"Absentee ballots" versus "mail ballots" (USA)

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 08:29 am
In Germany, in all elections and in all states, postal votes are available on demand since 1957. There is no requirement for an excuse since some couple of years. (See: Postal ballot)

I wonder what - in the USA - is the difference between "absentee ballots", which Trump claims are secure, and "mail ballots", which he constantly attacks.

Such distinctions are unknown here - and in any other EU-country as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,850 • Replies: 92

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:22 am
with absentee ballots, you have to request them and show proper identification and be registered to vote in the state where you legally reside. You make the request , it is acknowledged and a ballot is mailed to you , typically 30-45 days before the election.

The mail-in ballots that are being proposed is a mass mailing (millions of them) and they would be returned with no proof of residency or identification as to who filled the ballot out . How do you or other EU countries get around the potential fraud ?
shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:28 am
actually, I just looked at your link.....it appears there is a pre-registration in your country (much like here to do an absentee ballot) to request a postal ballot.

Here in the US, there is also long ong0ing debate about voters even not having to show photo identification. Democrats seemingly argue that requiring photo identification is some form of racist suppression - go figure.

Republicans want laws passed that photo identification needs to be presented to vote

Auf Wiedersehen

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:39 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:
How do you or other EU countries get around the potential fraud ?
Postal voting is as secure as voting in person - there can be fraud, theoretically,with both.

Six years ago there was a case of electoral fraud in the local elections of a Bavarian municipality: Romanian harvest workers of an asparagus farmer had voted by mail, namely the wife of this farmer, although they could not have done so.
The mistake, however, lay with the municipal election office, which sent these Romanians the election notifications and had not checked whether they were entitled to vote at all. (As temporary residents they were not)
The wife did not accept her mandate - and was also excluded from the party. (She is now in an even more right-wing party than before.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:43 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:
.....it appears there is a pre-registration in your country (much like here to do an absentee ballot) to request a postal ballot.
We are registered automatically and get our election notifications automatically as well. And in this letter is the form with which you can order the postal ballot papers.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:52 am
there are controls in your country......what Trump is talking about is mass mailings and returns of mail-in ballots with no control.....Theoretically, every registered voter in the United States could request an absentee ballot and then mail it in and all would be fine.....sure, I suppose even in that environment, I could vote my wife's ballot illegibly but I wouldn't be able to take a stack of 100 ballots and mail them in for my favorite candidate.
Registering to vote is pretty simple here - usually can just do it when you get your drivers license. Once y6ou are registered, you remain registered until you change your residency

I recently contacted Florida and told them I need an absentee ballot mailed to me in Oklahoma (I am registered to vote in Florida). They looked me up , see that I am registered, and mail me the ballot in October.......pretty simple.

Seems like our absentee ballot is similar to your postal balloting, but the administration of it is different.....Millions of ballots are not being provided to millions of unknown Germans (and non-Germans) and being returned....I would even suspect that your postal ballot has some sort of identification number on it so that if you mail it back in, they can trace it right bac k to you.....Ja ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:59 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:
Theoretically, every registered voter in the United States could request an absentee ballot and then mail it in and all would be fine.....sure, I suppose even in that environment, I could vote my wife's ballot illegibly but I wouldn't be able to take a stack of 100 ballots and mail them in for my favorite candidate.
Registering to vote is pretty simple here - usually can just do it when you get your drivers license.
Same here - for both: you get registered from birth onward [or moved to another municipality], get your voting documents when you are 18 (or 16, depending on state and election), and every voter could, in theory, vote by mail.
Yes, I could vote for my wife or a neighbour or ... if we sign the postal ballot papers with an unlawful affidavit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:07 pm
@shug23,
In pa, very mail-in corresponds to your name and ID and bears a barcoe that you keep as proof of purchase.

Works out fine and no fraud was noted.
The mail in in PA is now being challenged on two fronts because Trump is scared of losing.
1 He has defunded much of the walking around postal service and letter transfer so the delivery times are guranteed to be slowed down by severl dys

2 Hes had USPS sue the state for providing these "drop locations" so All ballots can get in on time without having to sustain the planned disenfranchisement that TRump wants to build over our election process.

We hve but one chance to get rid of this PIG and hes trying like crazy to hng on.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:17 pm
@farmerman,
While Trump claimed the U.S. Postal Service "could never handle the Traffic of Mail-In Votes", the German Post (DHL) makes special advertising campaigns before any election: Use the postal vote and enjoy election day otherwise. (Up to 30% of all votes here are done by post - started with just 5% in 1957.)
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:19 pm
I only have a small problem with legitimate, controlled mail in voting and that is, election day is one day in November . I think votes shouldn't be cast 30-60-90 days in advance .

I dont know anything about Pennsylvania. I assume eelctions are loclly run however, not federally run
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:35 pm
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:
I think votes shouldn't be cast 30-60-90 days in advance .
We must receive our election notifications here at least three weeks before the elections.
Theoretically, you could vote on that day already(if you fill out the ballot papers in person at the town's election department) or if you received them by post. (In our city this is three weeks before the election day)
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:53 pm
I think around 60% of eligible American voters vote vs about 76 % in Germany. This year, in order to boost turnout, Republicans will vote on November 3rd and Democrats will vote on November 4th to avoid long lines and Covid risk
roger

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:53 pm
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

I only have a small problem with legitimate, controlled mail in voting and that is, election day is one day in November . I think votes shouldn't be cast 30-60-90 days in advance .
snip

We had an election about 15 years ago, and that made a difference. I voted on election day. If I had taken advantage of the early (not mail in) voting, I would have voted for the Republican. Do do some serious financial issues, I had to vote for the Democrat. Turns out, I was one of 21 voters that gave it to the Democrat.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 12:58 pm
I think early voting isn't really a great idea and you ended up doing it right, even if a Democrat was the beneficiary of your vote
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
why do you say a person is disenfranchised if he or she doesn't have the convenience of mail-in voting ?

would you also say a person is disenfranchised if he or she doesn't have the convenience of calling in their vote ? or submitting it from the convenience of their home on the internet while they watch The Price is Right ?
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:29 pm
@shug23,
Progressives like to falsely accuse people of the same sort of wrongdoing that progressives commit.

Since progressives deliberately disenfranchise people, they therefore falsely accuse others of disenfranchising people.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:54 pm
@oralloy,
point out where that hs happened in this age?? As I said before, its you guys who engage in the wrongdoing and then try to blame the other side.
Ive said that many many time. I see youve copied my point. SEE?
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
Barack Obama and the Democratic Party disenfranchised the state of Michigan in the 2008 presidential primaries.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:12 pm
@oralloy,
No one believes a word you say. Not even your hero CJ.
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:25 pm
@RABEL222,
Progressives sure are despicable people. It's bad enough that progressives go around disenfranchising people. But they then compound their crimes by denying the harm that they cause.

That's one more reason to vote for Mr. Trump and the Republicans. They actually care about people's voting rights.