"Absentee ballots" versus "mail ballots" (USA)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2020 09:31 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Trump and the first lady requested mail-in ballots for Florida's primary election on Tuesday, according to Palm Beach County records.

"Trump and the first lady requested absentee ballots"

Pretty sure we discussed the difference between a mail-in ballot and an absentee ballot. That both are delivered by mail does make them the same thing. Is this going to need to be discussed every day?
Sorry for my bad grammar. I didn't want to discuss this with my above response. My bad that it sounds like it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2020 09:34 am
@shug23,
I have no idea that "bullets 1 and 2 are facts".

Personally - I don't live in the USA - I think that the more people vote, the better it is.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2020 09:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that the more people vote, the better it is.

I agree with you on this. They just have to do it the right way and the process should not be cheated.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:04 am
you are, of course entitled to your opinion/ desire to dumb down the electorate who, in turn, put people in charge of your life
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:10 am
@shug23,
The electorate should be everyone old enough. You don’t have to take an exam to be able to vote.

Are you saying that you don’t believe in democracy that only a few people should be allowed to vote?

As for a dumb electorate, you can blame your education system for that. When I went to university for the first time American exchange students in their third year were put in with us Freshers and even then they couldn’t keep up.

As a wet behind the ears 18 year old I had to explain how to write an essay to a mature American third year student in her 40s. I never thought I’d have to do **** like that.
shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:13 am
@izzythepush,
who said anything about tests ? We are having a debate about sending every registered voter a ballot to mail in. I am pointing out one of the consequences.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:16 am
@shug23,
You’re complaining about some people voting, people who you consider too dumb.

That’s what you’re doing, it’s anti democratic and fascistic.

It’s clear that the “dumb” voters all voted for Trump.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:21 am
I am just pointing out statistics; sorry they bother you......I make no claim that Dems or Republicans are more or less smart or dumb than the other group.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:25 am
@shug23,
Now you’re lying to yourself.

Why don’t you just admit you’re an anti democratic fascist who wants to deny people the vote?

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:32 am
so the answer to my question has been
a) because I think more people should vote or
b) you are a fascist....
c) Trump voters are dumb

got it
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:34 am
@shug23,
You didn’t ask a question.

You really are stupid.

I ‘m sorry but I can’t keep using your backwards vernacular. Dumb is a word stupid people use and it really grates.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:38 am
I don't believe I introduced the word 'dumb' into the conversation; I think actually you did (and the word 'stupid').... and here is the question I posed, to refresh your memory:

"so, again, why is it in our country's best interest to increase the participation rate amongst people who haven't completed a high school education - which is what ' the voting by mail' effort will produce?"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
shug23 wrote:
We are having a debate about sending every registered voter a ballot to mail in. I am pointing out one of the consequences.
Today I got that mail - like 56,140 others in my town. (Additionally, those 15,582 non-Germans entitled to vote for the local integration council - same procedure as with our election.)

Since we have the alternative either to vote by mail or at a polling station - the consequences are equal: we will get a conservative mayor, a conservative dominated town council, a conservative "Landrat" (highest administrative position of our district) and a even more conservative district council.

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:47 am
@shug23,
To answer your question with another question,

Why are you to trying to stifle any American who has the right to vote to perform their duty to do so?
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:58 am
I am not in favor of testing anybody (other than picture ID to prove they are who they say they are and are legally entitled to vote ). I am not in favor of intimidating anybody to exercise their right to vote. I am not wanting to stifle anyone's rights to vote, free speech, have a gun, whatever.

As far as stifling the vote goes; if Germany were to eliminate their mail-in voting I would see an argument that voters were stifled in that an option was taken away. This is not the situation here in USA. We don't have mail-in voting, so nothing is being taken away to stifle anybody

I am pointing out a consequence of sending out ballots to every registered voter. I have presented statistics which are undeniable. I have pointed out a consequence.......

You are entitled to think that is a good consequence; I am entitled to think it is a bad consequence.....
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 06:08 am
@shug23,
But you ARE trying to intimidate. You're saying people who do not have a high school education are not intelligent enough to cast a vote. That in itself is highly suspect, morally wrong and voter suppressive.

shug23

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 06:16 am
@neptuneblue,
no, sorry..I am arguing for status quo....
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 06:19 am
@shug23,
And exactly what is your version of status quo?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 06:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I get emails from the Labour Party asking me to request a postal vote so I don’t miss out. Never have, I like the procedure of voting, and we don’t have queues at polling stations.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 06:47 am
@izzythepush,
I use postal votes now regularly (and liked it the decades before since I hadn't had to count them as a member of the electoral board Wink ).

Minutes ago, I ordered the ballot papers online.