NYC Public Schools

gollum

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 04:16 am
I understand that the NYC public school teacher's union is hostile toward charter schools within the City?

Do the actual teachers in NYC public schools send their children to public schools? To charter schools? To private schools?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 605 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:55 pm
@gollum,
Parents, in general, try to have their child/children receive the best educational experience possible.
gollum

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 03:11 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 03:20 pm
@gollum,
I was a public school teacher in the Boston area (this was years ago).

I have never had any problem sending my kids to public schools. I believe that most teachers do exactly that.

Public schools in the United States are in general quite good. There are problem areas, but the problems are related to location. We segregate in this country by race and social class... and schools in poor areas have problems.

Teachers are educated. They generally live in suburbs with good schools.
gollum

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 03:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you

I live in New York City. I strongly suspect that most teachers employed by New York City's public school system live in New York City.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 03:46 pm
@gollum,
Charter schools are meant to lower class sizes thus actually allowing for easier learning. However many cheats and passes the kids so they could keep there doors open and keep funding flowing.

Public Schools have the best resources, books, food, trips, protections via unions, rights to even disabled children ( not special ed but real disabled ). Without public schools we would only be left with private schools.

Private schools are the original schools and your child is given special attention, beyond that many just enforce uniforms, and proper education.
My teacher back in HS ( the schools treasurer, who does the taxes and paychecks ) said "Private schools are the best".

About teachers sending children to school ?
I worked in a city agency and my Administer ( higher ranking then Manager ).
Literally was a school teacher before he retired among other jobs he is over 50 and just had his first child ( with his 20 something year old wife ), and barely could please her. He homeschool his children.

That being said Teachers ( all grades from K-12 ) are really just substitute parents because it is a parents job to teach children. You should read the article about the "Wolf Children". Father so paranoid of the outside world his wife teaches his children and they mostly spend time inside and walk around outside with sun glasses.

gollum

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 04:19 pm
@PoliteMight,
What Wolf Children?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 05:08 pm
@PoliteMight,
PoliteMight wrote:

I worked in a city agency and my Administer ( higher ranking then Manager ).
Literally was a school teacher before he retired among other jobs he is over 50 and just had his first child ( with his 20 something year old wife ), and barely could please her. He homeschool his children.

What does the bolded bit have to do with his question??
glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 May, 2022 09:26 pm
@Mame,
Pssst, he's very, very confused.
Mame

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 03:32 pm
@glitterbag,
No kidding. Hard to follow his gibberish and weird advice.
0 Replies