Belarus, riots, rigged election attacks on journalists.

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 05:22 pm
I thought the situation in Belarus warranted its own thread. There’s been a disputed election, the opposition leader has fled to Lithuania. There are riots with a heavy handed response by security forces including live fire on protestors.

A local journalist was interviewed on the BBC, he was saying that certain police chiefs have come out in support of the opposition which is unprecedented in such a centrally controlled state. He was saying that Lukashenko was buying for time and that everyone knew he had lost.

I would like to think that “Europe’s last dictator,” was on his way out but I don’t feel quite so optimistic. I’m on an iPad and can’t post links but there’s loads out there if anyone else wants to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 690 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 06:02 pm
Appreciate your starting this, izzy. I've been watching and reading about the chaotic situation in Belarus and protests in Minsk.

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, who took her husband's place in the election following his imprisonment, has indeed exited to Lithuania, along with the children. It is still unclear the exact reason/cause - choice by her or threats from Lukashenko. Tikhanovskaya's representative says that there was no option, as members of the team are being used as hostages.

www.edition.cnn.com/2020/08/11/europe/belarus-opposition-leader-flees-intl/index.html

www.reuters.com/article/us-belarus-idUSKCN2581OQ
"Thousands stage protest as EU weighs sanctions"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 08:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I checked out some of the coverage on BBC....Thanks for the heads ups....All of our news channels are covering Trump, the upcoming election, Corona Virus, Biden's choice for VP and how Herr Trump is reacting, Racial unrest and false assumptions about BLM. If we don't start paying attention to world events, we will wind up like Belarus with the opposition leader having to flee the country with her children.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 03:04 am
@glitterbag,
BBC journalists have been attacked my masked groups they believed were police, but who had nothing to identify themselves as such.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 03:06 am
@izzythepush,
Another protestor has died, he was kept locked up in a van. He had existing heart complaints.

6000 people have been arrested, that figure includes bystanders and children.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 03:21 am
I think a lot of this hinges on Putin. Belarus has two main trading partners the EU and Russia. The EU is already starting to draft sanctions so that leaves Russia.

Lukashenko and Putin don’t see eye to eye, Belarussians have been accused of spying for Putin and arrested. There’s an open dispute about how much Belarus will pay for Russian oil and gas.

I get the feeling Putin will bail out Lukashenko with huge concessions in Russia‘s favour. That will be a temporary fix, but this won’t go away.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
The protestors seem to have taken a leaf out of the ‘wall of moms’ playbook. Women dressed in white and carrying flowers are currently protesting.

Total number of people detained 6700.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,
I've seen a few of the photo's, people being beaten with batons, women cowering on sidewalks...I have no words
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 01:50 pm
@glitterbag,
It is shocking but I’ve just read a news report about how the brutality has caused ordinary people to lose their fear.

One can only hope it reaches tipping point soon, but reports of black clad security forces snatching people is not good. Apparently the lad that died in custody wasn’t even protesting, he was off to see his girlfriend.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 03:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I get the feeling Putin will bail out Lukashenko...

Lukashenko is certainly hoping.

www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/world/europe/belarus-russia-Lukashenko-Putin.html

"Under siege in Belarus, Lukashenko turns to Putin"
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 03:21 pm
@Sturgis,
It really has ratcheted up recently with thousands attending a protester’s funeral. Videos of security forces, police and army personnel are trending.
0 Replies