XP nightmare

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:21 am
Ok, so my sons friend (telling me he knew what he was doing) removed my Windows 98 and installed XP, which I've had nothing but trouble with. I called my brother who is a computer tech and he told me that if my sons friend knew what he was doing, he would have known that my computer couldn't handle XP and he can't help me get rid of it because he doesn't know what my sons friend did.
So, my sons friend has been ignoring my plea to remove the XP, so I can re-install my 98.
I can barely do anything with this XP on this computer and I would appreciate any assistance in helping me get rid of this XP.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dahlien

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:40 pm
go to add and remove programs and remove it there, also contact your computer manufacturer for furthr. There also amybe a computer repair listing in yellow pages in your area, like a tech college they take computers and fix them as class projects for a small fee.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Depending on what your son's freind did when he installed WinXP, you may or may not have the option to uninstall it and restore to Win98. However, using a standard (and downloadable) Win98 installation floppy to initiate the install, which then would proceed from the Win98 installation CD, you can reformat your drive (which will wipe out your personal data and installed applications - bummer, but that's the way it goes). Another possibility - pretty techy - exists, involving what is called a PE disk, something which should be attempted only by a pretty geeky 'puter nerd type already familiar with the process. That option MIGHT enable the recovery of your personal stuff to removeable media prior to format-and-reinstall of an operating system, but even then there's no guarantee; I've had it work, and I've had it not work.

I have my doubts, but I'm willing to see if I can be any further help. Could you give me the specifics of your computer - brand, model, processor type and speed, installed RAM, approximate date of manufacture, that sort of thing? I dunno for sure what I can do for ya, but I don't mind giving it a shot.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:38 am
Thanks folks. I forgot about this thread or I would have been here sooner to let you know that I took my computer to my computer tech and he got rid of the XP. He re-installed my windows98 and I'm all set.
I realized that it was much too complicated for me to try and tackle, so I left it to the pro's.

Thanks again for the help :-D
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:49 am
my XP has been completely unstable as well.. >sigh<
but what do you expect from a company like microsoft who has no competition and CAN put out an unstable product , KNOWING people HAVE to use it.
>grrrr< Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
I hear ya. From what I've heard about XP, I'm in no hurry to lose my 98.
0 Replies

opensource

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:42 am
It's a fairly straightforward process to fix..
You should be able to use your win 98 cdrom to fix the whole mess

1st the win xp partition must be deleted, then a fat32 partition created and formatted.. an fdisk /mbr might not be a bad idea either.
You've probably resolved the matter by now but I'm going to create a tutorial for this procedure just because i have nothing better to do, and I want to play with a new piece of software that i just got.

On what type file system xp was installed on would be nice to know, because if it was told to retain the existing fat32 file system that 98 was on, it will save you a few steps..

I've seen this many times where xp was installed on older hardware and the machine can hardly boot into the desktop... ( xp hardly runs on multi gigahertz, gazillion megs of ram machines anyway ( :
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:20 am
What I'd do is wipe the disk, install win98 on it, and then install win ME overtop of 98.

Windows ME was basically just a bug fix for 98; in contrast to 98, the drivers for ME all seemed to work.
0 Replies

opensource

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:50 am
I like winme because it does have better hardware support, but the system restore feature is a virus magnet. IMHO the whole windows family is trash and the next release will probably have companies and home users running to some version of "nix". I keep a copy of xp running because I need it to clean the vermin out of peoples windows boxes.
There are several ways to address the xp nightmare. Your route will work provided ya shell out the whatever it cost for a winme upgrade disk.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
we have an ME and an XP in the house. I just hang on to my 98.
0 Replies

opensource

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:44 am
All the warts aside, 98 seems to be the most stable of the lot.. Had I read the other posts instead of being so anxious to trash mico$oft , I'd have seen that the matter is resolved. Glad it worked out for you. Happy computing ( :
0 Replies