my opinion, but first, define your god and make certain the entity exists. For example, do you seriously buy the three-for-one offer, virgin birth, miracles and other nonsense? Why does this entity want to be worshipped? Have you considered that if you were born and raised in India you would take being a Hindu just as seriously?! There is obviously no Abrahamic god.

Separate your addiction and other issues from your superstitions and use a professional counsellor if you need help in dealing with them and your behavior. Addiction and unwanted behaviors are real problems and nothing to do with gods or religion. Feeling "close to" a god (or any other superstition) isn't a sensible way to help you change your behaviors or cope with addictions. Understanding motivation, how to change behaviors and how to control cravings works.

"Jesus" may not have existed. Secular scholars agree the Christ myth was probably based on an individual, but there is no conclusive proof. So Jesus didn't teach any modern person anything. Christianity grew later. Read the history of it. When people talk of "the teaching of Jesus" they mean what Christians "teach" or opine.

Our behaviors determine whether we are good or bad. Good behaviors are what make us good people - and successful ones.

What on Earth are you raving about?

Ask one coherent question...and I will attempt to respond to it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 06:20 am
@Jack77,
Jack77 wrote:

Just re-read your response...and you may have replied to me in error. Did you actually intend to reply to the OP?
0 Replies

Jiggy

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2020 05:51 pm
@SkydropBill,
Hey. I think you have a good heart, and it is clear it came from your parents, and more than likely what they taught you from early in your life.
I really liked your post, because you value honesty, in that you made a promise, and want to keep it, even though you feel a tug against that.
Again, I attribute this to your parents' upbringing.

I want you do do something for a moment. Read your post again. Then read the posts that follow. Now ask yourself, "Which spirit is the one I like, and want to have? Calm? Angry? Mild? Rough? etc."

Now the next time you go outside, take a moment to take in your surroundings. Consider the differences between the various environments. Listen to the surroundings - Do you listen to the birds?

Ask yourself which you more appreciate.
Once you discover your true self, you will be more convinced of what you want.
I think you have already identified who you are, based on the fact that you see the clear distinction between egoistic and cynical behavior, and being humble.
I think you love your parents and they love you. You want to make them proud.
I think you are a good person at heart.
How can you get closer to God? PM me.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:22 am
@SkydropBill,
Quote:
I kept my promise to God and even now 8 years later. I still talk to him.
But do you also listen?
He spoke to you in one way. There are others.
0 Replies

Thundermist04167

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2020 11:14 pm
@Jack77,
I can prove God exists. "Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem" (Zechariah 12:2, KJV). That, of course, is yet in the future; but even now, the entire world is scared to death of Jerusalem. Why? Because that shall be the capitol of the Millennial Kingdom, in which the Lord Jesus Christ shall abolish all other governments, and rule Himself. Thus, the very existence of Jerusalem puts a stop to every single political debate in the world: all of them are wrong.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 12:15 am
@SkydropBill,
Quote:
I dont want to lose my faith cuz I'm still grateful for what He has done for me.

1. What are some of the things that you are grateful/thankful for?

2. Do you thank Him for the things that you are grateful for?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 12:21 am
@SkydropBill,
Quote:
I try to do good despite my behaviour. I help my family and neighbours.

Those are good qualities.

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 01:59 pm
@SkydropBill,
You can admire Being by learning more and getting wiser with the years to come. Learn and wonder!
0 Replies

Bryangerman95

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2021 04:05 pm
Hello friend.. to get close to god, the main way is to seek him... ill show u some verses that make me sad. Although before i have to warn you that it seems ur faith is just starting so ill help walk you through it if i can.
"Proverbs 8:17
King James Version
17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me."
Why is this sad .. because later he says
"2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord.

5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous"

So two things, there is no one good for we all are sinners and need god for salvation, and secondly righteous means having god in you life also known as being godly. Thats why it says god is in the generation of the righteous. Anyways seek god by reading the bible, keep praying. Its not hard to understand the bible if u humble urself and ask god to let u understand it with faith.. thats when i started to understand it.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 04:35 pm
@SkydropBill,
Hi SkydropBill.
As for your 1st paragraph, please read Matthew 6:25-34. God will take care of your financial needs.
The news is even better for the rest of your post. God answered your prayer concerning your dog. He loves you and has blessed you very much as His child. He promises to always be with you no matter what the circumstances you face. God has blessed you with every spiritual blessings. You are secure in Jesus.
Just keep on seeking to get to know God better and better through Bible Study and prayer (prayer is talking to God).
Jesus has done it all to provide your salvation. Just relax and rejoice in our God.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2021 04:56 pm
@SkydropBill,
SkydropBill wrote:

I kinda cant get closer to Him.

Music to meditate to...
0 Replies

Super-Socrates

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2021 04:18 pm
Get fucked up and discuss Him, or just ponder.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 01:08 am
@Super-Socrates,
...who is it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 06:59 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Hi SkydropBill.
As for your 1st paragraph, please read Matthew 6:25-34. God will take care of your financial needs.
The news is even better for the rest of your post. God answered your prayer concerning your dog. He loves you and has blessed you very much as His child. He promises to always be with you no matter what the circumstances you face. God has blessed you with every spiritual blessings. You are secure in Jesus.
Just keep on seeking to get to know God better and better through Bible Study and prayer (prayer is talking to God).
Jesus has done it all to provide your salvation. Just relax and rejoice in our God.

I hear "prayer" can move mountains.

Is that right?
Super-Socrates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 08:55 am
@Albuquerque,
Me!
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 07:22 pm
@Super-Socrates,
Who?
0 Replies