"Absentee ballots" versus "mail ballots" (USA)

RABEL222

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 01:27 pm
@oralloy,
More lying bull schit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 02:09 pm
Mail-in voting versus absentee voting: What's the difference?

So, just to be clear, they are not the same thing.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 09:57 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
So, just to be clear, they are not the same thing.
That's why I asked.
Because
Quote:
Typically, absentee ballots refer to ballots that are requested and then mailed when a person can't vote in person. Mail-in ballots refer to ballots in the context of policies that allow all people to vote by mail.

we do so here, with just one word ("Briefwahl") for it: all voters can vote by mail, but you have to request it.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 10:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The difference between requesting an absentee ballot and just mailing out ballots to every registered voter is vast. Who knows if a registered voter is dead or alive or moved or in prison or a Democrat.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 10:39 pm
@McGentrix,
Well that's known here. (People in prison can vote unless they'd been convicted of crimes that targeted the state or democratic order.)

[Leaving aside your "Democrat".]
McGentrix

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 01:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You can see the concern here though, right?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 01:11 am
@McGentrix,
No, since it worked here well since 1957 and does so elsewhere, too.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 02:07 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

I think around 60% of eligible American voters vote vs about 76 % in Germany. This year, in order to boost turnout, Republicans will vote on November 3rd and Democrats will vote on November 4th to avoid long lines and Covid risk

Nice try, there are not separate voting days for Dems and Repubs.....if you vote on the 4th, you miss the election and your vote is not counted. I can't give you points for originality, since that particular lie is repeated every election, especially in areas that have a large African American population. I have seen billboards reminding people to vote the day after the election, also a warning that child support payments or traffic tickets have to be paid before you can vote. This is done to confuse and mis-inform American citizens to prevent them from exercising their right to vote.

I just applied for a ballot in Maryland, since the polling places will be reduced from 1180 t0 under 400 polling places. I know they are having trouble getting the regulars to man the polling places because of the Virus........but I'm no longer able to wait in long lines because of 2 compression fractures mid back.

According to Maryland State Government information there is no difference between a absentee ballot and a mail-in ballot. I'd prefer to vote in person, but I'm covering all the bases so I can cast my ballot in November.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 02:21 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The difference between requesting an absentee ballot and just mailing out ballots to every registered voter is vast. Who knows if a registered voter is dead or alive or moved or in prison or a Democrat.

If a registered voter is dead, it highly unlikely they will show up to vote, If they move, they register to vote in their new polling place. If someone is in prison, it's hard cheese, because the incarcerated can't vote.................who knows Trump might wave his magical golfclub and allow the incarcerated Republicans a kitchen pass so they could stroll around and vote .
shug23

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:28 am
Here are some recent statistics that may be of interest. approximately 80% or registered voters vote in a general election (which is also around 58% of the total adult population). But participation in voting is skewed: One study has it that 23% o f registered votes that have less than a 9th grade education show up to vote ; 33% vote who have no diploma, 51% vote who have a diploma,65% vote who have some college, 71% of registered voters will vote who have a degree, and 76% who have advanced beyond a Bachelors.......So, If we assume mailing ballots to all registered voters in a state will increase participation rates, it follows that mail-in voting will increase the proportion of uninformed/uneducated people that make up the voting block . At least that's what the numbers would suggest. Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 11:11 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

If a registered voter is dead, it highly unlikely they will show up to vote, If they move, they register to vote in their new polling place. If someone is in prison, it's hard cheese, because the incarcerated can't vote.................who knows Trump might wave his magical golfclub and allow the incarcerated Republicans a kitchen pass so they could stroll around and vote .

Hmmmm... how do I put this delicately... I have recently gone through my ignore list and clear the entire thing. Some people have been on there for quite some time, others were recent additions.

I sometimes wonder if you just pretend to be the way you are or if it is actually how you are. I know you are smart enough to understand the context of what I said and know that the views I represent are opposite the ones you represent.

So, if I worry about just mailing out ballots to every registered voter willy nilly might be concerning for specific reasons you should be able to cognitively grasp what the concerns are.

For example, I say "Who knows if a registered voter is dead or alive" and then you say "If a registered voter is dead, it highly unlikely they will show up to vote," I have to wonder why your reading comprehension skills rival those of a 1st grader. The conversation is about mailed ballots going to a dead person and you say "it highly unlikely they will show up to vote," well, no ****.

But, an unethical person, deciding they don't like one candidate or another grabs that mailed ballot, fills it out and sends it back in, that is election fraud. See how that works? This also applies to many of the other examples I gave. That is why absentee ballots have to be requested and not just mailed out to everyone.

I think you get it but are being argumentative on purpose. Or, at least that is what I will tell myself.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 11:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well that's known here.

What is known there?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 11:43 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
"Who knows if a registered voter is dead or alive"

Here, bureaucrates what we Germans are, everything is regulated by law: "The votes of a voter who participated in the postal vote shall not be invalidated by the fact that he dies before or on the election day." Here translated from the Federal Electoral Law [Section I, Article 39 (Invalid Votes, Rejection of Postal Ballot Letters, Rules for Establishing Invalidity)] States' electoral votes may differ slightly, mainly in wording.

If you want to vote in person at a polling station, but unfortunately die before 8 o'clock on election day (we always vote on Sundays at any election, polling stations always are open between 8 and 18 o'clock), that name is deleted from the electoral roll (updated at 7 o'clock).

(Incidentally, a by-election will be held if a constituency candidate is admitted but dies before election day.)
roger

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 02:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Man, you guys think of everything.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 03:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
If a registered voter is dead, it highly unlikely they will show up to vote,

Someone else will show up for them. Or someone will mail in a ballot for them if received by mail. Dead voters need to be purged.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 03:41 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Man, you guys think of everything.

I can name two times they did not think of everything. WWI and WWII.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 03:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote from McG's post:

"Hmmmm... how do I put this delicately... I have recently gone through my ignore list and clear the entire thing. Some people have been on there for quite some time, others were recent additions.

I sometimes wonder if you just pretend to be the way you are or if it is actually how you are. I know you are smart enough to understand the context of what I said and know that the views I represent are opposite the ones you represent."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not interested in pretending to be delicate so let me be direct, it seems like a pointless exercise for you to 'wonder' anything about me.... I agree with you on some issues but I also believe you are sometimes crippled by this desperate need to see everything in black and white i.e republican - good and virtue infused...democrat - evil and hate America. Why in the world would I be required or even inclined to tutor you about anything. I'm not interested in recruiting people to join an imaginary group you think I belong to. I suggest you save your self the worry and continue to keep me on ignore. I think you will be much happier, unless of course you think I'm distressed by these snide digs you attempt. That would be kind of sad, don't you think? Cheers Skippy
coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 03:56 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Why in the world would I be required or even inclined to tutor you about anything.

Good question. What makes you think you can teach somebody anything?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 09:55 pm
@coldjoint,
There was no postal voting in those days. (As said above, it only started in 1957.) War is not part of the Electoral Law here.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 10:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
There was no postal voting in those days.

I did not say there was. I pointed out two things Germany did not really think through.