beliefs

keenu

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:33 pm
no belief vs erroneous belief
It appears as if this post morphed into a discussion about abortion?

Well, since your reality is created according to your belief system I do not believe that you can be "belief-less". You hold beliefs regardless of whether you know what they are or not.

(someone in an earlier reply to this post mentioned time and was a human construct. We can "measure" it and measure it we must but it does not really exist.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:56 pm
Re: no belief vs erroneous belief
keenu wrote:
It appears as if this post morphed into a discussion about abortion?

Well, since your reality is created according to your belief system I do not believe that you can be "belief-less". You hold beliefs regardless of whether you know what they are or not.

Nonsense.

I do not hold beliefs.

I sometimes make guesses...I sometimes estimate...I have suppositions...I have opinions...

...but none of those things are "beliefs" unless I so designate them to be.

I have no ego problems with calling my guesses, guesses or my estimates, estimates. When I suppose something, I designate it as a supposition...and when I offer an opinion, I designate it an opinion.

And if I forget to do so...when questioned about it, I do it then.

There are a lot of people who make guesses or estimates or who suppose things or offer opinions...who dress those guesses, estimates, suppositions, or opinions in the disguise of "I believe..."...

...but by no means is it necessary to sustaining human life that a person have beliefs.

I do not.
0 Replies

keenu

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
nonsense...
Well, do you believe what you just wrote?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 04:38 am
keenu wrote:
Well, do you believe what you just wrote?

Absolutely not!

Some parts I KNOW to be true...and some parts are opinions.

No belief involved at all.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 04:19 pm
When you realize that you are a part of this big beautiful picture of life, this golden chain of life, you awaken your soul's wisdom. Once we know how vitally important each of us is in the chain of life, we have a duty to be strong not only for ourselves, but for all. Remember that you can't be helpful to others if you can't help yourself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:21 pm
rewrite wrote:
When you realize that you are a part of this big beautiful picture of life, this golden chain of life, you awaken your soul's wisdom. Once we know how vitally important each of us is in the chain of life, we have a duty to be strong not only for ourselves, but for all. Remember that you can't be helpful to others if you can't help yourself.

Sounds as though you have something nice to say...something that may possibly be edifying.

I wish you would say it. I'd really like to know what your point is.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:59 pm
Keenu,

To succintly paraphrase;

Is time a "belief" ie, a construction of intelligent beings---Or is it a "fact" ie, having some effects (to be determined) on inaminate objects Question

I am tending to suspect that "time" is a measurement of a rate of change.

So I am trying to consider the ramifications of a universe in which the "speed of time" is related in some way to mass. Or you might say to remove time from a category of "belief" to simply another "mechanical phenomenen". Smile

One way in which a varying speed of time would affect our view of the universe is to render the common notion of a "light year" quite useless as a measurement of distance. A "light year" would only indicate how long since a particular photon was emitted. If the photon took a million years to travel an inch (quite possible in some theories) then a billion light years would only get you around the neighborhood.

Ideas ennybody Idea Idea
0 Replies

Chargels Brenson

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
Everybody has beliefs. It comes with your soul. You can believe in non belief, or in not believing, or in loosely believing, but souls come with predispositions about how they came to be. If you have no beliefs than you have no soul. Beliefless souls are fake souls and those souls dont have any substance to them. Drunk javascript:emoticon('Drunk')
drunk
If you disagree than obviously you have just proved my point by believing in not believing my claims on souls and beliefs going together like monoliths.
0 Replies