POLANSKI'S BIG FAT OSCAR NIGHT

larry richette

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:17 pm
And don't give yourself points for getting me to call my mother. She and I talk all the time!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:34 pm
Uh, that's great larry.

Lighten up, larry, you sound a little stressed...http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/bong.gif
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:26 am
I should add that Polanski's victim also wrote a piece for the LA Times pleading that THE PIANIST be judged on its merits and not on the basis of P's legal hassles. Fortunately, the Academy voters seemed to have heeded her...

I'm not stressed, Max. Dealing with your ignorance is a bit nettlesome, that's all!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:51 am
Just a thought larry....if you follow the example of Jesus Christ and believe all sinners should be forgiven, how is it then that what Stalin and Hitler did can be 'unforgiveable', in your words? I think your own moral standpoint needs a look at...or at least the way you put things.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:00 am
C'mon, folks, at least pretend to be reasonable, intelligent adults. Quit poking at one another before there's a mess that needs to be cleaned up. Who starts crap is immaterial to the fact that crap ain't cool.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
Hitler and Stalin caused the violent deaths of millions worldwide. That's evil on the grandest possible scale. If you don't see the difference, I feel sorry for you. But if Hitler or Stalin came before me and said he repented of his evil actions, I would try to find it in my heart to forgive him--as hard as that would be.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 01:50 pm
Larry,
...I come in peace. However I would like you to answer something for me. If you had a 13 year old daughter, who was fed Quaaludes, and wine, and then invaded anally, would you lookat it as a not so serios event? Just asking.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
Booman, is that actually what happened? Jeez, I didn't realize it was THAT bad. Case closed in this debate, I hope?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:24 pm
For what it's worth, I'll weigh in here. What Polanski did was a grave error. I heard parts of the interview on Larry King and I believe I remember the victim say that the reporting and subsequent publicity of the crime was a greater trauma for her than the crime itself. This is a complicated issue and does not lend itself to black or white. In any case, I can tell you that I have had personal experience with this type of situation and I don't think any purpose is being served now by a continued threat of prosecution for P. Is he a current threat to other teen age girls? I don't know, but I suspect he is not. It would be nice to have him back in this country or at least for him to be able to accept his own Oscar award. I would enjoy it and I see no constructive reason why he shouldn't be allowed to do so. He has produced some marvelous works and will most likely go on to produce more, or at least I hope so.

As far as his running away from prosecution that was likely to be overly harsh, I only wish Oscar Wilde had done the same when he had the chance. Instead he stuck around, and his punishment resulted in a loss to the entire world. His career was cut short. I would dearly love to have more of Oscar Wilde to enjoy.

Another example I can remember is Jerry Lee Lewis. He married a 13 year old and the public response resulted in an end to his career as well. I mourn the loss of these artist's work. Had P. stayed to serve the sentence he would have been given, we would not have enjoyed some of his best work.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 07:08 pm
D'Artagnan,
...On page 2 of this topic Lightwizard has a link to the transcript. Even before then, I heard it disscussed on Bill Maher's "Realtime".
...Let me say something. In my travels, an escapades as an entertainer, as careful as I thought I was, there were two occasions where a young lady shocked me AFTER the fact. One time was dangerously close to Roman's folly, agewise. I say this with no shame, because I was unaware and ended things there. But, I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror, if I had drugged and sodimized a woman, OF ANY AGE! And I'm no prude, but it just isn't fair, and I have a mother and a sister. I may have seduced a woman when she was tipsy, but it's no fun if she unaware. Those are my standards. I'm sure others are higher or lower
...And that's my 2 Cents worth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
Drugs and booze don't seem to do a damned thing for my lovelife. If an abundance of either was a factor, it pretty much became the focus. I believe all of my intimate partners were aware, and willing, disregarding level of enthusiasm. I think it impolitic to discuss that particular of relationship or dallience in greater detail.. It does sell copy, though.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:26 pm
Timber,
...I'll bet you're so easy when a woman buy you a buys you a few drinks. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:27 pm
Come on Timber, confess.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:03 pm
Someday, Lola, I'll tell you about The Greek Twins and the flourescent paint. Coupla great girls ... or they seemed so many Presidents ago Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:15 pm
TWINS! Shocked ....DId I ever tell you, you were my hero?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:24 pm
YOU'ALL ARE TWISTED!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:00 pm
eoe, LOL, twisted in the very best kind of way...........

Timber and Boo..........twins, I'm sooooooooo impressed.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:01 pm
Booman, I said it before and I'll say it again--what Polanski did was scummy. But it wasn't the crime of the century. Let's have a little moral clarity here. The victim herself forgives him, why can't you?
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:02 pm
Timberlandko, those "twins" sound like they came straight out of your overheated imagination. Fess up.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:05 am
Larry,
...Actually I never said whether I forgave him, or not. I said if I had did a simular deed, I wouldn't be able to look MYSELF in the mirror. You see I'd rather judge myself, than others.
...As for you, I concede that you called it a scummy act. However, I also saw you refer to it as a "minor victimless crime". I was asking, could you please tell me if a 43 year old man had plied your daughter with Quaaludes and wine, and then invaded her anally, would you call it a, "minor victimless crime"? If you decide to answer this question, this time, I'll accept whatever you say as your honest feeling.
0 Replies