Elephant vs Franklin

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:19 pm
The parable of “Touching the elephant” is very famous. Some blind men try to touch the elephant. The guy touched the leg said that the elephant is like a pillar. The guy touched the tail said that the elephant is like a string. The guy touched the ear said that the elephant is like a fan...
Perhaps Franklin didn’t believe such cognition as “lightning is anger of the god Zeus” and decided to touch the elephant in another way.
Franklin was lucky.
The worst thing might be that even Franklin was burned into toasted duck, some people still teased him silly and insisted “lightning is anger of the god Zeus ”. It might be a real sadness for science.
他江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团及新会一中九一四班谁谁快快全世界全宇宙打靶啦。当今时代,全世界没有什么人能够值得如此殊荣。呵呵
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,487 • Replies: 33
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:24 pm
@htam9876,
It wasnt a parable, it was a poem that Ill relate the first few lines and you can go find the rest.

"It was six men of Indostan, to learning much inclined,
who went to see the elephant (Though all of them were blind),
that each by observation, might satisfy his mind.

The first approached the elephant, and, happening to fall,
against his broad and sturdy side, at once began to bawl:
'God bless me! but the elephant, is nothing but a wall!'

-JG Saxe
htam9876

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 01:19 am
@farmerman,
Then, the conception of a "wall" became the "standard model" for the elephant?
他江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团及新会一中九一四班谁谁快快打靶啦。当今时代全世界没有什么人能够值得如此殊荣。呵呵
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 04:26 am
@htam9876,
well, for that one "wise man", yes. Remember, the men are blind and whatever each comes in contact with, that man exclaims that that is what the elephant is like. You should find the entire poem and red how each of the six wise men have different opinions about how they perceive an elephant based upon the one part each contacts.

Please, just look up the poem and you will see the lesson the poet is trying to present.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 04:31 am
@farmerman,
Here is the powm by John Godfrey Saxe. He took what is an old Indian folk tale and turned it into a poem in the late 19th century

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk
Cried, "Ho! what have we here,
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up he spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee:
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope.
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

Moral:

So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen.

As you see, Saxe has added the moral in poesy as to what the Indian folk tale tried to convey.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 04:41 am
@htam9876,
Franklin had many ways to experience electrical energy in the day. There were "many things (like Leyden Jars, electromagnetic toys, etc) so Franklin wanted to experience lightning as a force. (Most learned folks of the day already unerstood the force of electricity).

I think he knew that It could have killed him and Im a bit surprised whether this experiment actually was performed or was merely part of our country"s apocrypha.(We also have a story(untrue) about how one of our founding fathers , George Washington cut down a cherry tree and, when accused, admitted it to his father).

Franklin is credited for enventing the lightning rod, but thi tool had already been known in Russia a decade earlir and it was in ue in the UK and byby French settlers in the US before Franklin did his "experiment"

0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 07:34 am
Piggy encountered a fun term “the scientific community” in a professional physics forum today.
Piggy laughed and asked that guy “who is the scientific community”?
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 04:42 pm
@farmerman,
“So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen.”

In machinery drawing, six views are needed to describe a machine part: the top view, the bottom view, the front view, the rear view, the left side view and the right side view.
………………………………………..
The authentic guys who claimed “the scientific community” in a professional physics forum yesterday even not yet aware the problems with the traditional Lorentz transformation in the cross direction in SR. Piggy has introduced the “mass – space equation” and solved those problems in able2know a few months ago (details see the thread “Is the sun round or thin?” in the Relativity column of the physics forum. A bit regrettable, piggy doesn’t know how to attach the picture of the “L” shaped circuit in that thread).
Actually, there is another very simple thought experiment to demonstrate the inherent flaw in Einstein’s SR: assume a large rabbit is moving in speed v in frame S, the same angles with all axis x,y,z for simplicity. Then, in frame S, the components of speed v along x,y,z axis are the same. While in frame S’, because the Lorentz transformation formulas in the cross direction is not the same as that of the along direction (the moving direction of frame S’), that’s mean the components of speed v’ along x’,y’,z’ axis are NOT the same. Then, physics rule is not the same in different inertial frames. Einstein contradicted himself. If we resort to the space contraction in all directions which is disclosed by the Mass – Space equation, this flaw can be amended easily.
Piggy really is reluctant to go there and inform them and just let those “wise men” confusing in the whole life.
…………………………………………
Cosmos can be fashion, passion and inflation while physics must be step by step.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 05:59 pm
@htam9876,
carry on, Im done.
htam9876

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2020 08:02 pm
@farmerman,
Actually I am tired (of arguing such bad questions with those authentic guys repeatedly). Piggy feels that modern physics is something already heavy accumulated and hard to go bad, even G* can’t pull it out of the mud pit. In fact, many authentic guys are just goofing around in math games and help emit more and more “?” into the night sky.
………………………………..
Piggy would rather go to hurt wild ducks. It’s said that there are many wild ducks in American farms. Farmers with bad shooting skill can get good harvest…haha
htam9876

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2020 04:51 am
说什么物理?竟然忘了本世纪全世界最重要的事情:
他江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团及新会一中九一四班谁谁全世界全宇宙打靶!
当今时代,全世界没有什么人能够值得如此殊荣。呵呵
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 03:30 pm
Actually there is a modern version of the tale of “touching the elephant”. Its author was a real genius (at least in math). And that’s the genesis of the term “touchy and feely”. haha
https://physicshelpforum.com/threads/how-to-make-a-career.14300/post-38783
…………………………………………….
Subjectively, piggy owes the mothers of the First Order very much:
https://physicshelpforum.com/threads/the-game-of-match-sticks.16181/post-50086
https://physicshelpforum.com/threads/the-game-of-match-sticks.16181/post-50089
Objectively, perhaps their mothers are not beautiful enough to attract piggy.
Haha
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 04:21 pm
@htam9876,
Quote:
many authentic guys are just goofing around in math games and help emit more and more “?” into the night sky.

One of the early members of this forum was a researcher in Particle physics and he and his cohorts called it "Mathturbation"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 04:39 pm
@htam9876,
htam9876 wrote:

Google translation wrote:

He Jiangmen local evil forces Zhong Yongkang Group and Xinhui No. 1 Middle School 914, whoever is going to hit targets all over the world quickly. In this day and age, no one in the world can be worthy of such an honor. Ha ha

What the ****?
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2020 01:51 am
@InfraBlue,
ahhhh Jiangmmen Style
htam9876

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2020 02:14 am
@InfraBlue,
Really fun translation by machine. It’s not standard native Chinese language. It’s somewhat local Xinhui language.
The local dark lords of the Jiangmen city (Zhong Yongkang group) and the bad guys of Class 914 of the No.1 Middle School of Xinhui ever join hands to try every means to play piggy dead and even denigrate piggy owe (their mothers) very much. So piggy dubbed them as “the First Order” (evil cabal) and curse them go to hell. Piggy hopes people worldwide and cosmoswide shoot them as soon as possible (just like hunting wild ducks).
In this era, no one in the world can be worthy of such an honor. Ha ha
(Note: piggy graduated from the 4th Class of the No.1 Middle School of Xinhui in 1991. Actually the cabal and piggy are former classmates. haha)
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2020 02:36 am
@farmerman,
It’s said that Jiangmen Style sausage is very delicious. Haha
给他江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团及新会一中九一四班谁谁一个超文革赛阎王光荣称号快快全世界全宇宙打靶啦。当今时代,全世界没有什么人能够值得如此殊荣。呵呵
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 02:16 pm
Society vs nature, touchy and feely:

Subjectively, the First Order sent a what coffin box from what CN to PHF to disturb piggy’s normal research on web and denigrate piggy intentionally (piggy never believes a normal Chinese would do that) and they thought they would surely be able to crack down piggy’s confidence and play piggy down again. Then, piggy had to surrender and go back to their business to do the half – self payment watchman again…Die hard.
A few weeks ago, shortly after piggy left PHF, a local guy stopped piggy on the street and insisted that he had a physics question to ask me. (Seems that a very large elephant is there, shaking the nose and tail! Really the most complicated game cosmoswide in 21st century.) Piggy just replied: “I know nothing about physics”.

Objectively, piggy nowadays still exists in cosmos and is touching the elephant in an alternative angle. “Touchy and feely”. haha
…………………………………..
Piggy reiterates hereby to the First Order that piggy is now in very bad mental situation and bad health due to suffering cruel / all around affliction by them for so many years and so is not qualified to the “best occupation” they nailed for me forever with their absolute will.
Yes, perhaps piggy will have to go into the iron coffin they nailed for me very soon. poop…
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 08:20 pm
The mass – space equation vs the mass – space equation, touchy and feely:
These days piggy is thinking quite a lot about such a question: why I can derive the mass – space equation in two different methods, both Einstein’s SR and my own physical model? What natural secret is hidden behind this?

Upon this new era of physics (Structure of Elementary Particle as the supplement to the Mass Point Dynamics), what piggy can do is just waiting to die in China because the terrible cabal (the local dark lords of the Jiangmen city) has made piggy entirely lost confidence to China. Perhaps it’s more or less a regrettable affair. Perhaps it’s not so important affair because piggy is already a 48 years old man. Most of my time actually is spent on worrying the safety and perspective of my family members.
Perhaps piggy really needs to research how to become invisible and sneak onto a flight and flee to America. Thereafter, piggy is able to concentrate on the research of the base of physics / cosmos.
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2020 09:08 pm
Piggy himself is also “touchy and feely” in this cosmos, trying to explain as many phenomena as possible in ONE method. Then, I should not miss the target of the elephant.
When people try to talk what what what particle, quark, Higgers, matter wave, etc, they had better to reflect / be compatible with both the two basic stones of modern physics: Relativity and QM, (one hand on the leg and the other hand on the ear) and the best do not contradict the classic mechanism and electromagnetism (one foot on the side and the other foot on the dusk). The fascinating thing is that they can also peer the future in physics as well as astronomy (join tails with the elephant). haha
See you, guys.

0 Replies