Trump Without the Virus

Brandon9000

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 02:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
.."before the election" or that the pandemic would disappear "like magic" by April....

This is a statement from pretty early on, Feb. 10. Here are a few others from roughly the same time:

"We went through this before: Zika virus, Ebola, et cetera. But let's have some connection to the reality of the situation, and as the doctor said, catching the flu right now is a much greater risk than anything that has anything to do with Coronavirus."
- Statement by Governor Andrew Cumo

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/focus-on-the-flu-not-the-coronavirus-urges-gov-cuomo

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi toured San Francisco's Chinatown Monday to send a message. She said there's no reason tourists or locals should be staying away from the area because of coronavirus concerns.

"That’s what we’re trying to do today is to say everything is fine here," Pelosi said. "Come because precautions have been taken. The city is on top of the situation."

- Statement by Nancy Pelosi

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nancy-pelosi-visits-san-franciscos-chinatown/2240247/

"We should relax, because that's what's dictated by the reality of the situation,” Cuomo said from his Manhattan office Monday where he and de Blasio were flanked by their respective health commissioners.

“This is not something you get from casual contact,” de Blasio added. “This is something you get from prolonged exposure.”

- NY Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (3/2)

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/03/02/cuomo-de-blasio-urge-calm-in-wake-of-new-yorks-first-confirmed-coronavirus-case-1264696
BillW

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 03:25 am
theRump without the virus is like **** with stink, well in fact, they all four perfectly go together - theRump, virus, ****, stink; yeap, great matches.
maxdancona

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 07:48 am
@Brandon9000,
Relly Brandon!

Do you any ability for critical thought?

I am pointing out that Trump has a consistent record of making wild untrue claims about covid, and fighting with medical science. He didn't do this one time, it is not one quote taking out of context saying that people shouldn't get the flu during a covid pandemic...

You are being ridiculous. These quotes have nothing to do with Trump's fight with science and insistence on saying things directly untrue to deny the seriousness of the pandemic.

(... not to mention that leading the country through this crisis is his job, no one else's)
engineer

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 08:04 am
@engineer,
Here is a link to Trump's approval ratings throughout his Presidency. There is very little variation and it looks like the covid response has not impacted his favorability ratings at all.
maxdancona

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 09:19 am
@engineer,
However, when they ask specifically about his handling of the covid pandemic.... His approval ratings are about 5 points lower (i.e. 37%).

This indicates to me that some people disapprove of his covid response, yet still support Trump for other reasons.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The US is doing far worse than most developed countries. It isn't surprising. It is also a fact that the US is one of the few countries without a national plan for social distancing or wearing masks.

Is there a single state that does not have a plan for social distancing or wearing masks? Which one?

maxdancona wrote:
And the US is one of the only country where the administration is telling people they don't have to wear masks.

You can have your own president. You can't make up your own facts.

You don't need to make up facts when they are in front of your face. As a reminder, Dr. Fauci once also said not wear masks and then changed his mind.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:23 am
@maxdancona,
Well, you claim he's done this and that, but show no evidence for any of it. I can spout all sorts of unverified claims about people I don't like, so what? You haven't demonstrated in the slightest that had Biden been in office, the US death toll wouldn't have been millions. You never answered me when I asked you whether you had seen any of the multi-hour press conferences the president had for months about the coronavirus.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:26 am
@maxdancona,
What about coldjoint's graphs at the bottom of page 1?
maxdancona

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 10:31 am
@Brandon9000,
I accept coldjoint's graphs. I think they are a little cherry-picked; they clearly picked graphs and countries to make a point rather than looking at all the data (even the graphs themselves say that).

However, I am dropping the claim that the US has the worst results. I don't think the data supports my claim.
coldjoint

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 11:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I accept coldjoint's graphs. I think they are a little cherry-picked; they clearly picked graphs and countries to make a point rather than looking at all the data (even the graphs themselves say that).

However, I am dropping the claim that the US has the worst results. I don't think the data supports my claim.

So you are admitting you did no research and just pulled that out of your butt. That works wonders for your credibility.
maxdancona

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 12:16 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
So you are admitting you did no research and just pulled that out of your butt. That works wonders for your credibility.

Yes, I am admitting that. I made a claim that wasn't back up by evidence. You pointed out evidence that contradicted my claim. I didn't exactly "pull it out of my butt", but I am not to be defensive.

I changed my mind and admitted it. The alternative is for me to make up more claims to double down. I am not going to do that.

0 Replies

engineer

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 12:21 pm
I was listening to a podcast over lunch where political reporters from various swing states discussed what they are seeing and hearing on the ground. Pretty much every one of them said they didn't run across any voters who were going to vote for Trump but changed their minds over the covid response. That matches what I see here locally, if you were for Trump pre-covid, you are still there now even if you aren't enthused about the covid response.
coldjoint

Mon 2 Nov, 2020 12:38 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Pretty much every one of them said they didn't run across any voters who were going to vote for Trump

What did expect? Who are these reporters, or should I call them activists?
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 09:45 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

theRump without the virus is like **** with stink, well in fact, they all four perfectly go together - theRump, virus, ****, stink; yeap, great matches.

FLUSHED
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 09:49 am
@engineer,
Listening to NPR coverage this morning and they made an interesting point. If you had drawn an expected electoral map in December, pre covid, it would look a lot like what the actual map is. More support that the virus really didn't move the bar enough to impact the election.
maxdancona

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 10:47 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Listening to NPR coverage this morning and they made an interesting point. If you had drawn an expected electoral map in December, pre covid, it would look a lot like what the actual map is. More support that the virus really didn't move the bar enough to impact the election.

Yeah... I am not convinced that we would have been any different with Covid. The national divide would have existed the same either way.

There is evidence that Covid hurt Democrats in their GOTV effort, where as Republicans kept knocking on doors and holding rallies as if nothing happened.

0 Replies

BillW

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 04:21 pm
@engineer,
then again, kinda looks like it moved the election just enough.......
coldjoint

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 05:05 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

then again, kinda looks like it moved the election just enough.......

Fraud moved the election. Over 100,000 ballots found in MI. and 100 % were for Biden. Why hasn't that been on the news? Twitter is censoring posts about it.
maxdancona

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 05:57 pm
@coldjoint,
The side alleging fraud is the side that knows they have been beaten.
coldjoint

Wed 4 Nov, 2020 06:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The side alleging fraud is the side that knows they have been beaten.

100,000 votes miraculously found in MI and every one for Biden is fraud.
0 Replies